Dearth of Narrow gauge tunnels on DLS

dangavel

I've spent the better part of two days looking for decent looking freeware Narrow gauge tunnels that are available on the DLS so that when i upload the Timber ridge line it will all be available for users. this has proven to be a tricky exercise . I've acquired a lot of Trainz Italia routes and many of the tunnel assets i have are from there as well as the Colorado71 tunnel bores, which are only available from his site. I discovered that the indigo tunnel, which altho standard gauge, is one of the best items around and one i was using placing MS portals over the entries, is not on the DLS . So that's out of the equation . When I have found good bores, I cant find portals that fit them, there's always at least a few mm gap on either side. grrrrr !

The dedicated 3ft tunnels on the DLS all look cruddy and also, they are very hard to get to seat well. I remember when i first worked on the timber ridge back in 2013 I was incredibly frustrated trying to get them to work , nearly put me off the software altogether.

The best portals and bores are standard gauge and none of them can be reskinned . so a real quandary and I am having to make a lash up of the AJS old stone tunnel ( which is SG ) seated as low as I can get it and then placing narrow gauge track on top of the standard gauge track. Not ideal as even a K-37 looks rather small when inside one. the only good thing would be if anyone wanted to standard gauge the route the tunnels would not need replacing. .
Two things, if anyone is able to make a set of decent narrow gauge tunnel I'd happily commission them and secondly, am I missing any good narrow gauge tunnels On the DLS or that can be reskinned and uploaded there that have somehow slipped under my radar ?

Have you looked at any UK standard gauge tunnels? The K-36 doesn't seem far off in size compared to UK locos.

Have you looked at any UK standard gauge tunnels? The K-36 doesn't seem far off in size compared to UK locos.
Not seen one remotely close to a Colorado ng tunnel, I've tried all nationalities I can find , although haven't looked at tunnel asset titles written in other languages, .i will give that a go.

Last edited:
The K-37 locos were actually standard gauge engines in size.

"Denver & Rio Grande Western K-37s are 2-8-2 "Mikado" type narrow-gauge steam locomotives. They were originally built by Baldwin as part of an order for thirty standard gauge 2-8-0 "Consolidation" type locomotives, class 190, in 1902. They were renumbered into class C-41 (meaning 41,000 lbs of tractive effort) during the railroad's reorganization in 1924 and were converted to 3 ft (914 mm) gauge in 1928-30 at the railroad's Burnham Shops in Denver, CO with many new parts including new frames and smaller drivers. They then became class K-37."

Thanks for the suggestions folks, but none of theses are flexible enough , most items are not suitable as they need surrounding rock blends that don't fit into the terrain or are too wide to fit existing bores. The biggest issue is hosting on other sites, which although understandable, is a giant pain in the rear if you are trying to make a route for everyone to use. At times it feels like rolling the stone up the hill only to have it roll back down as soon As your back is turned.
The issue would not exist if more content creators were flexible regarding allowing reskins , or if more assets were hosted on the DLS , the whole system seems designed to create the most angst and frustration among users, is there any other game that exists where participants spend a large proportion of their time actually looking for the items that the game needs to function, rather than playing the game ?

I rather doubt it.....

Last edited:
Dan, have you explored the tunnels found in the objects - spline tab? Also, are you familiar with a tunnel spline with wooden support beams inside the tunnel? I saw a screenshot of one of your tunnels on the ng thread, it looked very nice.

Found that track

djb Old Tunnel 1T 1mNG <kuid:55396:38005>

Its old but its a DLS item.

Last edited:
Dan, have you explored the tunnels found in the objects - spline tab? Also, are you familiar with a tunnel spline with wooden support beams inside the tunnel? I saw a screenshot of one of your tunnels on the ng thread, it looked very nice.

Found that track

djb Old Tunnel 1T 1mNG <kuid:55396:38005>

Its old but its a DLS item.
Yes the k37s were SG upper gear mounted on ng frames, they still look v small in the portal, but it will have to do.
I've looked at everything I can find, the 760mm tunnels have potential but the portal on the OL has three large rear gaps and I cant find any way to cover them up easily. the bores are good, but taper inwards and as yet, i cant find a portal to cover the gap up. the one i have found which is close has grass on the top , don't know if that can be reskinned , most likely not ....grrr.!!!!!
yeah, I have used the djb tunnels and I am not very keen on them , they are build 1.5 very 'difficult" to work with and the portals don't look very nice to my eyes. they are reskinable, but when i opened one , all there was was a config file... no sign of any libraries that go with it......

I may have to try and prevail with a friend who makes great models to make me a portal to cover the 760 tunnel bores as they work very well . He is however, very busy, but i'll see if he can help out , it may be a fix for a later update when hes got less work on his plate .

Last edited:
Dan, I need 2 for the EBT. My track follows the original and I use DEM based terrain. For the era I'm looking at, 1 portal was still rockface and 2 were concrete with wingwalls but different bore shape. 4th was concrete but flat faced and rectangular bore. 3 portals had manually operated doors to help prevent winter freeze ups. I'll probably custom make both tunnels and considering incorporate some of the dem terrain as scenery around the portals.

In the mean time I'm searching for place holders.

Bob Pearson

Re the djb ng tunnels, they often cause strange effects, I seated a number of large rocks on top of the portal, but coming back to them later on after saving and quitting, some of these rocks were now floating over the portal , moving them back caused some very strange consequences, rocks disappearing , terrain rising and falling , in one case closing the entry completely . I managed to get it sorted after quitting and restarting a few times, but these are very old assets and obviously have some issues with newer versions of the game . I will have to replace them with other items.

Dan, I need 2 for the EBT. My track follows the original and I use DEM based terrain. For the era I'm looking at, 1 portal was still rockface and 2 were concrete with wingwalls but different bore shape. 4th was concrete but flat faced and rectangular bore. 3 portals had manually operated doors to help prevent winter freeze ups. I'll probably custom make both tunnels and considering incorporate some of the dem terrain as scenery around the portals.

In the mean time I'm searching for place holders.

Bob Pearson
I guess these will be for 2019 ? I'm contacting asset makers to see if they will give permission for me to reskin old bores ( replacing track and changing textures ) which may help give a few more options on the DLS.

Right now I'm working for a remake in TANE. But most everything I make will be "older" technology stuff. PBR and trainzmesh is into the future for me.

I noticed this thread yesterday with some good ideas.

Bob Pearson

Back