Wast of Money

Bill69

Just like all new versions of Trainz that have been released TRS19 is now more of a world builder program than a railway simulator. Things that worked with out problems in previous versions now have problems, (except the buildings and scenery). If I wanted a world builder program I would buy one, but I do not want a toy railway program as this is now. I will from now on stick to the DRM free version of T;ANE.

Bill69

I agree. TRS19 is far better than TANE. While I still have TANE on my systems, and keep it up to date, I no longer use it. It will eventually go. I also removed Trainz 12 almost as soon as I got TANE.

Bill69, I don't see how you could have a Train Simulator without a World Builder unless your only use for it is to use worlds that others have created. I would find that boring after a short while. Most of my time is spent in Surveyor and TRS19 Platinum, with its Unified Driver Surveyor interface, is by far the best world builder in all the Trainz versions.

I'm interested to hear what benefits you think TANE has over TRS19 in terms of driving. And what makes TRS19 more "toy" vs TANE.

I'm interested to hear what benefits you think TANE has over TRS19 in terms of driving. And what makes TRS19 more "toy" vs TANE.

It would be nice if N3V could spend some time focusing on train operations - similar to what Run 8 is. It would be amazing if you could combine the world building of Trainz with the prototypical like simulation of Run 8.

The layout of the driving control and how you control trains, I must admit is a lot better in TANE = took me days to find the drive to command in
TRS19

In TANE you have all the driving controls and the driver command bar on the screen at the same time. In TRS19 you have to click you way between three different sets of controls. This is the one complaint I have about TRS19 driving compared to TANE.

If, for example, you are using the basic manual drive control (the throttle % wheel) and then decide to add a driver command to the command bar, you not only have to click the 3 "dots" twice to cycle through the controls, but as soon as the focus leaves the throttle wheel display the train starts decelerating to a stop. In TANE you could add a command to the driver command bar and the AI would seamlessly take over the driving.

The operational aspects of TRS19 are in truth no different to the earlier versions anyway - i.e. no schedule or timetable or signaller to route the player train.

I have tried going back to TANE a couple of times but there now seems little point given all the new assets that have been created for TRS19, particularly the various procedural track.

Run 8 has its limitations though. You still have to set the route for your train and indeed any AI trains that you have spawn. The only difference is you have a pseudo dispatcher board/signalling panel to do it with. Also if you want to collect all the Run 8 routes and rolling assets from scratch, it would cost you an absolute fortune.

Lets be even more pedantic. Some of us that have been with Trainz since Dec 2001, do not upgrade anymore at all.

Too many false dawns and promises. Trick me once N3V shame on me, trick me twice, three, four times, shame on you.

I had that gold membership thing up to last month. Wow value for money. DLC Class 08 with a generic cabview not updated for donkey's years.

Have a look at the DTG Class 08 from 2008, with a proper cab interior. Now DTG are not any more adept at realism than N3V, but at least they did try back in the early days.

To provide some balance, others such as myself, have a different view and experiences. From my timeline you can see that I have upgraded to almost every new version (the TC and TMR versions did not interest me). I don't have a Gold or Silver subscription. None of these versions have been perfect - software never is! "False dawns and promises" - sounds just like real life.

My expectations do not involve perfect cab interiors.

My expectations are for the enjoyment that I have always received from creating realistic worlds, often modelled using Google Earth, maps, photographs and descriptions. Then adding and running a "model railway" that follows, as closely as possible, the operations of the original. These typically take me years to complete and, when finished, are often uploaded to the DLS for others to use, if they so wish. Trainz, in all its versions, has allowed me to meet my expectations. Sure there have been "bumps" along the way but I have found that each new version has added to my experiences.

I have never counted the money that I have spent on Trainz versions, FCT, DLC and Kickstarter over the years but that has never been a consideration for me.

For those who are finding that the Trainz "experience" is not for them, if they are not finding the "value for money" that they expect, then perhaps it is time to move on to something else. If anyone has been "tricked" by the same thing so many times, then the shame is most certainly on them, not on the "trickster".

My thoughts.

I've been running Trainz since 2004. TRS19 is much better then any of the previous releases as far as I am concerned. The graphics are better, the locomotive and rolling stock physics are top-notch, and copying a map/session from my main PC to my travel laptop (high-end gaming laptop) is a piece of cake. Yes, there may be a bit of a learning curve, but not that much different. Give it a try before trashing it, please.

Lets be even more pedantic. Some of us that have been with Trainz since Dec 2001, do not upgrade anymore at all.

Luckily others don't see it that way, otherwise there would be no more upgrades, no updates, no bug fixes, no support, no Trainz.

Gold membership - it seems you missed the two new $40 DLC routes released in the past two weeks.

I'm not sure if you get the newsletter, but there are new cabs in development by us. I'm not sure about a 3rd party Class 08 cabs.

Our Trainz Content Creator Program has new tools in final testing right now that will allow 3rd parties to package their DLC content ready for sale without our involvement, thereby removing one of the barriers to getting more content out more quickly.

100% with you on this one mate
In TANE you have all the driving controls and the driver command bar on the screen at the same time. In TRS19 you have to click you way between three different sets of controls. This is the one complaint I have about TRS19 driving compared to TANE.

If, for example, you are using the basic manual drive control (the throttle % wheel) and then decide to add a driver command to the command bar, you not only have to click the 3 "dots" twice to cycle through the controls, but as soon as the focus leaves the throttle wheel display the train starts decelerating to a stop. In TANE you could add a command to the driver command bar and the AI would seamlessly take over the driving.

To provide some balance, others such as myself, have a different view and experiences. From my timeline you can see that I have upgraded to almost every new version (the TC and TMR versions did not interest me). I don't have a Gold or Silver subscription. None of these versions have been perfect - software never is! "False dawns and promises" - sounds just like real life.

My expectations do not involve perfect cab interiors.

My expectations are for the enjoyment that I have always received from creating realistic worlds, often modelled using Google Earth, maps, photographs and descriptions. Then adding and running a "model railway" that follows, as closely as possible, the operations of the original. These typically take me years to complete and, when finished, are often uploaded to the DLS for others to use, if they so wish. Trainz, in all its versions, has allowed me to meet my expectations. Sure there have been "bumps" along the way but I have found that each new version has added to my experiences.

I have never counted the money that I have spent on Trainz versions, FCT, DLC and Kickstarter over the years but that has never been a consideration for me.

For those who are finding that the Trainz "experience" is not for them, if they are not finding the "value for money" that they expect, then perhaps it is time to move on to something else. If anyone has been "tricked" by the same thing so many times, then the shame is most certainly on them, not on the "trickster".

My thoughts.

I too have upgraded through nearly every release of Trainz. Each release provided incremental improvements over the previous, and I have always been pretty happy with the cost/value of the upgrades.

For another perspective, and with regard value for money... I also model in G scale. My entire spend on Trainz since 2002 would buy one middle spec G scale loco at today's prices. I previously modeled in HO. You won't get much of a HO layout for the entire Trainz spend of the last 18 years either. Of course this does not factor in PC hardware costs, but for me they are not a factor, since I have always had the required hardware for other commitments.

Back