Thread: Any advantage to using SSD's for multiple HD's with TRS2019?

Question Any advantage to using SSD's for multiple HD's with TRS2019?

I use a tower to have a big, ugly, noisy thing to curse at. Does TRS2019 take advantage of being installed on a solid state drive instead of a whirly thing? (I'm aware most of the work is on the shoulders of the graphic card genie.) Gracias.

Also, I will install on secondary (tertiary, forthieary) drive away from the OS.
    Last edited by C_Blabsky; February 19th, 2020 at 09:55 PM. Reason: follow up question

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

It sure makes the database repair cycles faster.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    PCIe SSD operation (program and build)

I am glad with the program on a SSD and the content, around 1.7 TB, on a HD.

Regards
    Swordfish

Yes - Both SATA and PCIe NVME SSDs can make a significant, positive difference to your TRS19 experience - both in terms of performance - and relative silence in operation!
    Loading times are faster; database repairs and file-ops take far less time to complete, and there is a small, but measurable improvement in in-game responsiveness, including a visible reduction in lagged asset pop-ups.
    No probs splitting the data and program files over a couple of SSDs either. My TRS19 program files are on my fastest, boot-drive SSD (C: ) and the UserData folder resides on SSD (D: ) Works well - and quietly.

ha.. just saw this. I just posted this over on your other post:
    https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...72#post1796072
    TRS19 SP1(Plus), 105100(plus), 106618(+beta)
    ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

I put my program on an SSD and my terabytes of data on enterprise-quality hard disks with 5-year warranties. The cheap consumer-grade hard disks were dying on me in a matter of a year or so. SSD's are nice and fast, but their longevity isn't really there and they develop wear spots and eventually fail.

At any rate no matter what system you choose, plan on a diligent backup routine for your data. Always keep in mind that programs can be replaced, well mostly, but data cannot. Being a retired IT guy who ran computer rooms for decades, I'm extremely paranoid about that and have multiple backups of content and data.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

Thanks for the responses. My current set-up is program on SSD and data on second drive, which is quite adequate now. Thinking into the future, and not sure if I'll do much more now than a graphics upgrade for a few months.

I'm in the 'hard disk for back-up/long term storage' camp. I also keep as trophies boxes of the hard disks from computers past. Should keep the forensic people busy for a while after my mysterious disappearance.