Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Considering Retiring My HO Scale Layout and going all Trainz

United States of America, Wisconsin, Wisc Rapids
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pequeajim View Post
    I didn't think the Platinum version I bought was subscription based? Are you saying it is. I thought it was stand alone?

If you bought this one (https://store.trainzportal.com/produ...atinum-edition), then its a stand alone - no subscription is tied to it.
    The membership tiers through your myTrainz account is the subscriptions.

Cheers

NARM's site^

My personal site: https://hiawathamr.weebly.com/​

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

If you did purchase a subscription, you can always change that to a non-subscription version if you wish.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

Don't feel bad. I purchased TRS19 Early Edition stand alone. That was an "outright purchase." After a few months I went with the Gold subscription for access to the everything Trainz had to offer. There is some comfort in knowing that I can cancel my Gold subscription any time and still have a purchased copy of TRS19.

My tip for a new user? Most Tane routes (and a some TRS19 routes) will be much too dark in TRS19. Learn the "reset color" and "environment tools" right away as some routes will benefit a LOT from your setting these properly.

From the Wiki: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...it_Environment

General TRS19 help: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:TRS19

--

TIP: Best way to find things in Wiki is to do a google search using the "site search" advanced search option. Use this for the site:

A google site search would look like this (this is a search for "tools"):
    Code:
    tools site:http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/
    I mention all this because for me, it is by far the best way to find things in the Wiki. A plain Wiki search from the Wiki page doesn't seem to work well for me.
    Last edited by 1611mac; February 28th, 2020 at 08:53 AM.
    TRS19 SP1(Plus), 105100(plus), 106618(+beta)
    ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce

I would suggest that you store all the HO model railroad equipment away in box's, not in a hot attic where they will melt, or not in a cold damp garage where they will freeze and become brittle, and do not store them in foam, as the foam will turn back degrading back into oil, and adhere to the plastic models.

Save your model railroad equipment away, for sale in another decade, when the economy repairs, as in todays market you will lose thousands of dollars as nobody wants it, or has the temperament to meticulously to clean track, and run mechanical model railroad trains.

Actually you are sitting on a gold mine if the internet, and PC's go completely away, after a worldwide DDOS, or EMP.

Then you can still push you trains about with your hand.

Apply tin foil hat -->(Here)<---

Someone should post images and descriptions of all their model railroad equipment on the Forum, or in a pre-existing thread (show your models), announcing "For Sale", so you can get the best prices for your unwanted equipment.

See ---> https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...display+models <--
    Last edited by MP242; February 28th, 2020 at 09:58 AM.
    My apologies to all. I have decided that in these horrible current events, we all need to stick together as a Community

United States of America, Pennsylvania, New Holland

Quote Originally Posted by hiawathamr View Post
    If you bought this one (https://store.trainzportal.com/produ...atinum-edition), then its a stand alone - no subscription is tied to it.
    The membership tiers through your myTrainz account is the subscriptions.

Cheers
    Yes, that is exactly what I bought. Thanks for the info.

Jim

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    No, you did absolutely the right thing in going for TRS19. It is so much better than T:ANE, particularly once you learn how to use all the new features -- the PBR tracks, the 3D PBR textures, the TurfFX grasses, ...
    Absolutely correct. Even if you never do your own layouts, there are incredible ones in TRS19 on the DLS. Philskenes are particularly good if you like mining and timbering, although he has industrial ones as well. Along with sessions for you to run.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    PCIe SSD operation (program and build)

If dictatorship countries kill electricity and the internet with a nuke then every young person in the US will freak out as their iPhones will be useless bricks. They can’t live without their phones. I have model trains of different sizes packed away. O, HO, N, G and my late grandfather’s 1 gauge Lionel train with double ended electric locomotive and combine, coach, and observation. I used to have a train table but got rid of it in 2015. I once had an HO layout, then an HO amusement park with a railroad around it, then switched to O gauge with Lemax amusement rides and haunted houses. I still have all the stuff packed away. I stated with MSTS around 2001, then switched to Trainz by 2003 or so. MSTS has a lot of content, and long routes, but you are tied to your train when in a route and no operating turntables and electric catenary routes have catenary on all tracks. In Trainz you can switch between trains, and it is easier to build in. And content and quality has been improving. Dovetail has nice sims and routes but it’s all payware and not builder friendly like Trainz. The only problem with Trainz is that third party sites sometimes go belly up and that results in missing content when downloading a route that has content from now defunct sites. And having to hunt down like 50 unknown dependencies. I like simulating tourist railroads especially steam ones the best. I also like amusement park sims like RollerCoaster Tycoon 1-3 and Planet Coaster, and there’s another one called Parkitect which is newer like Planet Coaster. Is TS2019 worth it to buy? Is it that much better than TANE? But, weren’t there bugs in it or were those fixed by now? What’s the difference between the more expensive and the cheaper version? Will most content that works in TANE work in 19? And you can edit the built in routes that were locked in TANE. I want to extend the C&O route and simulate steam excursions on it with 765, 261, etc. from Huntington to Hinton.
    Last edited by rwk; March 1st, 2020 at 01:56 AM.

Well I'm finally getting things going. I sold several of my engines which raised enough money to buy the hardware for my gaming PC that's going to run this mess. Here is what I ordered tonight,

Thermaltake V200 Tempered Glass RGB Edition 12V MB Sync Capable ATX Mid-Tower Chassis

Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super Black Gaming, 08G-P4-3081-KR, 8GB GDDR6

Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB)

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core, 24-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler

Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply

And the motherboard is...

MSI MPG X570 Gaming PRO Carbon WiFi Motherboard (AMD AM4, DDR4, PCIe 4.0, SATA 6Gb/s, M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2, AX Wi-Fi 6, HDMI, ATX)

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

You should have no problem running this program or any other for quite sometime. I have the older MSI Carbon motherboard except mine is for the the Intel i7 CPU and I put in an Intel 5930 Extreme CPU and this handles this quite well even at nearly 5 years old. A couple of years ago I replaced my EVGA GTX780 TI with the then new GTX1080TI. I also loaded up my system with a few large hard drives, in addition to the the SSD for booting, and also installed 64 GB of RAM. I did this because I also edit music and that requires as much RAM and disk space for processing.

Both MSI and EVGA make greate products, and I've used both for years always with great success, but I won't be upgrading anytime soon. Being on a retirement budget, I'll milk what I can out of this hardware before I move on to something else. By then who knows what kind of hardware we'll have.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

Default Yes I did, but?

Quote Originally Posted by MP242 View Post
    I would suggest that you store all the HO model railroad equipment away in box's, not in a hot attic where they will melt, or not in a cold damp garage where they will freeze and become brittle, and do not store them in foam, as the foam will turn back degrading back into oil, and adhere to the plastic models.

Save your model railroad equipment away, for sale in another decade, when the economy repairs, as in todays market you will lose thousands of dollars as nobody wants it, or has the temperament to meticulously to clean track, and run mechanical model railroad trains.

<--
    Ironically, I see a charge on my bank statement, "PAYPAL *TRAINZPORT 02-26 4029357733 8313 INT'L SERVICE ASSESSMENT FEE". What the heck is this?