First Avelia Liberty Train Heads to Colorado for Testing 2/17/2020

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
The first trainset of the successor to the Acela, the Avelia Liberty, is on its way to the Transportation and Testing Center outside of Pueblo, Colorado. It was caught passing by the Lake Shore Railway Museum, in North East, Pennsylvania on February 17th, 2020. Credit to Virtual Railfan for having this webcam.

What I'm wondering is if it's equipped with Scharfenberg coupler, like the Alstom Avelia Euroduplex, or the Janney coupler, like the rest of Amtrak's roster.

This one had Janneys in the locomotive noses to connect to the Viewliners on either end. The cars are all married pairs with shared trucks, not sure how the cars connect to the locomotives.

peter

This one had Janneys in the locomotive noses to connect to the Viewliners on either end. The cars are all married pairs with shared trucks, not sure how the cars connect to the locomotives.

peter

Probably some sort of drawbar between the two. I thought that the Avelia Liberty will be built with Scharfenberg couplers instead of Janneys, based on a video I once saw that I now can't find.

I didn't see a scharfenberg on it... but I also didn't stick my head between the cars. What I could see was a rod of steel coming out from the locomotive (what was on it deep inside the nose I could not see) and on the end was a Janney. I would think that if there was a scharfenberg on it, it would have been close enough to the opening that another car could couple to it... making it visible from the "outside"

Was it this image: https://i.insider.com/5e28a2af24306a3e83779a75?width=1300&format=jpeg&auto=webp
The one heading to Pueblo also didn't have the doors to close the nose installed... It may be that a whole section of the nose & coupling system was removed for the trip to Pueblo & will be re-attached once at TTCI.

peter

Back