Invisible load

Ghost42

I am loading 'Newsprint paper roll - SAP' onto '70ton AAR Flatcar C&O', loads ok but it is invisible.
Is it a known bug, wrong car etc.
I could change the load but would prefer not to.
TRS19.

Is a bug. It may be known or not. But there are some commodities that no matter what you do, would not show. Any takers?

Is a bug. It may be known or not. But there are some commodities that no matter what you do, would not show. Any takers?

Perhaps something to do with the material/texture of that particular item?
As that is one of MSGSapper's assets perhaps I had better retract that? :)

Last edited:
Newsprint rolls and (paper rolls) are/were generally shipped in boxcars, maybe a refer to get the car somewhere more useful. I would imagine that the asset doesn't have a mesh as it was intended to be loaded in a closed car. You would need to ask the author or look at the config file for the commodity and see if it has a mesh or graphic of some sort to know for sure. If I was making a commodity asset similar to that I would probably not include a visible load to it as that sort of load is normally only seen as it enters and exits the car. I might put a visible load for a boxed product, but for rolled paper it just wouldn't seem to be worth the time, as most paper handling facilities are protected from weather such that it would be difficult to find a view of the load (Some facilities in the southern US have more open loading platforms but for the most part there is a building in the way of observation). I might, to represent a car in a facility being unloaded/loaded, use a faux load like a sort of picture box by the door to hide the empty car; but, having worked transporting paper in the US, I saw that once a car was loaded it was closed, and wouldn't be open until they were being unloaded.

Newsprint rolls and (paper rolls) are/were generally shipped in boxcars, maybe a refer to get the car somewhere more useful. I would imagine that the asset doesn't have a mesh as it was intended to be loaded in a closed car. You would need to ask the author or look at the config file for the commodity and see if it has a mesh or graphic of some sort to know for sure. If I was making a commodity asset similar to that I would probably not include a visible load to it as that sort of load is normally only seen as it enters and exits the car. I might put a visible load for a boxed product, but for rolled paper it just wouldn't seem to be worth the time, as most paper handling facilities are protected from weather such that it would be difficult to find a view of the load (Some facilities in the southern US have more open loading platforms but for the most part there is a building in the way of observation). I might, to represent a car in a facility being unloaded/loaded, use a faux load like a sort of picture box by the door to hide the empty car; but, having worked transporting paper in the US, I saw that once a car was loaded it was closed, and wouldn't be open until they were being unloaded.

I checked the asset and no im file, the answer is to change the cars, thanks, makes sense.

I agree with the TSwenson. Having worked in the graphics industry, I visited many printers on press runs and the paper was delivered and moved very quickly indoors. This is very important because the paper can change dimensions just enough to throw of the registration on the press as it adjusts to its environment. On one press run we saw this happen right in front of our eyes due to a sudden humidity change for the worse causing the job to go out of registration while on the press causing the yellow plate not to line up with the cyan already printed.

I am loading 'Newsprint paper roll - SAP' onto '70ton AAR Flatcar C&O', loads ok but it is invisible.
Is it a known bug, wrong car etc. I could change the load but would prefer not to.
TRS19.

The description of this asset actually tells you. "Newsprint paper roll product load for boxcar. Non-visible product."

The only fault I see with this asset is that the thumbnail image isn't 240x180 pixels in size.

Last edited:
I love using boxcars that open the doors. And as such, I love to see what is inside. If the commodity is invisible... well..., you know..

I've been loading paper rolls onto boxcars that feature open-able doors using yukonzoom's (brown) <KUID:206307:100409> Paper Roll (Pulpboard) and (white) <KUID:206307:100410> Paper Roll (Bleached). Both items are available on the DLS. These loads are visible in the cars I've been using. yukonzoom has also created a "scenery" version for placement of loading docks and platforms.

Back