Random CTDs in 105100 and 106291

DaveL

Recovering RBR Addict
The title says it all, I'm afraid!

Tony, are these CTDs most often linked to the program itself OR are they sometimes linked to the hardware?

IF they are linked to the hardware, is there a common thread or are they still a random occurrence?

I have even had one or two occur with nothing happening on screen, but most often when I have initiated a screen movement or move to an object.

Dave
(looking forward to stability!)

Mostly software (hardware issues are more likely to result in a black screen, OS reboot, power off etc).

Most commonly the cause is a specific set of circumstances that generally include a single asset that causes the problem. The challenge is therefore to find the item. This is done by disabling various sets of content until the same steps do not result in a crash, then re-enabling things to workout the culprit.

The most likely assets are those that include scripting and/or animations (so a ground texture is rarely the cause).

And whilst they seem random, there is most likely a very predictable set of steps that will cause it to happen - and that's the information we need to resolve it.

Back