I need someone to make me Wolfeboro station

rwk

I would be willing to pay someone to make me the Wolfeboro, NH passenger station. Ben Dorsey, and apparently Jim Weaver who made one for his now defunct payware page on Dave Drake's Tall Trees site (also no longer working) in 2007 is no longer with us. I asked Dave Snow and he can't, he normally doesn't take requests and he doesn't feel well. Or, as an alternative, can someone explain which tool would be easiest to create a station in. I was thinking about Sketchup because it has a Trainz plug in, and I saw other Sketchup models on the DLS. I have all angles of the station from Google street view and historical photos. I just need to figure out where to start. When creators make stations, are the main building, roof, windows, etc. drawn as separate objects and then merged together or drawn as one object? I was thinking about using this, does it export whatever you draw in Sketchup into a format Trainz can read? https://www.dhobh.net/Trainz/GoogleSketchUp/RubyTMIX.htm I need someone to walk me through this. Is Sketchup easier to use than gmax, blender, etc. but has a higher polycount?

Here is the Wolfeboro station probably in the 70's or early 80's when tracks still went up to the station. This looks like a complex station to build in a 3D tool.

12148332853_9930bc9874_b.jpg

Last edited:
I am not offering to make this for you (I have no skills in that area) but to answer your questions:-

Sketchup is generally considered easier to learn than other 3D modelling programs but, as a read through the many threads on this issue will reveal, it does have major "issues" when it comes to creating assets for Trainz. Many of us, myself included, will refuse to download assets created in Sketchup because of their very large polycount and file sizes.

The photo looks like it will be a complicated model regardless of which program you use to create it - but it will depend on how much detail you want included.

GMax is old, very old, and lacks many of the advanced features that Trainz is capable of showing and are now essential.

Many posters in the threads mentioned above will tell you that Blender (which is free) has a steep learning curve but once mastered, it will produce far superior and far better "Trainz friendly" creations than Gmax and Sketchup.

My views.

Yes, and I wouldn't pay $2,000.00 for that 3dsMax or whatever it is. I'd rather use a free software if possible. But I did a workaround for now. Reskinned objects from the DLS that have a free use/reskins ok license.

87149855_10220626616351998_66417232531423232_n.jpg

Doing workarounds with existing assets, even simply making a lash-up as in your model above, is what most of us do.

In the real world just about every structure is unique and it would be impossible to spend the time creating every one of them individually for a layout, and then there would be the system overload in rendering thousands of unique objects in a single scene.

I reuse the same objects throughout a layout. I use them in lash-ups with other frequently used objects. I often use low resolution assets further out from the track or, when close to the track, I place trees (only a very few types) in front to help hide them. I reduce my spline usage as much as possible (splines are another hog of system resources) and many dirt roads can be replaced by the careful use of dirt textures (and often look better for it).

While stations are obvious focal points of a layout, most other assets will be seen only briefly as your consist flashes by so why waste the time and system resources on them.

If you try to learn Blender I would strongly recommend finding the older versions on the blender.org website and downloading version 2.79b. There are tons of tutorials on YouTube for that version and earlier. The interface changed a lot in 2.80 and the tutorials are hard to follow using it.

William

Last edited:
The station is Mound House station by pencil42 reskinned red. I thought about asking him if he would modify it for me and reposition some doors and windows since they are modeled into the mesh and change the ends of the roof on the upper part. Then it would be a bit more accurate. If there’s a will, there’s a way. I don’t think I will ever be able to track down Jim Weaver’s Wolfeboro station. I think it was Pencil42 that replied to me that he passed away several years ago. But what happens when someone uploads a route that has an item or items from a third party site that went belly up and the creator passed away? Are objects made by a creator who passed away fair game then? Like Ben Dorsey or Elvenor for example. I mean items that were on a third party site and are no longer downloadable but some people might have them already. Is it ok to redistribute them then?

Last edited:
You might be in luck if you are not in a hurry as I was toying with the idea of making a station. I'd prefer to make it for TRS19 and PBR but I see you have TANE. Perhaps I could make two.

The signal is a concern and I suspect it might have to be a separate asset and preferably someone else's since I know little about signals.

And it won't cost you anything except some patience. PM me if you are interested.

Paul,

There are signals like that available separately by George Fisher.

<kuid2:106916:10313:1> CBQ Train Order Board C-C
<kuid:106916:10314> CBQ Train Order Board C-S
<kuid:106916:10315> CBQ Train Order Board S-C
<kuid:106916:10316> CBQ Train Order Board S-S

and

<kuid:106916:10304> SP Train Order Board C-C
<kuid:106916:10305> SP Train Order Board C-S
<kuid:106916:10306> SP Train Order Board S-C
<kuid:106916:10307> SP Train Order Board S-S

Are objects made by a creator who passed away fair game then? Like Ben Dorsey or Elvenor for example. I mean items that were on a third party site and are no longer downloadable but some people might have them already. Is it ok to redistribute them then?

With assets from deceased creators the best thing to do is to look at the asset config.txt file and see what restrictions (if any) the creator has placed on the asset. If, as some of them have done, is to allow reskinning, mods and redistribution as long as credit is given to the original creator, then you have no problems. If there is nothing about restrictions or permissions then you have to assume that there is no permission.

