Any advantage to using SSD's for multiple HD's with TRS2019?

C_Blabsky

I use a tower to have a big, ugly, noisy thing to curse at. Does TRS2019 take advantage of being installed on a solid state drive instead of a whirly thing? (I'm aware most of the work is on the shoulders of the graphic card genie.) Gracias.

Also, I will install on secondary (tertiary, forthieary) drive away from the OS.

Last edited:
Yes - Both SATA and PCIe NVME SSDs can make a significant, positive difference to your TRS19 experience - both in terms of performance - and relative silence in operation!
Loading times are faster; database repairs and file-ops take far less time to complete, and there is a small, but measurable improvement in in-game responsiveness, including a visible reduction in lagged asset pop-ups.
No probs splitting the data and program files over a couple of SSDs either. My TRS19 program files are on my fastest, boot-drive SSD (C: ) and the UserData folder resides on SSD (D: ) Works well - and quietly. :)

I put my program on an SSD and my terabytes of data on enterprise-quality hard disks with 5-year warranties. The cheap consumer-grade hard disks were dying on me in a matter of a year or so. SSD's are nice and fast, but their longevity isn't really there and they develop wear spots and eventually fail.

At any rate no matter what system you choose, plan on a diligent backup routine for your data. Always keep in mind that programs can be replaced, well mostly, but data cannot. Being a retired IT guy who ran computer rooms for decades, I'm extremely paranoid about that and have multiple backups of content and data.

Thanks for the responses. My current set-up is program on SSD and data on second drive, which is quite adequate now. Thinking into the future, and not sure if I'll do much more now than a graphics upgrade for a few months.

I'm in the 'hard disk for back-up/long term storage' camp. I also keep as trophies boxes of the hard disks from computers past. Should keep the forensic people busy for a while after my mysterious disappearance.

Of course. The advantage of an SSD is its high performance. But in my experience, I have encountered the problem that SSD's longevity isn't really there. Because of that, I had serious problems with my work. I was lucky that one of my colleagues had experience in this field because I was inexperienced and did not know what to do. He advised me the Data Recovery service, which can recover any deleted files. This situation taught me that I should always have several copies of my data, just in case.

Evening all,

I agree with the Comments exhibited here. I'm also an old retired IT person, 20 yrs worth ...I will not drag you thru my War Stories of Dos 2.0 thru all the Versions of Wins and Mac's. Safe to say, 3 Backups minimum, one at house, one in the Cloud, and one completely off site, Friend or Relative.

SSD's love them, but as stated, they suffer Heat Distress by design, there is not proper Cooling in Laptops, I lost one already due to heat buildup and Dirty Fans on Laptop. :(

Platters Drives Commercial Grade is a must, I have suffered off the cheap ones too, more than I want to admit! :'(

But for long term backups, reliability, even at this advent of SSD's I'll take Platter over SSD, along with Cloud at the Minimum. ;)

I put my program on an SSD and my terabytes of data on enterprise-quality hard disks with 5-year warranties. The cheap consumer-grade hard disks were dying on me in a matter of a year or so. SSD's are nice and fast, but their longevity isn't really there and they develop wear spots and eventually fail.

At any rate no matter what system you choose, plan on a diligent backup routine for your data. Always keep in mind that programs can be replaced, well mostly, but data cannot. Being a retired IT guy who ran computer rooms for decades, I'm extremely paranoid about that and have multiple backups of content and data.

My setup is somewhat similar to John's in concept. My O/S is on an SSD. Most, but not all, Trainz installs are on another separate 1TB SSD. But the core of my activities, content creation and the like, are on a fast HDD because I trust them more than a SDD. And I back up anything important to a mirrored LAN HDD system (Synology).

Yes, a decent SSD may be faster but do I trust it - hmm, no!

My setup is somewhat similar to John's in concept. My O/S is on an SSD. Most, but not all, Trainz installs are on another separate 1TB SSD. But the core of my activities, content creation and the like, are on a fast HDD because I trust them more than a SDD. And I back up anything important to a mirrored LAN HDD system (Synology).

Yes, a decent SSD may be faster but do I trust it - hmm, no!

Similar however I still have 11 year old OCZ Agility 3s in service, a 120GB which is a boot drive on my oldest PC and 2 240TGB ones that have TS12 on one and Mint Linux on the other, I'm inclined to trust SSDs or rather certain makes of them. Curiously they are all showing 100% Performance and health in Hard Disk Sentinel and have been showing more than 100 days life left for years..... go figure.

Number 2 PC has 4 SSDs, 240GB boot and for Trainz 1 x 240GB, 1 x 500GB plus 2 x 2TB and 1 x 4TB spinners, I do have an add on PCIe 6 port SATA 3 controller in it though, main PC has again 4 SSDs, a 240GB for the OS, 2 x 1TB and 1 x 500GB plus 2 x 2TB spinners.

I also have installs on Spinners and the main difference is speed of database repairs and loading, when Trainz is up and running there isn't really any vast difference in performance. Important stuff like content creation is on spinners backed up and mirrored also on both my main PCs.

I have 2 mirrored 4 TB backups for OS Images Data and Trainz and another 4TB that has copies of everything I have ever downloaded, that's Trainz assets, installers and all program installers as well, I've actually networked them by sharing through one of my PCs as my Seagate NAS box ( bad choice) won't work without SMB1 and required logging into to Seagate every time I wanted to use it, I stripped the drives out of it and reused them. This system also works for backing up my Linux Install,the backup drives are switched off when not being used.

I use Macrium reflect for system drive images and FreeFileSync for backing up Trainz and my Content Creation stuff, it's pretty fast as it just syncs / mirrors the backups with the original, to restore just reverse the direction.

I would never ever trust the cloud as being a permanent storage, been bitten once so never again besides at 20MB/s upload it would take for ever to backup all my stuff.

Last edited:
Back