What is compatible with hp laptops?

trainatic89

I recently created a trainz account to get TRS. The problem is, I don't know which versions are compatible on this laptop. Anyone else know?

I recently created a trainz account to get TRS. The problem is, I don't know which versions are compatible on this laptop. Anyone else know?

It all depends on your GPU. In the case of a laptop that could be integrated graphics or an RTX 2080 mobile. Anything above intel series 4000 will run TANE / TS19 if you are very very selective about what assets you select.

Realistically https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php and you want something with 10,000 3GD score or so. Intel Iris pro p580 should be OK with the sliders set well over to minimum. Unfortunately there aren't many laptops that have this GPU.

TS12 doesn't need such a powerful GPU but you'll need to buy it on ebay and you want an unregistered copy.

Cheerio John

It all depends on your GPU. In the case of a laptop that could be integrated graphics or an RTX 2080 mobile. Anything above intel series 4000 will run TANE / TS19 if you are very very selective about what assets you select.

Realistically https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php and you want something with 10,000 3GD score or so. Intel Iris pro p580 should be OK with the sliders set well over to minimum. Unfortunately there aren't many laptops that have this GPU.

TS12 doesn't need such a powerful GPU but you'll need to buy it on ebay and you want an unregistered copy.

Cheerio John

TS12 is available from Gamers Gate which is a genuine digital version and I think its still on Steam as well. No need to gamble with Ebay.

They'll pretty much work on laptops, but to be honest, you'll want to play Trainz on a desktop (at least from TANE onwards) as they can provide more power, and you can change hardware when you upgrade while laptops you are pretty much stuck with whatever hardware it comes with.

Cheers

I use an HP ZBook 17 G2 from 2014. It's basically a portable desktop. I'm able to play graphics intense games, keeping a steady 40 to 60 fps in Trainz, depending on what my graphics settings are set to, and it is somewhat cheaper. They're at about medium. Laptops aren't perfect for Trainz, but for what they are, they're great. I'd rather have Trainz with me where I go so I can work on routes and such. It's nice. What kind of HP do you own?

I'd say if you have small laptop that looks like it could have been issued by your middle school, then, no, I'd say don't run Trainz.

*Also definitely do not look on Ebay for Trainz games. There is a high chance you'll get ripped off. Steam has the best deals I've ever seen, especially on Trainz. Trainz 12 is currently $9.99, and Trainz: A New Era is $29.99.

Last edited:
It depends on how powerful the laptop is. I run TRS2019 on high settings on a laptop, but it is a gaming laptop with a gtx1070 and large cooling ports, and weighs a ton.

Its totally depend on your laptop and GPU, you need yp upgrade its latest version, its also available on different online stores, I bought my one from ReeCoupons, if you wanna buy it I recommend you once check there.

Its totally depend on your laptop and GPU, you need yp upgrade its latest version, its also available on different online stores, I bought my one from ReeCoupons, if you wanna buy it I recommend you once check there.

Welcome to the Trainz forums. You are correct when you say the GPU is important for Trainz. Please register your copy of Trainz. Your opinion would then carry more weight.

With regards the original question, if we are talking recent laptops (last year or so), and TANE or TRS2019 then I would say an I3 processor with GTX1050 GPU would be the absolute minimum worth considering. Although you would need to wind back the Trainz options performance settings with this level config. Trainz will run on lesser performance machines than this, but you would not really be getting the best out of it.

I run TRS2019 on an I5/GTX1050ti laptop at medium settings and find performance very acceptable. I also run it on a slightly higher spec desktop (I7/GTX1070). While the desktop's performance IS better, it's most noticeable advantage is that it runs a lot cooler, so there is a LOT less fan noise.

I am not sure which current HP laptops would meet this criteria (I have a Dell), but there will be some. Perhaps you could post more detail regarding your laptops specs ?

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who gave info. Unfortunately, I don't actually know the specs of my computer. All I know is that it is an HP Stream.

Thanks to everyone who gave info. Unfortunately, I don't actually know the specs of my computer. All I know is that it is an HP Stream.