With living creators, where the work is on the DLS or 3rd party sites (still present or not) then again check the config.txt file. If there is nothing there then send the creator a PM or email explaining what you want to do and why and, very politely, asking for permission. No response = no permission.

People here in these forums will come down very heavily, with justification, on creators who illegally copy others works and upload them to the DLS or other sites.

Paul, I’m willing to accept your offer. I’m in no rush for the station because I managed to make a kitbash substitute that although not perfect, looks close enough. I can no longer access the pictures of Jim Weaver’s version to show you because the wayback archive page didn’t save them and it’s from 2007. Pencil42 said he passed away several years ago. I think Jim’s model had everything modeled from see through windows and doors to the fancy trim around the station roofs. The signal, you don’t have to model it. I’ll just find one to use like George Fisher’s mentioned above. I have a big soft cover book about tourist railroads from 1985 and the Wolfeboro was in it with #250. #250 used to run at the WK&S in Kempton, PA from 1963-1968. WK&S started operations in 1963 on a three and a quarter mile segment of a Reading Company branch that was abandoned north of Kempton a year before. They wanted to go to Germansville but a landowner past Wanamaker refused to sell so the track was ended at his property line along Rt. 143 past Wanamakers. #250 was sold to Wolfeboro in 1972. I live about 15 miles east of Kempton near Fogelsville. I was born Jan 1974 so I missed seeing the #250 in action at the WK&S. I’m making #250 using one of Ben Neal’s locomotives modified with a 2-6-2 wheel arrangement. That is easy to do, by replacing the kuid’s in the configs of the three bogeys. He is pretty cool with modifying, reskinning, and redistributing his content. And the loco works in TANE for me. I can’t beat up on myself for not purchasing Jim’s station in 2007 when it was available, he actually closed his site on Dave Drake’s site but reopened it again. And now Dave Drake’s site is gone but most of his content is on the DLS. Then it closed again. I just have to look forward and hope that Paul is able to deliver for me. I was actually considering purchasing Trainz 19 this year. But I hope he will also make a TANE version.

Do you want the pedestrian path across the track that looks like a recent addition at the time of the photograph. Based on the cars/autos I'm guessing it was taken in the 70's or 80's?

I just looked at Google street view and the station looks very similar to your photo and I can see the building all round. That's fantastic and will make it easier.

Yes, you can put the pedestrian path in. Yes, the station photo is from the 70's or early 1980's when tourist trains were running. They ended after 1985. The State of New Hampshire purchased the row and turned it into a rails with trails, leaving most of the rails intact except the part into town to the station. Those tracks were removed at some point and parking lot paved and parking spaces added where the tracks were in front of the station. But I'm going to model it as an active tourist railroad so I will have tracks up to the station. The tracks once went a little further toward the boat dock but were ended at the station at some point with a bumper post. I suppose the run around was further back and trains would pull up or back into the station for boarding and debarking. When do you think you will start the station? I'm in no hurry but I just wanted to know so I have an idea about how long it might take. You don't have to model the signal, either as I can find one myself.

Last edited:
I also might use pencil42’s 60lb track instead because Wolfeboro’s track was 57lb rail. The track I used looks too big. But, I don’t think any of pencil’s track is procedural with switch flanges for TANE unless he has Trainz19 procedural track. I can live without the switch flanges but it looks more realistic with them.

Pencil42's sg 60lb track series is procedural. It's TB 4.6 so I think it's for TRS19 only. Uses trainzmesh and PBR materials but he includes the fbx files.

Bob Pearson

Hey JCitron, thanks for the semaphore links ....... I could use those. Say Hi to Merrimac for me. Wicked little town with 1 set of lights ! .......miss it there. I moved just when I figured out what a "set of lights" was.

"GMax is old, very old, and lacks many of the advanced features that Trainz is capable of showing and are now essential.".....Pware.......I'm still using GMAX. When you say "essential" , where would I run into a dead end with GMAX, just curious.

RWK: That's a beautiful station up there in Wolfsboro. Great example from the Victorian period. I'm sorry now I didn't take a trip up to Laconia (south side of Wolfsboro Lake_) while I lived in southern NH for a short time.
My route is from the late 1800's in Central New York, and I be making some stations that are similar, but I haven't seen one yet that elaborate. Glad they're talking care of gem. Now if we can only get passenger service back....

Last edited:
And I'm from eastern PA where we have a bunch of tourist railroads. I've been on most of them. WK&S, Strasburg, BM&R/RBMN, New Hope, etc. I wish there were more stations from tourist railroads for Trainz, like the WK&S stations, New Hope station, etc.

I go down to Bradford, PA regularly, following the Erie RR tracks. They filmed some scenes from the movie "Unstoppable" along that way and a couple clips from Olean, NY.
One of my favorite tourist railroads is the Adirondack Scenic RR that runs from Utica north and switches over to the tracks past Remsen, heading north east up to Thendara. I'd sure love to see passenger service running in and out of Binghamton, NY again !

Anyway, I had to go check out Wolfsboro, NH on Google Earth. Real nice looking area up there.
Wolfsburo-Station.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] area up there !

Back