Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Screenshot Competition, - not happy.

United States of America, New York, Allegany

Sure, they can do what they want, but what's wrong with being upfront about it ? If they say they pick the top four "voted by forum members" than that's what they should do. Being misleading isn't good.
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimDep View Post
    Sure, they can do what they want, but what's wrong with being upfront about it ?
    Yes, "Four of the top entries, as voted by users" would have served just as well and would not have been misleading.

Hoping for truth in advertising is a bit like hoping for world peace - it can all be in the wording. All those movie posters giving 4 and 5 star ratings from a short list of reviewers is not being untruthful, it is just being selective.

My absolute favourite "selective truth" quote comes from the Soviet propaganda newspaper Pravada when it reported on the result of a friendly bicycle "race" between President Kennedy and Party Chairman Khrushchev during one of their cold war summits. There were only two in the race, Kennedy and Khrushchev, which Pravda did not mention but they reported that "Chairman Khrushchev came second while President Kennedy came 'Next to Last'".
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 105766

"Four of the top entries, as voted by users" would have been fine by me and I wouldn't have been bothered by it at all.

"The top four shots as voted for by you!" is a different statement altogether with an entirely different meaning. Yes I know it's just a for fun competition with no prizes involved, but it still hurt to have a screenshot that I was rather proud of in effect erased as if it didn't exist.

As FootplatePhil says who knows exactly what makes for a winning screenshot, but I know sometimes as I look over the entries for the week a particular screenshot will just grab me and make me go, 'Ooooo'. And it won't be just whether it's modern or historical, steam or diesel, - it will be because everything in the image just fits together and works.

Narcolepsy is not napping.

As someone pretty new to voting, and thinking of entering, I admit that I get drawn to the eye candy from TS2019, but I try to go for unique and creative views, settings, angles, times of day, weather and situations, rather than just trains on a track. Having said that, I voted for someone on the last set that had some pretty unique weather effects, and I wondered whether that was built into TS2019, or how that was achieved. Now I wonder if that wasn't post-shot editing, so I will be much more careful in my voting.
    But to Kotangagirl's point, yes, they need to say in the newsletter how the shots posted are are actually selected, and not make up votes if they did not exist. Years ago, there seemed a lot more in the newsletters that there is nowadays. It just seems to be updates on updates, and the screenshots, and maybe a video. It takes me about one minute to get through it. But that's another topic....

United States of America, Fla., Spring Hill

As per post #7 lots of people never used a photo shop editor, then maybe they should have two different computations for photos, and if that's to much then just make just screen shot from Trainz with no editing. Make it fair for anyone who would like to enter. Just my opinion.

So which newsletter was this. The last one I received was dated 14 Feb which had 6 screenshots shown. Was there another newsletter last Friday? If so, it hasn't shown up yet. Probably coming "soon" (TM).
    Win 10 X64 - i7-8700 16Gb Ram GTX 1060 3Gb
    TRS19 Platinum Build 105100
    T:ANE Build 105930 (SP4)
    TMR17 Build 85470

21 Feb is the latest newsletter.

Screenshot competition not for me, tbh I see it as a bit unnecessary. As a photographer I know a good shot when I see one, and know how to manipulate and enhance images. But what's the point. If there were a Ferrari up for grabs I might just enter.

KotangaGirl dont lose any sleep over it hun....that competition all a bit pretentious in my opinion.
    Where the hell is that fountain of youth

I do like to see the work that the others entering the competition have done though so it does help to inspire me when it comes to working on my own train set. If the winner got some coupons or a FCT it would be nice though, but really I like to enter just to see how my own screenshot snaps measure up against what others are doing.

A Ferrari? - unfortunately I'm no longer permitted to drive for medical reasons, - but a prize like that would certainly spice up the competition.

A Ferrari? - unfortunately I'm no longer permitted to drive for medical reasons, - but a prize like that would certainly spice up the competition.[/QUOTE]

That might well be a blessing considering driving on today's roads. As for the Ferrari...well I'd probably just park it in the garage, or driveway, and just gaze lovingly at it.

Blog Entries

Hi All
    I apologise for the mix up here.

Unfortunately for us to be able to complete the newsletter before the weekend, we count the cotes around midday AU time (EDST at the moment), which is sometimes before the screenshot competition runner Nick does this; this can sometimes mean that one or two votes may be missed in some cases (although this seems to be quite rare, and generally doesn't seem to change which shots would be included).

In this case it appears that the last vote for KotangaGirl came through after I had opened the thread (ie while I was counting votes), and so one vote was missed. This resulted in KotangaGirl's post being in a 7 way tie with 2 votes when I counted; this week had 4 screenshots in the newsletter and three people taking 1st position (being a 3 way tie), so one second position shot was chosen based on being the oldest post (in a tie that exceeds the number of screenshot spaces available, the oldest posts will be chosen first for the newsletter for simplicity). I will try to count this later in the day where possible; but as Nick may sometimes not be able to count until much later in the day, there will still be a chance that this may occur in future if the end of voting is later on a Friday.

The other option is that we delay a further week with screenshot of the week, which personally I'd prefer to avoid, so as to keep the results being the most recent.

Regards
    Zec Murphy

Customer Support Rep
    N3V Games (Auran)

*Please do not use Private Messages for support. Support can only be provided via the helpdesk, or via the forums.

Thank you very much for explaining that Zec. I can see how the error happened now so I'm presently feeling a bit silly for causing a fuss.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    I'm presently feeling a bit silly for causing a fuss.
    No need. At least this thread flushed out who likes Ferrari's - vastly over-rated cars in my opinion.
    TRS19 Platinum 105100 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096 - TANE SP4 105766

Thanks pware.

If it came to being allowed any car I wanted I would much rather have a Morgan cyclecar over a Ferrari. Far more fun in my opinion.

Last edited by KotangaGirl; February 24th, 2020 at 07:19 AM. Reason: more to say

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    No need. At least this thread flushed out who likes Ferrari's - vastly over-rated cars in my opinion.
    Second choice would be a LADA pware...you can hardly call that over-rated huh
    Always speak when you feel the need KotangaGirl. No need for feeling silly and you certainly never made a fuss, just commented.