faint slider in drivers list box in Driver

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
Anyone else having trouble seeing the slider in the Drivers list box when in Driver.
drivers.JPG
Dark grey on medium grey is not the best contrast. I know there are many more active drivers in my route so I know I need to scroll down to see more of them but if it was someone else's session, I could easily miss any at the bottom of the list.

Same here. It is difficult to see where to place the mouse to grab it - but I seem to recall that this has always been the case in TRS19.

In TANE you had the up/down buttons (oh no! not buttons again!) at the top and no scroll bar. I prefer the scroll bar but it would be nice if you could see it.

EDIT: Submitted bug report - because if no one does then nothing will get done!

Last edited:
Yep the whole thing is a mess - try keeping track of more than 4 or 5 drivers - damn thing jumps up and down when mousing the slider - real pain in the neck.
Seems this "Dark Theme" is a sign of the times - maybe we need to go back to the late 80's early 90's pastel salmon, pale blue and grey colours everywhere - now that might help the eye sight!

Better yet let us choose our own "Theme" now that would be a winner!!!!

Last edited:
I can tell you that this was pointed out in the beta testing forum more than once before release. I don't recall that N3V ever provided an "official" response.

Yep the whole thing is a mess - try keeping track of more than 4 or 5 drivers - damn thing jumps up and down when mousing the slider - real pain in the neck.
Seems this "Dark Theme" is a sign of the times - maybe we need to go back to the late 80's early 90's pastel salmon, pale blue and grey colours everywhere - now that might help the eye sight!

Better yet let us choose our own "Theme" now that would be a winner!!!!

Yeah the "dark theme" and text the size of ants. This is the thing with a lot of programs including the Windows operating system. I know there are many people younger than us, but shouldn't they take into consideration that not everyone is 20 years old.

The other thing too with the driver list is it opens up at the top every time so you need to scroll down to find the driver you need to go to. There's no way of jumping to the specific driver posting a gazillion messages and wading through 20 drivers is a bit clumsy.

I can tell you that this was pointed out in the beta testing forum more than once before release. I don't recall that N3V ever provided an "official" response.

I remember that as well. Hopefully the bug report will get this on the docket officially again.

and another thing, all those messages! Since the same driver name gets reused by the AI system when emitted by a Portal, having a message stating that a driver is stuck doesn't help when there are several drivers with the same name. Who decided that this was a good thing? :n:

Last edited:
one thing I don't like about the driver window. If you click in it or on the slider, you have to click again in the main window to use keyboard controls. I know times when I have forgotten and can't for a second why a key press doesn't work. (old age is my guess).

Rob

The "black" motif was used to attract the younger customers who have adopted the black clothing and other uses of that color. You can thank the entertainment medium, that serves that age group, who steered them into a dark place. N3V must be terrified about loosing their new base should they actually adopt brighter, more readable message formats. Have you noticed a few comments asking why some posted pictures are so dark?

I'm in the middle of building up a new Win 10 Xeon computer to run TS2019 so I'm running TS2012 on a spare i5 machine at the moment to keep my Trainz habit satisfied. I constantly find myself wondering why the menus in TS2019 can't be nice and easy to see and read like they are in TS2012.

Anyone else having trouble seeing the slider in the Drivers list box when in Driver.
Dark grey on medium grey is not the best contrast. I know there are many more active drivers in my route so I know I need to scroll down to see more of them but if it was someone else's session, I could easily miss any at the bottom of the list.

Grey on black has been a problem since T:ANE. As others have mentioned, many have complained about it for years with no response from N3V.
Feedback was given to N3V during T19 Beta Testing.

All to no avail.

The only way I found out about the Brightness Slider was reading forum posts.

A Brightness Slider? Really? Where? squint. squint. Aha! There it is!
Which object is selected? squint. squint. lean in close. Oh, that one.
What is being pasted? ditto, ditto, ditto
Etc, Etc, Etc.

And I'll echo the complaints about the font sizes.

As a person who spent his entire (long) adult life in information technology, I can tell you that setting global foreground/background colors, information box sizes, and font sizes is not rocket science with today's modern interfaces. Undocking information boxes to permit moving them to a different location, including a second screen, is also child's play.

ETA: Can I get a show of hands from everyone who thought N3V needed to have animated driver's faces?

No one? Really? I wonder why N3V thought that was more important than fixing the colors.

Last edited:
The other thing too with the driver list is it opens up at the top every time so you need to scroll down to find the driver you need to go to. There's no way of jumping to the specific driver posting a gazillion messages and wading through 20 drivers is a bit clumsy.

In the Driver Rules screen, Rules can be dragged up and down in the list.
If, in Edit Driver Commands, drivers could likewise be dragged up and down, we, the ignored end user, could decide the order of the drivers in the box when running a session.

and another thing, all those messages! Since the same driver name get reused by the AI system when emitted by a Portal, having a message stating that a driver is stuck doesn't help when there are several drivers with the same name. How decided that this was a good thing? :n:

All my trains are AI. Seeing messages like: Approaching Junction 1234 at 384 feet for every AI driver for every junction is ridiculous.

News on the Bug Report. QA have passed it on to Development. That's one step in the right direction.

News on the Bug Report. QA have passed it on to Development. That's one step in the right direction.
Thanks for pushing this into the Bug Report. So there is still hope, even if it is just a faint glimmer on the horizon. Or an oncoming consist!

In the Driver Rules screen, Rules can be dragged up and down in the list.
If, in Edit Driver Commands, drivers could likewise be dragged up and down, we, the ignored end user, could decide the order of the drivers in the box when running a session.

That would be helpful and how about making the currently selected driver the one that the list opens up to instead of scrolling all the way down the list to find him/her/it.

Back