Change default Trackmark radius?

jcardana

Trainz Enthusiast
Is it possible to change Surveyor's default Trackmark radius?

I use a lot of Clickety-Clack Triggers <kuid2:76656:70000:2>

Surveyor sets a default radius to 20m. I have to change them all to 1m. I rarely, if ever, use any radius more than 10m.

Thank you for your time,

Joe

Interesting question which I can't find an answer to. In Tane SP3 it seemed to be set to 10 metres, but with SP4 it's now 20m which I never use, so I have the same problem of having to change ever one I set.

Go to Menu "Tracks" then "Add trackmark". Right click on the TRICKER, then go back to the menu at the bottom click on "ADVANCED" there you can set the RADIUS of the "TRIGGER".

Lukewc

Post #3 is correct and the easier way. Once you have a set 1mt, just click on each and every trackmark you can see. You can do that also for turnouts, invisible speed markers and frog noise makers.

I disagree, that clearly doesn't work. You can preset a radius but when you place it, it reverts to 20 metres even though you've selected a lower radius. You then have to go and change each one individually.

Bear in mind also that if you set a trackmark to a low radius then a fast train might miss seeing the trackmark.

You guys are arguing over the obvious and missing the point. I know how to set the radius AFTER placing the trackmarks.
I was asking, can the radius be set BEFORE placing trackmarks.
Apparently, the answer is no.

You guys are arguing over the obvious and missing the point. I know how to set the radius AFTER placing the trackmarks.
I was asking, can the radius be set BEFORE placing trackmarks.
Apparently, the answer is no.
What you want to do defeats the purpose of flexibility on the game: I have situations where I have to have the 20 mt radius and other when one meter is better, post #8 illustrates this. Now you change the config file of the trackmarks and all of them would be a minimum radius. Eventually you wold wish you would not have done it.

To add on this: A simple set-up of one route with one session. Open the route and place a trackmark. Set the radius. Now open a session and look at the radius of the trackmark. It should be the same as you set in the route. Now go back to the route and change the radius of any trackmark previously installed. Go to the session and you may see that what changes in the route (parameters) does not change in the session! How come? I found that changing parameters on a newly installed asset, prevails, but if you try to change it on an asset that was already installed several saves ago, it will not prevail and you'll have to change the parameters in the session. This "function" is valid also for M.I.N.s and points. Knowing these things saves frustrations down the line.

Since it is the default setting, Trainz on start up will use this value as it is in the hard code. Once you have changed the radii yourself they will be saved for future use in your session. I agree the ability to change them all at one go would be nice but it might sometimes be desirable to have different values for different trackmarks/triggers/points on the route.

I can't think of a single time I've thought it's great that the default radius for a switch (which behave the same way trackmarks and trigger radii do) is as big as it is and I end up having to change every single switch to something smaller on every route I make.

I can't think of a single time I've thought it's great that the default radius for a switch (which behave the same way trackmarks and trigger radii do) is as big as it is

... and I have exactly the opposite view. I cannot think of a single time where I had thought that the default radius for a switch should be smaller (or bigger) than it is ... and so on.

I agree with your point that it would be nice to be able to set the default values for all sorts of variables and options in Trainz somewhere, even in a Trainz.ini file like in the old days of Windows or the system registry for those who are really adventurous. But I suspect that it is not high on N3Vs list of priorities, nor mine for that matter. As Tony has more than once remarked, if everyone who now has TANE or TRS19 became a Gold Subscriber, then these changes would happen very quickly.

Yes, that has become Tony's go to mantra these days. :hehe:

But the OP has a point in that it was 10 and now it is 20. Why the change?

William

Last edited:
I can't think of a single time I've thought it's great that the default radius for a switch (which behave the same way trackmarks and trigger radii do) is as big as it is and I end up having to change every single switch to something smaller on every route I make.

I'm with you on this. It's frustrating when you're working in a yard and prob never doing more than 5 - 10 mph, yet you have to drive 20m (65') past a switch to change it.

I have Trainz set to "NOT" automatically install switches. I install all my switches after track is laid, and I set every single one of them to the minimum 1m while installing. Train speed will dictate how close the train can be anyway, but when you're crawling along at 2 mph and have to drive 65' past a switch in order to change it, no thanks. Nothing real about that.

Last edited:
Back