Family on Tracks Barely Escapes Fast Moving Train

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
DISCLAIMER! NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED!
This is a good example as to why you should obey all signs around railroad tracks. If this family was any slower, this would have turned out much worse.

Now whose dumb idea was it to play on the tracks?

I've yelled at people doing that and got yelled at back. Then the RR police came by and that ended it there and then.

Dumb.

I would say unbelievable however it seems that there is a subset of the Human race that thinks is OK to play around on railways, was reading the other day about teenagers climbing onto the roof of an electric train here in the UK to take selfies (I hate that word) and getting electrocuted in the process.

I would say unbelievable however it seems that there is a subset of the Human race that thinks is OK to play around on railways, was reading the other day about teenagers climbing onto the roof of an electric train here in the UK to take selfies (I hate that word) and getting electrocuted in the process.

There was an incident similar to that here in Boston. Someone insisted on climbing on top of the Amtrak Acela to do the same and got zapped by the 25KV overhead. The idiot survived and then had the bollocks to sue Amtrak for medical bills!

We do have a program in place that's sponsored by the big railroads and run on a voluntary basis called Operation Lifesaver. This group travels the country educating the public about railroad safety at crossings and around ROW. The problem is there's that subset of humans who think it's still okay to do the stupid things shown in the video.

Last edited:
Watching Live Rescue on A&E right now, which is just like sister series Live PD in that it is live, but instead of following police officers like Live PD, Live Rescue, as the name implies, follows firefighters and EMTs across the country. Anyway, every episode features a 'Close Call', which is short video having a 'Close Call' with danger, i.e. a woman at sitting in the waiting area at the front of the beauty shop gets up to go to the restroom at the back of the beauty shop. Seconds later, a car whose brakes had just failed crashes thru the front of the beauty shop, taking out the chair the woman was sitting in mere seconds earlier. If she hadn't decided to go to the restroom, she'd be in the hospital, with severe injuries. Anyway, for today's 'Close Call' they featured this video, along with commenting that when taking pictures of the family, and I quote "just go to the mall."

I have several screen capture videos of pedestrians crawling OVER and UNDER stopped trains at crossings. This primarily from the Virtual Railfan Elkart (IN) East livestream cam. The four track crossing is relatively busy. I'm not sure why but I've seen trains stop and sit (on crossing) for 25-20 minutes. Pedestrians especially get tired of waiting and either crawl UNDER cars or up and over the couplers. One of my favorite train cams to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULdsvyIVwnw

Here's a screen shot from a captured movie. Note pedestrian in White Jacket with white plastic bag going under car (red circle). On the same sitting train, I've seen one pedestrian go under and one go over! Even worse, I saw one contemplating going under one train when there was a moving train over on the next track. I guess he though he would get under the one and then stand between the moving trains till the other passed! Thankfully, he didn't do it. But you could "see" the wheel turning as he start to go under then come back out.

under.jpg

Last edited:
Back