Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Screenshot Competition, - not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    No need. At least this thread flushed out who likes Ferrari's - vastly over-rated cars in my opinion.

Now that I can agree with, having spent the frst 25 years of my working life in the motor trade (from serving petrol to senior management) I can without reserve say that back then they were a high maintenance temperamantal thing of beauty. I often compared them to a very rich old man with a bimbo on his arm. Both high maintenance.

Back on topic,
    I used to be upset too when an entry of mine got no outing on the newsletter or indeed hardly any or even no votes. Now I enter less frequently and expext no results, so anything over that value is a bonus.
    Graham,

AND PLAY TRAINZ!

I had absolutely no idea we were entering for a newsletter. I thought it was just a friendly competition between users. Using only 2019 pictures, if that's what they're doing, is stupid imo. I use T:ANE and have cranked out really good screenshots that rival TS2019. Not getting any votes does make you feel like your stuff isn't good enough. That said, I still enjoy the competition of entering in my screenies, regardless of whether or not they get votes. Btw, thank you Kotanga for voting for me in the last one much appreciated.
    I play Trainz with a laptop

HP Z Book 17, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, NVIDIA Quadro K5100M, Mobile Intel QM87.

Not a problem ministerfarrigut, I thought your screenshot was really good and something different so I voted for it.

From what Zec Murphy has said it looks like they accept all screenshots as long as they were made in Trainz. The competition has got a lot more difficult lately to get a vote because the standard of entries is now so high. Personal tastes of those voting counts a lot too; - some folk like steam engines, some don't, - some folk like the Uk scene, some don't. I know when I come to vote I try to keep an open mind and just vote on the quality of the screenshots, but my own personal bias towards steam and the Uk scene is something that does have an unavoidable influence on my decision.

They do put the winning/best screenshots in the newsletter and I've got lucky with that a few times, but if it doesn't happen I don't mind. My complaint was sparked off because it seemed like my screenshot had been ignored despite being in the top four best screenshots, but it looks like that was just down to a vote counting error and not because of any 'secret' N3V policy towards the screenshots they publish.
    Last edited by KotangaGirl; February 24th, 2020 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Well other than your answer from Zec, I also found out where my newsletter went - the dreaded JunkMail folder. Not in my client but on the website. Hopefully I'll find it next time.

Thanks for your topic which helped to shed light on the way N3V collects these.
    Personally they all deserve to be in the newsletter.

Cheers
    Win 10 X64 - i7-8700 16Gb Ram GTX 1060 3Gb
    TRS19 Platinum Build 105100
    T:ANE Build 105930 (SP4)
    TMR17 Build 85470

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    Thanks pware.

If it came to being allowed any car I wanted I would much rather have a Morgan cyclecar over a Ferrari. Far more fun in my opinion.
    My brother wants one of those, except in British Racing Green.

Given the kind of traffic we have, I would keep it in the driveway and admire it since I don't drive much either due to medical reasons.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

Blog Entries

There is a modern "Moggie" produced if you want one, with a Harley Davidson engine and built to modern standards. It costs from £31,000 upwards and, as they are handmade, a long waiting time for delivery.
    John,
    (A bear of little brain)

Yes I've heard about those and I've seen all the pretty pictures. If money was no object I still think I'd go for one of the old pre-war ones. BUT I'm an OAP and I'm no longer allowed to drive to it's all a bit moot. Still, dreams are free.

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    Yes I've heard about those and I've seen all the pretty pictures. If money was no object I still think I'd go for one of the old pre-war ones. BUT I'm an OAP and I'm no longer allowed to drive to it's all a bit moot. Still, dreams are free.
    My Father actually had an original one up until I appeared in 1952! He always said he wished he had hung on to it.

I prefer the look of the original ones personally, keeping on topic we could do with one for Trainz.....
    Malc

I prefer the look of the original ones personally, keeping on topic we could do with one for Trainz.....
    YES! That would be wonderful Malc. There are some good pre-WW2 Uk vehicles available for Trainz, but cyclecars are conspicuous by their absence. I have been a long time cyclecar enthusiast and my metal trades tradesman Dad taught me how to use tools when I was young so I have always tinkered about with old British cars and motorcycles. Or I did until I developed narcolepsy (sigh). A Morgan 3 wheeler for Trainz would be a delightful thing for me to place into my little make believe world and it would mean so much.

United States of America, New York, Albany

For me, I've always assumed editing the screenshots for the competition was not allowed. Should be just a raw shot from the game really.

As for the newsletter, it used to be they were more consistent with matching the shots shown w those w highest votes. Before that I believe it was only the winning shot that got featured, but somewhere along the way that changed to a selection of the top N images. I think most who enter just do it for fun and dont really expect anything to come of it except for the brief fame. I try to vote for whichever one(s) are the best regardless of the subject (steam, diesel, modern, classic etc)

My one gripe w the competitions is when there is a theme, voting seems to still follow what is best looking even when others fit the theme (the winner doesn't). Blows my mind, as it takes more time to create a themed shot usually. Oh well, such is life.

Kotangagirl, I wouldn't give up , your shots have been very well done (receiving several wins and high rankings both).

Thanks very much whamm0. I like to enter the competition purely for fun and to challenge myself to see what I can come up with in the way of a really good screenshot. I learn a lot from seeing what others are doing too. I do agree about the themes though as they take a lot more work to set up. I think I've only entered one themed screenshot because I couldn't come up with anything I liked well enough to post with the other competition themes.

Now, see, I've obviously been putting filters and editing some of my screenies just to give a weathered look. Is that...wrong?
    I play Trainz with a laptop

HP Z Book 17, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, NVIDIA Quadro K5100M, Mobile Intel QM87.

Difficult to say. With using a filter to make a screenshot look like an old photo it's very plain what you've done, but using Photoshop to enhance a screenshot, - especially where it's difficult to tell if the screenshot has been worked on, - is definitely getting into cheating territory to my mind.

Anything that is not a raw game screenshot (i.e. enhanced or framed) ceases to become a screenshot. it is then an amended screenshot.

Not saying that it's OK or not because I have never seen the full rules!

I have in the past framed shots, changed the tone (sepia, B&W) but never knew if it was allowed or not.

I was a bit miffed with one voter when he said that my shot that week was photoshopped, it certainly wasn't!

We need some clarity please
    Graham,

AND PLAY TRAINZ!

United States of America, New York, Albany

Well, technically I don't believe there are any formal rules (besides the code of conduct Nick links to each time, which doesn't cover screenshots really). Most folks try not to manipulate too much, if at all, but if it helps make a shot more creative and is obvious, I say it should be ok, but used rarely.(just my opinion though). In any case, no one has really gotten upset about it that I have seen. Now if there was a theme for that week which asked for filters or other manipulations that would be ok.