Screenshot Competition, - not happy.

Thanks very much whamm0. I like to enter the competition purely for fun and to challenge myself to see what I can come up with in the way of a really good screenshot. I learn a lot from seeing what others are doing too. I do agree about the themes though as they take a lot more work to set up. I think I've only entered one themed screenshot because I couldn't come up with anything I liked well enough to post with the other competition themes.

Difficult to say. With using a filter to make a screenshot look like an old photo it's very plain what you've done, but using Photoshop to enhance a screenshot, - especially where it's difficult to tell if the screenshot has been worked on, - is definitely getting into cheating territory to my mind.

Anything that is not a raw game screenshot (i.e. enhanced or framed) ceases to become a screenshot. it is then an amended screenshot.

Not saying that it's OK or not because I have never seen the full rules!

I have in the past framed shots, changed the tone (sepia, B&W) but never knew if it was allowed or not.

I was a bit miffed with one voter when he said that my shot that week was photoshopped, it certainly wasn't!

We need some clarity please :)

Well, technically I don't believe there are any formal rules (besides the code of conduct Nick links to each time, which doesn't cover screenshots really). Most folks try not to manipulate too much, if at all, but if it helps make a shot more creative and is obvious, I say it should be ok, but used rarely.(just my opinion though). In any case, no one has really gotten upset about it that I have seen. Now if there was a theme for that week which asked for filters or other manipulations that would be ok.

Think the clue is in the the title "Screenshot Competition" That to me means actual screenshots, not manipulated in Photoshop, PSP or whatever images. Yes there is room for people to indulge in edited images by posting them in an appropriate thread.
Pretty sure they are not all 2019 Screenshots that are selected for the Newsletter.

Remember mezzoprezzo and the wonderful screenshots that were posted in the past competitions? Now he was a master at capture and presentation. I think the screenshots were taken in trs004 and they won regularlarly even though later trainz versions screenshots were entered. I remember trying to beat him and it was my weekly dedication, but he was just too good. I take my hat of to him and his brilliant skill. Whatever has happened to mezzoprezzo as have not seen any posts for quite a while now?

As for the theme screenshots competition if I vote, it is only for the themed pics. These folk go that extra mile to dedicate themselves to create the theme and should be recognised for it. I quickly bypass the pics that do not adhere to the theme and do wonder why they were even posted at all as not honest to the subject...........

Paradoxically, the most votes i've ever had on any screenshot competition, were with pictures made on TS2009 (which is graphically and in terms of performance and stability much worse than T:ANE).

Around 80% of the screenshots I've submitted to the screenshot competition were made in TS2012 so the older versions can still cut it when it comes to taking good looking screenshots. I still have TS2009 installed so perhaps I should have a go with that as well. :)

Thanks very much Ray. Hopewood Tramway No.7 usually shunts the sawmill sidings on my Norfolk layout and I took that snap while the crew were having a cuppa between jobs.

Congratulations KotangaGirl on getting another screenshot into the N3V newsletter this week. I knew you could do it regardless of which Trainz version you were using.

I was really impressed by all the work you put into that roof - that "sky shot" with the black metal roof supports really made the difference.

Thanks very much pware. That roof was not particularly easy to set in place over the platforms with everything fitting perfectly. I'm glad I persevered with it though.

I only entered one this week because I heard something about a Ferrari as 1st prize. That's a good sign that NV3 is doing really well. Darn it all, with a prize like that, I should have morphed in some real train pics and photo shopped the hell out it ......

I really haven't a clue what I'm going to do with the two I've won so far.

:hehe::D:hehe::D

Last edited:
Back