Proposed new build PC

twarner

Around since 2001
I have done a litle research and talked to custom build companies, some who even understand the problems associated with Trainz.

I am, at the moment poised to purchase the following setup and would appreciated any comments from you knowledgeable people out there before going ahead.

It may seem overkill in places but my thinking is that it's better to be a little OTT in places which will then also hopefully work satisfactorily on later versions without upgrades.

CPU i7 9700K overclocked to around 4.1GHz 8 Core 8 Thread
Memory 32GB DDR4
GPU GeForce RTX 2070 Super
SSD 2TB M.2 PCIE

Running on Windows 10 (Home) 64bit

It will only be used to run Trainz.

Kind regards to all
Terry

Sounds like a great build! Keep us updated with how it works for you.

I'm still plugging right along with the specs in my signature.

Matt

Looks reasonable I assume you're going with a 1920 x 1080 screen. A 4 k monitor would require considerably more computer power.

Cheerio John

The 32 G of RAM is a bit of overkill. I have 16 G in this machine and rarely see even 1/2 of that used in Trainz2019.

The 32 G of RAM is a bit of overkill. I have 16 G in this machine and rarely see even 1/2 of that used in Trainz2019.

TS19 might not use it on a small layout but win 10 will use it to cache the hard drives and it wasn't so long ago that 2 gigs of memory was considered reasonable for win 10.

Cheerio John

Looks reasonable I assume you're going with a 1920 x 1080 screen. A 4 k monitor would require considerably more computer power.

Cheerio John

That's right John.

I was warned about that in conversations with the prospective builders.

Cheers
Terry

Last edited:
Would 64 GB RAM be complete overkill, and never used by Trainz ?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by johnwhelan

Cheerio John

By "Power" do you mean an 850 watt PS, or RAM ?

Computer muscle if you will a 4k monitor is 3840x2160 or has 8,294,400‬ pixels, 1920 by 1080 has 2,073,600 pixels. So an RTX 2070 will give you roughly a quarter of the frames per second on a4k monitor than you'd get with a 1920 by 1080 monitor same content etc.

Cheerio John

32gb RAM is not overkill and will be needed if you would like to merge large routes. My route of 1.1gb and too big for a cdp needed every bit of 32gb to successfully merge.
cheers
Graeme

twarner - That would be a superb rig for running TRS19. You'll get much more than 4.1Ghz (all cores) out of the i7 9700k, as it is rated at over 4.9Ghz for its 2 best cores at least. TRS19 will use - and love - those faster cores!
grazlash - Agree - whilst my current rigs have 16Gb of DDRAM each, my next desktop computer upgrade will sport 32Gb or possibly more.
My GPUs sport 8Gb and 11Gb of GDDR5 memory respectively and I'd expect to go to greater amounts of either GDDR6 or HBM2 for any upgrade graphics cards.
At present, very few of my highest-detailed and complex TRS19 routes/ sessions utilize much more than half of the available RAM or VRAM - but a few of my productivity apps occasionally use much more.
Accordingly, I always set much larger allocations of virtual memory (i.e. pagefiles on my HDDs) than Windows OS 10 recommends to accommodate some of those out-of-field memory-guzzling instances that earlier beta versions of T:ANE and TRS19 have thrown up in the past - e.g. >75Gb in one instance! - which is OK only as long as you have terabytes of free diskspace to spare.
Increasing your pagefile size would also cater for super-sized route merges, though these would not complete nearly as fast as similar-sized amounts of physical random access memory.

Last edited:
Looks good,

I'm running an i5-4670K at 4.2 GHz (overclocked from 3.4), 16GB Ram, and an MSI 2060 graphics.
That handles TS19/Tane at better than 40fps (for the long routes!) at high/ultra graphics.

I'd suggest that you consider an enhanced cooler for the CPU (i.e. not-stock) - although the MSI 2060 I have is fine (less than 60C at full use), I suspect that standard CPU coolers aren't rated for 100% use for hours..

Similarly, choose a case design with good cooling and a reputable power supply. I'm also using a Gigabyte M/B - one where the capacitors are high quality (following the failure of a number of motherboards due to poor quality capacitors). Also, chackto see you have a decent on-board sound system.

Cheers,

Colin

My computer

Intel Pentium G5400 3.7GHz
Memory 8gb DDR4 Kingston HX
MSI GTX 1050 Gaming X
1TB SSHD Seagate FireCuda

and I play at high settings 40+ fps

Hi,
Given the current fiscal situation, we're not buying "luxuries" - part of our income was/is from investments,. These have plummeted in value & returns, so we're giving them a holiday until they recover.
I see that my MSI 2060 card has increased in cost by >10%, and I suspect that some shortages will occur with electronics.

To your other point, while not minimising the severity of Covid-19, many apparently vulnerable people seem to have only mild symptoms. I look forward to hearing how your new PC runs TS19 in a month or so...
Alternatively, now you have the specs, use Tom's Hardware resource, buy the components and assemble it at home. Modern motherboards & components fit together quite easily, the trickiest part is always inserting the CPU into its socket, just needs a delicate touch.

My first computer was a single board, and I had to solder all the chip sockets, resistors & capacitors before assembly. I then had to track down any dry solder joints. That project took a couple of weeks!

All the best,
Colin

I have just upgraded from a NVidia 750 Ti card to the spec below.
Operating System: Windows W10 64-bit
Version: 6.0 Service Pack 2
System architecture: Intel CPU i7 Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:9 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2
Physical processor count: 2
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 4200 MHz
Video Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Video Card Renderer: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Video Card Built-in memory: 8gB
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colors
Video Card Driver: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_77e6900053c33f6f\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_77e6900053c33f6f\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_77e6900053c33f6f\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_77e6900053c33f6f\nvldumdx.dll
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4166
Built-in memory: 16340 MB

Performance by
PC Mark Ver. 10 – better than 79% of similar PC’s

I have reset the Performance settings to next to highest levels, Detail scenery to Off, for the time being and Antialiasing to 8x.
Achieving a lot better quality and frame rate.

Also regarding amount of RAM required for Trainz, as far as I am aware it only utilises 4 gB, I will stand corrected if anyone has other information.

JackDownUnder - Great new card. Congratulations! That is a HUGE improvement over the previous nVidia GTX 750Ti card!!
At 1920 by 1080 (1080p) screen resolution, TRS19 utilises around 4Gb of VRAM (i.e. on your graphics card) and up to around 12Gb DDRAM on your motherboard/ CPU combo when running full screen with all the eye-candy turned up in many highly-detailed routes and sessions.
Your GDDR6 use would go up quite a bit at 1440p or 4K however, so it is nice to know that you have that in reserve, if you upgrade your monitor(s).
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back