Holding Gradient Constant When Adding New Track Not Working

rjbradley

Is there a way to turn this feature on and off? I used to be able to apply a gradient to the end piece of track and then subsequent track added would have the same gradient applied automatically. This stopped working for me (track now follows the ground) a while ago, but then yesterday it started working again and now it doesn't work again. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I miss this feature.

Is there a way to turn this feature on and off?
The process to add new track does not add track with the same gradient as existing track. It lays track with the gradient that is currently selected in the gradient text box. It may appear that the feature is erratic, because the gradient in the text box can change as a result of using the gradient tool. For instance, if you have set the gradient of an existing piece of track then there will be a value in the text box, and it will appear as if new sections are being laid with the gradient of the existing section. The get gradient tool can be used to set the track gradient to an existing gradient, if resuming track laying after a break.

SailorDan, that is the way I want it to work. It used to do this. Each new spline point was placed at the gradient in the gradient text box. The new spline point would be yellow. Now the new spline point is placed on the terrain surface regardless of the setting of the gradient in the gradient text box. The spline points are now white. How do I get it back to following what is in the gradient box?

It used to do this. Each new spline point was placed at the gradient in the gradient text box.

So are you saying that the gradient should be applied according to the value in the gradient text box, rather than having the same gradient applied automatically? What is the value of the gradient in the text box? What colour is the spline point for a new section of track, not attached to an existing section, immediately you place it, and what is the colour after you move the placement point before you click at the end point? What is your value for Fixed track vertex height in Interface Settings? What is the result when you apply gradient to the piece of track you just laid, without changing anything in the gradient text box?

OK here is something I didn't notice before. I was trying to lay the new track with 0 gradient. When 0 is in the gradient text box it lays the track on the ground and not at a 0 gradient. If I enter 0.01 it holds the gradient for new track to 0.01 gradient. It would appear that the number has to be non-zero (positive or negative) for the track to follow a gradient. This is the first area of my route where the track isn't climbing or descending so I wouldn't have noticed this behavior before.

It would appear that the number has to be non-zero (positive or negative) for the track to follow a gradient.

That is correct. The gradient that will be applied is the value that appears in the text box at the time the track is laid. This might be the gradient of the previous section of track, or it might not. A gradient of 0 means that the track will be laid to ground level, not at zero gradient from the starting point.

Back