suspension values from older rolling stock

Little_Boy921

Route Building Rocks
So I'm building a Northeast Corridor in the game and I decide to begin testing on the route. The track I'm using (Jointed Rail Tracks) has a default condition of 50% but I switched it 90% to avoid yawing at high speeds. Of course, I thought this would be the case. However upon testing, the trains swayed side to side despite the track having a condition of 90. So I go onto the Trainz fourms on Steam to bring up this issue. Then I learn that the reason is because of the rolling stock. At first I thought this was bs but the more I thought of it, I kind off get it. It has to do with something default values (I still don't understand). So that means I have to edit the suspension values for every single rolling stock I am using (which will be a pain in the ass). But I also learned that older rolling stock don't have suspension values. And since I don't how to edit suspension values in the first place, that's an issue. I really don't know if I should scrap the project all together or use different track (which will be a pain). So does anyone know how to fix this?<br><br>(I really hope I won't be blocked from my own post by the website like it did last time

Changing track isn't so difficult these days. Use the Bulk update/replace assets tool and you can do it in one shot.

As far as sway values go, it's something that the original content creator got somewhere if they went about it the right way. Older assets weren't as detailed and that's something you may have to live with, though, have you checked the Wiki?

If you are referring to cabin sway, look here:

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/KIND_Traincar

There is also a slider to adjust this in the main menu, or even turn it off for that matter.

For track condition, you need to apply that track-condition to all track segments at this time.

The alternative is to add the track-condition tag to your track of choice.

Clone your favorite track - works for non-built-in and non-DRM only.

Open the config.txt for editing.
Change the USERNAME from the existing name to something you'll remember. Keep the quotes and everything intact.

In along next to the other tags, outside of any container. A container is something within the curly brackets (these things { }), place this string.

track-condition 0.90

Since the number is a percentage this is your 90% value.

Save, close the Config.txt
Submit the asset.

If all went well, you now have your own sway-free track.

Thanks

Changing track isn't so difficult these days. Use the Bulk update/replace assets tool and you can do it in one shot.

As far as sway values go, it's something that the original content creator got somewhere if they went about it the right way. Older assets weren't as detailed and that's something you may have to live with, though, have you checked the Wiki?

If you are referring to cabin sway, look here:

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/KIND_Traincar

There is also a slider to adjust this in the main menu, or even turn it off for that matter.

For track condition, you need to apply that track-condition to all track segments at this time.

The alternative is to add the track-condition tag to your track of choice.

Clone your favorite track - works for non-built-in and non-DRM only.

Open the config.txt for editing.
Change the USERNAME from the existing name to something you'll remember. Keep the quotes and everything intact.

In along next to the other tags, outside of any container. A container is something within the curly brackets (these things { }), place this string.

track-condition 0.90

Since the number is a percentage this is your 90% value.

Save, close the Config.txt
Submit the asset.

If all went well, you now have your own sway-free track.

Great! I'll probably do the second option but could you show some pictures showing the process? Because I'm afraid I'll mess something up tbh XD

It's pretty simple to do. This is why you make a copy (clone) beforehand. If you mess up something, then it's your own asset and not an original one. I agree it's a lot easier than click on the ? in the menu and applying the track condition to each and every segment.

For your help, I have included part of a config.txt for my rough track here.
Code:
kind                                    "track"
istrack                                 1
[B]username                                "JR US track #1-132 rust ---- Very bad condtion - 5% ---- JAC"[/B]
trainz-build                            3.6
visible-on-minimap                      1
[B]track-condition                         0.05

[/B]

The two lines in bold are the only two you need to worry about.

track-condition here is at 5% for a siding or old branch. You would want this to be 0.90 for your 90% near-perfect track.

It's pretty simple to do. This is why you make a copy (clone) beforehand. If you mess up something, then it's your own asset and not an original one. I agree it's a lot easier than click on the ? in the menu and applying the track condition to each and every segment.

For your help, I have included part of a config.txt for my rough track here.
Code:
kind                                    "track"
istrack                                 1
[B]username                                "JR US track #1-132 rust ---- Very bad condtion - 5% ---- JAC"[/B]
trainz-build                            3.6
visible-on-minimap                      1
[B]track-condition                         0.05

[/B]

The two lines in bold are the only two you need to worry about.

track-condition here is at 5% for a siding or old branch. You would want this to be 0.90 for your 90% near-perfect track.

