Download Route, Delete Route - What remains?

C_Blabsky

TRS19 Download Custom Routes

So custom routes installed, then deleted, what stays and what is actually deleted? Some routes include rolling stock, they remain in the collection, I believe, along with buildings, scenery, rules, etc., ones that are simultaneously dl'd from the DLS. Please explain how this basically works, and the practical application. Thanks!

So custom routes installed, then deleted, what stays and what is actually deleted?

When a route is downloaded from the DLS then any dependencies not already installed are also downloaded. If you delete the route the dependencies are not deleted. So the answer to your question is 'Everything except the route stays'. You can easily see what got downloaded with a route by viewing all installed assets in content manager and sorting by date.

Thank you for the clarification. I did notice things popping up, My Collection wise. Content Manager's secrets are still partially hidden to me, but I am dogged and will negotiate a working agreement with it.

I also saw in the forums that some of the routes that were missing dependencies were healed by the downloading of additional routes, a solution for some of my own 'unknowns.'

I also saw in the forums that some of the routes that were missing dependencies were healed by the downloading of additional routes, a solution for some of my own 'unknowns.'

That can become a slippery slope. The references you have seen may have been to DLC - there seems to be an expectation that you will download all the free DLC that comes with each version, and those who choose not to install everything are discovering that there are problems created by incomplete packaging.

For DLS routes the preferred procedure is to hunt for the missing content item-by-item. If the list is long then abandon that route. When you get the list down to a small number consider deleting missing assets and making you own adjustment for whatever gaps that might create in the route.

Add to that are route creators who use assets (e.g. locos, buildings, commodities, etc) from 3rd party web sites and these assets cannot be found on the DLS. This is made worse by the creator not providing any information on where to find those missing assets. To further compound the problems, some of those external web sites have closed down taking all their assets with them.

Thanks for the replies. In my own instance, downloading all the content and also supporting such producers as K&L, JR, Trainz Forge has me well supplied. Another plus was getting T:ANE recently.

As I learn more about CM, I'll be able to sort out a little more of things like, 'obsolete,' 'open for edit,' etc.

There's a gotcha to watch out for with installing non-DLS assets such as those directly from Jointed Rail.

When these non-DLS assets are installed, sometimes the same version has been installed previous through another asset, or sometimes they are built-in or part of a payware package. What occurs is these assets will remain open for edit and that will cause weird Trainz things to happen including missing dependencies.

My process is to open up the Open for Edit tab in Content Manager and then drag and drop the CDPs into the window. You can also import the CDP through the file menu, but I find this easier. As always, there's going to be some assets that will end up open for edit because they so happen to be used by multiple assets such as boxcar bogies, for example. (AKA the trucks).

Once everything is installed, I'll select all these open for edit assets, right-click, and choose revert to original.

After that's done, I always check for missing dependencies and other errors in case there are some due to some unknown issue.

Content Manager has many "hidden" secrets! It can do a lot and tell you more than is first apparent. For example, someone here showed me that there is a method to find and delete assets that are not currently used by installed Routes/Sessions. But you make more than one "pass" thru a filter to do this. So attempt to learn the CM as best you can. First thing to do is to set it to show all available columns. (Note: There are advantages to having and leaving assets, even if not used, as the next route/session you download may need it.) In short.. don't ignore the CM.

See post #4 in this thread as an example. If instructions are not clear to you feel free to ask for details if interested.

Last edited:
Back