Bulk removal of Rulers?

jcardana

Trainz Enthusiast
Yep, I'm bad at cleaning up after myself.

Is there a way to remove all rulers at once?

Thank you for your time,
Joe

I have not tried it myself however why not create a new layer called Rulers. and put them all on there. Then delete the layer when finished.

I have not tried it myself however why not create a new layer called Rulers. and put them all on there. Then delete the layer when finished.

Not near my computer so I cannot try it but I have noticed that in TRS19 the rulers are attached to the layers so it should work. I wish that had been the case about a year ago when I had hundreds of the beggers all over a route. It took me ages to remove them all.

G'day,

I find the best way is when finished with a ruler, delete it.
Why leave them there when you have moved to a different area.

DeRiCo

Now back at my computer and I have just tried it - alas it does not work but something weird does happen.

1. I created a layer named Rulers in the route layer group.
  2. I made sure that it was selected as the Active Layer
  3. I populated it with rulers
  4. I then deleted the Rulers layer but the rulers did not disappear.

That's strange I thought, because if you draw a ruler in a layer and then lock that layer, the ruler cannot be deleted. I continued experimenting.

1. I made the "route-layer" invisible and all the rulers disappeared - thats "curious"
  2. I made it visible again and the rulers stayed invisible - "curiouser and Curiouser"
  3. I created a new layer called Rulers in the route layer group and the data (distance and angle) at the end of each ruler reappeared, followed a few seconds later by the rulers themselves - beyond "curious"

I repeated the above steps and the results were the same.

I will put this in as a bug report.

I find the best way is when finished with a ruler, delete it.
Why leave them there when you have moved to a different area.

If only it was so easy. The project I was working on required a very large number of measurements from set points ("trigs" for want of a better term) to be marked out before any track could be laid. Eventually, there were so many rulers I suspect they were causing Trainz to crash.

Basically, what I have been doing...

On Google Earth, I'll measure out a length of track and then in TRS19, place a ruler, Then back to GE to measure the curve, then back to TRS19, another ruler. etc...

Thus... I lay all the track and have about 20-50 rulers to delete.

...alas it does not work
Using a two baseboard route...
I made a layer under my route, added three rulers.
Locked it. Could not add a ruler.
Unlocked it, added a fourth.
Hid it... rulers vanished.
Unhid it, rulers and info came back.
Removed the layer... took a few seconds, but the rulers did go away.

So it did work in TRS19 B:105096

On Google Earth, I'll measure out a length of track and then in TRS19, place a ruler, Then back to GE to measure the curve, then back to TRS19, another ruler. etc...

Thus... I lay all the track and have about 20-50 rulers to delete.

I did the same thing when I was creating Altoona Horseshoe Route and much more so building a Tampa Port Route. A LOT of measuring and transferring. Currently I'm more into modifying other people's excellent Routes.

But if I was going to start another Route from scratch, I would take the time to learn and use TransDem.

Rulers are I believe, a default route asset.

That has been the case in the past but my recent experiences (post #5) suggest otherwise. The first crack in that theory occurred when I noticed that when you lay down a ruler and then lock the active layer (the one that was active when the ruler was added) you can no longer delete the ruler until that layer is unlocked.

I have just conducted more tests in builds 105096 and 105100.

• Rulers are added to the current active layer.
  • Hiding that layer makes the rulers invisible.
  • Locking that layer stops them from being deleted or more rulers added.
  • Deleting that layer does not delete the rulers.

It is possible that the rulers are a default route asset, as you suggested, but are bound to the active layer when they were added.

I repeated the tests in TANE SP4 build 105766 and the results were the same.

Removed the layer... took a few seconds, but the rulers did go away.

Not in the tests I have just repeated in all three of my current versions of Trainz.

My best working theory is that rulers are default route objects (like the terrain and ground textures) but are bound to the layer that was active when the ruler was added. An object that is bound to a layer will share the same properties of that layer (i.e. hidden or shown, locked or unlocked) but when that bound layer is deleted the object will "revert" to its original layer or, in this case, the base route itself.

An object that is bound to a layer will share the same properties of that layer (i.e. hidden or shown, locked or unlocked) but when that bound layer is deleted the object will "revert" to its original layer or, in this case, the base route itself.
That would make sense, but didn't happen in my case. With all the versions of Trainz out there, who knows what's happening.

N3V QA has responded to my bug report on the "strange" behaviour of rulers. A task has been opened.

I am not a serious route builder so don't end up with lots of rulers. Instead of using many rulers I reuse existing ones. Just move the end-point of a ruler to the next position if it's nearby, or delete it if not. When several rulers converge on a point it is sometimes difficult to hit the one you want to move, though.

Trevor

Back