What is Service Assessment Fee

pequeajim

After purchasing a standalone copy of Trainz for $69.00, I just today see a notation in my checking account "[FONT=source_sans_proregular]TRAINZPORT 02-26 4029357733 8313 INT'L SERVICE ASSESSMENT FEE". What the heck is that?[/FONT]

After purchasing a standalone copy of Trainz for $69.00, I just today see a notation in my checking account "[FONT=source_sans_proregular]TRAINZPORT 02-26 4029357733 8313 INT'L SERVICE ASSESSMENT FEE". What the heck is that?[/FONT]

Bank fee for international transactions. Some credit card companies and banks are better than others.

Having Googled it, Probably need to take it up with the bank or card provider. Appears to be related to making a payment in a different country to where the card or bank is based.

Ok, thanks

Having Googled it, Probably need to take it up with the bank or card provider. Appears to be related to making a payment in a different country to where the card or bank is based.

OK, thanks. I will do that. I just wanted to make sure it was not some hidden Trainz fee that I wasn't aware of...

My credit union does this every time I order something from either Australia or Germany. It's basically a scam as it doesn't involve "real" money. It's only ones and zeroes stored in a computer, yet they seem to think a "handling fee" is involved for the few nanoseconds it takes to do the transaction.

Bill

Good luck fighting that fee. I routinely buy things from both Canada (prescription meds) and Australia (N3V FCTs and software) priced IN US DOLLARS and get charged a foreign transaction fee. Be sure to let us know if you are successful in getting the fee waived.

Last edited:
I pay through PayPal, and I haven't seen any international conversion fees showing up, and the 2nd part is, my bank will block international purchases, so PP is the only way to get around it.
But yeah I really don't understand why a conversion fee is needed byside having to pay an additional fee on top of the base price...

Cheers

You won't see any Paypal fees because it isn't "international". Paypal accepts your credit card for the country in which it is issued and, as far as your card and issuer is concerned, you've made a payment in the US even though you may have purchased something from out of country.

Bill

In another word, it is a way for them to take more of your money, in their view, legally. Depending on the amount you transfer is better to use PayPal. You have to calculate what is more cost efficient for your pocket based on fix bank charge versus percentage on dollar amounts.

I received a credit card offer from a big bank today, which i tossed into the garbage because I have no interest in a credit card, but before I did that I took a look at the terms and conditions spelled out in the small flyer they put in for credit rates and fees. I was curious what the charges are for international purchases. The bank had a gazillion fees on this card, in addition to an awful interest rate. Among the fees charged was that transaction fee for international purchases. The fee was something like 3% or 4% of the item cost, not counting any import taxes that could be applicable to the purchase.

I once had an account with Fleet Bank who I referred to as the enema bank. They fleeted fees out of my account just for having it open. Their fees included such things as a paper statement fee even though this was before online banking existed, that was applied to all accounts below $5,000. There were other things too in there that were annoying and they sold my bank branch to another entity in a couple of months before I had a chance to change banks myself. No loss!

As I said some banks are better than others.

Back