I can tell you, from owning one of those, they're only good for seraching the web, and for basic office tasks.
From having Skype, discord, Firefox, and Office 2016, the thing ran sluggish to the point it needed to be rebooted.
I can tell you, Trainz won't run on HP streamers or lated streamed laptops, not without melting it.

Cheers

Alright, I've just gotten TS2012 and, so far, it's been running fine. It doesn't seem to overheat, but that's probably because it's older. Thanks for all the advice! I'm looking into getting TRS2019 next, and I'll take your tips into thought.

Alright, I've just gotten TS2012 and, so far, it's been running fine. It doesn't seem to overheat, but that's probably because it's older. Thanks for all the advice! I'm looking into getting TRS2019 next, and I'll take your tips into thought.

TS12 is more CPU than GPU so you should have fewer problems.

Cheerio John

Almost ALL laptops, even high end, $2000 to $3000 thousand dollar, laptops are inadequate, and may overheat. Desktop Windows PC's with a 2070 video card are recommended

My apologies also, but I have to disagree with this comment. Trainz can be run quite satisfactorily on a much lower spec (and cheaper) recent config, although I agree a cooler (and quieter) running desktop is preferable, and likely cheaper.

My apologies also, but I have to disagree with this comment. Trainz can be run quite satisfactorily on a much lower spec (and cheaper) recent config, although I agree a cooler (and quieter) running desktop is preferable, and likely cheaper.

Everything is relative. "quite satisfactorily" ? What's that mean? You can have a full Thanksgiving meal but if you are really hungry and have nothing else to eat a can of spam can be quite satisfying. It's all in what you expect. I ran '19 on an iMac and thought things were OK but then I put together a "med" level PC and wow... so much better tasting and such a better experience! But yes, with the right routes a laptop can be used and enjoyed, but it could be so much better!

Everything is relative. "quite satisfactorily" ? What's that mean? You can have a full Thanksgiving meal but if you are really hungry and have nothing else to eat a can of spam can be quite satisfying. It's all in what you expect. I ran '19 on an iMac and thought things were OK but then I put together a "med" level PC and wow... so much better tasting and such a better experience! But yes, with the right routes a laptop can be used and enjoyed, but it could be so much better!

And that I agree with. Routes like Middleton for laptops and also TS12 give you an introduction even on lower end machines. The trouble with most routes in TANE and TS19 is the barrier to entry, they both need something above a basic machine.

Cheerio John

I had decent experiences with some of the philskene routes (and others) when I was using the older iMac ([FONT=&quot]NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB)[/FONT]. But even on my PC (see GPU below) frame rates vary from 30 to 60 depending on location on the map. Yards are a fps killer. Desert area's, even on very large routes, run at 60 fps. The worst thing on the iMac was when using the map, (zooming and scrolling), it was painfully slow (along with some other functions) - so it's not only a fps issue.

I have not run Trainz on a MAC (is that the can of SPAM you allude to?) I run TRS 2019 on both a gaming laptop (I5/1050ti) and Desktop (I7/1070). I don't run at max settings on either although the desktop is close. The draw distance on the laptop is set to 6kms, and the shadows and water detail bumped down a setting. In most situations it is hard to pick any quality difference between the two, although the laptop fan noise is a bit annoying. However its performance is not 'inadequate'. Nor has it shown any sign of melting into a pool of silicon and plastic ( I have CAM installed on both machines and the laptop actually runs MUCH cooler). I suspect a higher spec config desktop with a 2070 is going to offer only a marginal improvement over either of these. My laptop was cheaper than my desktop, although a similarly configured desktop would have been cheaper still. If indeed a typical 2070 config were required for adequate TS2019 performance, many new Trainz purchasers would be put off. For me, I would recommend an I5 Desktop with a 1660ti as the best current value/performance choice to run Trainz. There are gaming laptops with a similar config which would be equally "satisfactory", if one is prepared to put up with higher fan noises and smaller screens (and spend a little more for the laptop convenience).

Sure, we all want to eat lobster for our Christmas lunch (no Thanksgiving here). But barbecued prawns (shrimp) are a perfectly satisfactory, and cheaper, alternative. And pretty tasty :D

Last edited:
Back