Screenshot Competition, - not happy.

So which newsletter was this. The last one I received was dated 14 Feb which had 6 screenshots shown. Was there another newsletter last Friday? If so, it hasn't shown up yet. Probably coming "soon" (TM).

Screenshot competition not for me, tbh I see it as a bit unnecessary. As a photographer I know a good shot when I see one, and know how to manipulate and enhance images. But what's the point. If there were a Ferrari up for grabs I might just enter.

KotangaGirl dont lose any sleep over it hun....that competition all a bit pretentious in my opinion.

I do like to see the work that the others entering the competition have done though so it does help to inspire me when it comes to working on my own train set. If the winner got some coupons or a FCT it would be nice though, but really I like to enter just to see how my own screenshot snaps measure up against what others are doing.

A Ferrari? - unfortunately I'm no longer permitted to drive for medical reasons, - but a prize like that would certainly spice up the competition.

A Ferrari? - unfortunately I'm no longer permitted to drive for medical reasons, - but a prize like that would certainly spice up the competition.[/QUOTE]

That might well be a blessing considering driving on today's roads. As for the Ferrari...well I'd probably just park it in the garage, or driveway, and just gaze lovingly at it. ;)

Hi All
I apologise for the mix up here.

Unfortunately for us to be able to complete the newsletter before the weekend, we count the cotes around midday AU time (EDST at the moment), which is sometimes before the screenshot competition runner Nick does this; this can sometimes mean that one or two votes may be missed in some cases (although this seems to be quite rare, and generally doesn't seem to change which shots would be included).

In this case it appears that the last vote for KotangaGirl came through after I had opened the thread (ie while I was counting votes), and so one vote was missed. This resulted in KotangaGirl's post being in a 7 way tie with 2 votes when I counted; this week had 4 screenshots in the newsletter and three people taking 1st position (being a 3 way tie), so one second position shot was chosen based on being the oldest post (in a tie that exceeds the number of screenshot spaces available, the oldest posts will be chosen first for the newsletter for simplicity). I will try to count this later in the day where possible; but as Nick may sometimes not be able to count until much later in the day, there will still be a chance that this may occur in future if the end of voting is later on a Friday.

The other option is that we delay a further week with screenshot of the week, which personally I'd prefer to avoid, so as to keep the results being the most recent.

Regards

Thank you very much for explaining that Zec. I can see how the error happened now so I'm presently feeling a bit silly for causing a fuss.

Thanks pware.

If it came to being allowed any car I wanted I would much rather have a Morgan cyclecar over a Ferrari. Far more fun in my opinion.

E2Dp6Rg.jpg

Last edited:
No need. At least this thread flushed out who likes Ferrari's - vastly over-rated cars in my opinion.

Second choice would be a LADA pware...you can hardly call that over-rated huh ;)
Always speak when you feel the need KotangaGirl. No need for feeling silly and you certainly never made a fuss, just commented.

No need. At least this thread flushed out who likes Ferrari's - vastly over-rated cars in my opinion.

Now that I can agree with, having spent the frst 25 years of my working life in the motor trade (from serving petrol to senior management) I can without reserve say that back then they were a high maintenance temperamantal thing of beauty. I often compared them to a very rich old man with a bimbo on his arm. Both high maintenance.

Back on topic,
I used to be upset too when an entry of mine got no outing on the newsletter or indeed hardly any or even no votes. Now I enter less frequently and expext no results, so anything over that value is a bonus.

I had absolutely no idea we were entering for a newsletter. I thought it was just a friendly competition between users. Using only 2019 pictures, if that's what they're doing, is stupid imo. I use T:ANE and have cranked out really good screenshots that rival TS2019. Not getting any votes does make you feel like your stuff isn't good enough. That said, I still enjoy the competition of entering in my screenies, regardless of whether or not they get votes. Btw, thank you Kotanga for voting for me in the last one :wave: much appreciated.

Not a problem ministerfarrigut, I thought your screenshot was really good and something different so I voted for it.

From what Zec Murphy has said it looks like they accept all screenshots as long as they were made in Trainz. The competition has got a lot more difficult lately to get a vote because the standard of entries is now so high. Personal tastes of those voting counts a lot too; - some folk like steam engines, some don't, - some folk like the Uk scene, some don't. I know when I come to vote I try to keep an open mind and just vote on the quality of the screenshots, but my own personal bias towards steam and the Uk scene is something that does have an unavoidable influence on my decision.

They do put the winning/best screenshots in the newsletter and I've got lucky with that a few times, but if it doesn't happen I don't mind. My complaint was sparked off because it seemed like my screenshot had been ignored despite being in the top four best screenshots, but it looks like that was just down to a vote counting error and not because of any 'secret' N3V policy towards the screenshots they publish.

Last edited:
Well other than your answer from Zec, I also found out where my newsletter went - the dreaded JunkMail folder. Not in my client but on the website. Hopefully I'll find it next time.

Thanks for your topic which helped to shed light on the way N3V collects these.
Personally they all deserve to be in the newsletter.

Cheers

Thanks pware.

If it came to being allowed any car I wanted I would much rather have a Morgan cyclecar over a Ferrari. Far more fun in my opinion.

My brother wants one of those, except in British Racing Green. :)

Given the kind of traffic we have, I would keep it in the driveway and admire it since I don't drive much either due to medical reasons.

There is a modern "Moggie" produced if you want one, with a Harley Davidson engine and built to modern standards. It costs from £31,000 upwards and, as they are handmade, a long waiting time for delivery.

Yes I've heard about those and I've seen all the pretty pictures. If money was no object I still think I'd go for one of the old pre-war ones. BUT I'm an OAP and I'm no longer allowed to drive to it's all a bit moot. Still, dreams are free.

Yes I've heard about those and I've seen all the pretty pictures. If money was no object I still think I'd go for one of the old pre-war ones. BUT I'm an OAP and I'm no longer allowed to drive to it's all a bit moot. Still, dreams are free.

My Father actually had an original one up until I appeared in 1952! He always said he wished he had hung on to it.

I prefer the look of the original ones personally, keeping on topic we could do with one for Trainz.....

I prefer the look of the original ones personally, keeping on topic we could do with one for Trainz.....

YES! That would be wonderful Malc. There are some good pre-WW2 Uk vehicles available for Trainz, but cyclecars are conspicuous by their absence. I have been a long time cyclecar enthusiast and my metal trades tradesman Dad taught me how to use tools when I was young so I have always tinkered about with old British cars and motorcycles. Or I did until I developed narcolepsy (sigh). A Morgan 3 wheeler for Trainz would be a delightful thing for me to place into my little make believe world and it would mean so much.

For me, I've always assumed editing the screenshots for the competition was not allowed. Should be just a raw shot from the game really.

As for the newsletter, it used to be they were more consistent with matching the shots shown w those w highest votes. Before that I believe it was only the winning shot that got featured, but somewhere along the way that changed to a selection of the top N images. I think most who enter just do it for fun and dont really expect anything to come of it except for the brief fame. I try to vote for whichever one(s) are the best regardless of the subject (steam, diesel, modern, classic etc)

My one gripe w the competitions is when there is a theme, voting seems to still follow what is best looking even when others fit the theme (the winner doesn't). Blows my mind, as it takes more time to create a themed shot usually. Oh well, such is life.

Kotangagirl, I wouldn't give up , your shots have been very well done (receiving several wins and high rankings both).

Back