Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Should Be The Maximum Miles Used On A Trainz Route?

Default What Should Be The Maximum Miles Used On A Trainz Route?

Is there any general rule about this? I'm working on a route that is supposed to go from Nisku AB to Red Deer AB which is around 80mls. At 2.5 baseboards that roughly make up a mile, you can imagine how many baseboards that equals to if you multiply 80 mls x 2.5 baseboards - - - and don't forget that's not including some extra baseboards to the left or to the right to give more scenery such as small and large hills. I prefer boonie or mountain lines than inside of cities.

I thought about stopping the line at half of 80 MLS as a turn around point for the road switchers. Then I would do the other half from an already established railyard I have in Red Deer. Would this be a better idea? I'm thinking about the time loading factor on the computer it would take to actually load the route. Not interested in waiting 20 minutes for a route to load thanks.

- RR70

P.S.

I would load one of the routes but it would be new as I would be new at making a route, so I'm not interested in becoming a filet mignon to the critics.
    Railroading is a separate entity from everything else.

You can make a DEM 500 miles long, 7 baseboards wide, and it will be so huge in GB's size, that it won't fit on the DLS.

I am unsure what the maximum allowable size is.
    My apologies to all. I have decided that in these horrible current events, we all need to stick together as a Community

Quote Originally Posted by MP242 View Post
    You can make a DEM 500 miles long, 7 baseboards wide, and it will be so huge in GB's size, that it won't fit on the DLS.

Ouch.. Ok, thanks.

- RR70
    Last edited by Railroader1970; February 23rd, 2020 at 09:54 AM.
    Railroading is a separate entity from everything else.

Do you have interesting stuff to place all along the entire 80 miles? If not, consider this. Make four ~10x5 baseboard segments separated by 3 2x2 segments.

Each 10x5 baseboard segment can be highly detailed.

The 2x2 segment separators are "off screen" and are just bare-bones baseboards with tracks. Trains can pass through these segments at regular speeds or you can put trackmarks and triggers to force a longer period of time to simulate how long it would take to travel through 10-20 actual baseboards.

You "hide" these segments by putting backdrops around them. If you want to go further, you can make tunnel entrances to them.

This concept goes back to the physical model (HO) railroad days where you had to simulate long distances.

That sound like "NTrak" modules
    My apologies to all. I have decided that in these horrible current events, we all need to stick together as a Community

United States of America, Wisconsin, Wisc Rapids
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MP242 View Post
    512MB max

Cheers

NARM's site^

My personal site: https://hiawathamr.weebly.com/​

Blog Entries

A 500 miles as the crow fly's ? Cause 500 miles strait is going to be a heck of lot more track More of a question is , what State do you want to try . DE RI ? LOL

Matt
    work hard, Play harder

Ask yourself what is the interesting part of the route. Likely the cities, towns, yards, industries, sidings, some interesting geographical locations and the few miles around those.
    Ask yourself if you would be interested in staring at your screen for 5+ minutes during boring landscape in which there is nothing to keep you busy (no speed change or nothing).

What would you like to play?

I am still wondering how I am going to make parts of this route interesting during sessions, while I already reduced most distances by 25% and skipped miles of farm land.
    Last edited by oknotsen; February 23rd, 2020 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries

Ask yourself what is the interesting part of the route. Likely the cities, towns, yards, industries, sidings, some interesting geographical locations and the few miles around those.
    Ask yourself if you would be interested in starting at your screen for 5+ minutes during boring landscape in which there is nothing to keep you busy (no speed change or nothing).

I couldn't agree more with that statement . Now having several large DEM . I'm starting to see a big disadvantages to vary long DEM,s . Unless there's a goal or challenge to running the length of the line . Such as grade , traffic or tasks to done along the way

Matt
    work hard, Play harder

RR70 --

Your maths might be incorrect. I think it should be 80 divided by 2.5. That's certainly a manageable size in terms of maximum file upload. The real question, however, is the time it might take you to actually complete the route. One lifetime or several? And that will depend on the level of detail.

Hi

The built in ECML route in Tane and TRS19 is 400 miles long with multiple tracks and other side routes to Hull, Lincoln and Cleethorpes etc . It runs without issue on my 3 year old computer so you have plenty of scope for an 80 mile route.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by oknotsen View Post
    Ask yourself if you would be interested in staring at your screen for 5+ minutes during boring landscape in which there is nothing to keep you busy (no speed change or nothing).

I am still wondering how I am going to make parts of this route interesting during sessions, while I already reduced most distances by 25% and skipped miles of farm land.
    I faced the same problem on my Norfolk layout where one of the lines crosses an expanse of fen land with trains doing nothing but chasing the horizon across a flat landscape of rough grass pasture. My fen land scenic section ended up being just on a Trainz scale mile long which is nowhere near what the distance across the fens actually is in Norfolk, but it works fine and it certainly gives the impression of the fens without me collapsing in utter boredom while driving trains on this section.

Edit: I also found that modelling an 'empty' landscape to be much harder that modelling a normal landscape with all the usual scenic assets such as trees and buildings & etc.
    Last edited by KotangaGirl; February 24th, 2020 at 06:19 AM. Reason: more to say
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Out of interest I recently extracted a portion of Iranian (!) route as the geography looked quite interesting. Unbeknown to me the prototype section is in the region of 300km long. Using the Transdem process with a width of 7 tiles either side of the track line, 5m grid for the right of way only, the .gnd file was a staggering 882Mb. It took around 10 minutes to open in Surveyor. I deleted it!
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

One should not drive a really long Trainz route when sleepy, as a real train crew must stay completely awake, driving for 10 hours straight.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    I faced the same problem on my Norfolk layout where one of the lines crosses an expanse of fen land with trains doing nothing but chasing the horizon across a flat landscape of rough grass pasture. My fen land scenic section ended up being just on a Trainz scale mile long which is nowhere near what the distance across the fens actually is in Norfolk, but it works fine and it certainly gives the impression of the fens without me collapsing in utter boredom while driving trains on this section.

Edit: I also found that modelling an 'empty' landscape to be much harder that modelling a normal landscape with all the usual scenic assets such as trees and buildings & etc.
    I'm running into this myself on a very open high prairie portion of a Midwestern/Western US route. The line is 110 miles or around 179 km long. The part from Coalmont, Colorado to the Wyoming border is nearly flat as a pancake. After that the line climbs and twists through some rugged terrain then returns to the flat land again near Laramie, Wyoming. The problem for me is finding the right textures for the region in addition to grass and lots of it. I thought of using the new Turf-FX grass, but that would be a lot of it on this route and I can only see my computer glowing in the dark as I slog through the grassing process.

Since the Coalmont to Walden portion of the line has been gone for about 65 years, I may use a bit of modeling license and put in a few more trees here and there to break up the landscape as well as few more buildings in my nearly non-existent towns that existed along the way.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100