Huh, I didn't think it would be that easy. Anyways, I followed your directions and made a copy of a track. I added the what track condition I wanted and pressed submit edits. That didn't work and I got an error sign that said "Not authorized to submit changes to asset"

I think I might've done this wrong

Also can I just say how it really sucks that you can't do this in game. I don't know why they added that ability to change the track condition in game if it does jack ****! They give you the option and it does **** all! (Sorry for my language! This just really bugs me)

Last edited:
Huh, I didn't think it would be that easy. Anyways, I followed your directions and made a copy of a track. I added the what track condition I wanted and pressed submit edits. That didn't work and I got an error sign that said "Not authorized to submit changes to asset"

I think I might've done this wrong

It is pretty simple.

The error message means you did this with payware asset. This only works on track downloaded from the Download Station, or the "DLS" as we call it.

It is pretty simple.

The error message means you did this with payware asset. This only works on track downloaded from the Download Station, or the "DLS" as we call it.

I did it with some a freeware track and the default condition is still 50%.

Edit: I just checked the config script and the edits I made are gone! Even though I saved!

I did it with some a freeware track and the default condition is still 50%.

Edit: I just checked the config script and the edits I made are gone! Even though I saved!

Ensure you submitted the track asset, otherwise your changes won't occur.

Ensure you submitted the track asset, otherwise your changes won't occur.

I forgot to mention this last time but I tried copying and pasting two tracks I wanted to use and it didn't work. Don't know if that's related in anyway but whatever.

Anyways, I edited the config of track and added in the condition I wanted and submitted the edits. After that, I went in to see if the edits were still there and they were not. I had even saved them before closing notepad.

At this point, I think I should just give up.

Edit: Is there a way to turn off train sway. Because if the game won't allow me to edit the track condition then I'll just turn off loco sway if I'm going to use track with a default of 50% for routes with speeds above 60mph

Last edited:
I forgot to mention this last time but I tried copying and pasting two tracks I wanted to use and it didn't work. Don't know if that's related in anyway but whatever.

Anyways, I edited the config of track and added in the condition I wanted and submitted the edits. After that, I went in to see if the edits were still there and they were not. I had even saved them before closing notepad.

At this point, I think I should just give up.

Tell me what the KUIDs are and I'll take a look at the tracks for you.

I don't know why things aren't saving for you. ???

Tell me what the KUIDs are and I'll take a look at the tracks for you.

I don't know why things aren't saving for you. ???

JR MS Conc1 kuid2:45324:38018:4

JR Lt Grey (Terrain) kuid2:45324:38009:5

These are the tracks I edited. (I edited tracks themselves, not copied. And I don't know if the kuid changes for edited content)

JR MS Conc1 kuid2:45324:38018:4

JR Lt Grey (Terrain) kuid2:45324:38009:5

These are the tracks I edited. (I edited tracks themselves, not copied. And I don't know if the kuid changes for edited content)

You should have cloned them instead it's better that way, but I see no reason why this wouldn't have worked anyway because they're not built-in or DLC.

There is one thing to try.

After putting in the track-condition tag, press the enter key. It doesn't matter if there's an extra space in the file.

Save.

Close config.txt.

submit the asset.

You should have cloned them instead it's better that way, but I see no reason why this wouldn't have worked anyway because they're not built-in or DLC.

There is one thing to try.

After putting in the track-condition tag, press the enter key. It doesn't matter if there's an extra space in the file.

Save.

Close config.txt.

submit the asset.

Alrighty then. Also you how do you copy a track? You don't go to edit and press copy, do you?

Edit: So I found a clone button under the content tab in the content manager but whenever I do clone something, nothing happens. It tells me the kuid but when I try to search it up, nothing! At this point, I give up

Last edited:
I Give Up!

(Disregard the last reply) Alright so I was able to successfully able to clone a track, made the necessary edits, and submitted the edits. But apparently that didn't work!!!! The clone is still showing a default of 90%!!!!!!! At this point, I give up! There is nothing else I can do to actually fix this issue!!! The best thing I can do is swap out the JR Conc track for the ones used on the ECML for my NEC route, But using the bullhead wooden tracks (which have a default of 80%) for crossovers would look out of place on an american route. I'm done

Last edited:
Back