Thread: Who here has ever heard of running a full-size RR as a hobby?

United States of America, Oklahoma, Lawton
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Who here has ever heard of running a full-size RR as a hobby?

This 1971 Lassie episode depicts just that: sound far-fetched?

I first saw this when I was about eight or nine years old.
    It's recommended for train buffs and dog buffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRPYmzhJiZM

Would you go joy-riding on a handcar you were to find along a seemingly-abandoned train track?
    I don't think that would be a good idea even though some young boys might think it fun.
    Last edited by JonMyrlennBailey; February 14th, 2020 at 03:07 PM.
    TANE SP2 Build 90945, downloaded Dec. 2017, TS12 Build 61388, downloaded Feb. 2018, American citizen, Lawton, OK

United States of America, New York, Staten Island

I watched 1971 Lassie episode. I saw a car with train wheels instead of tires. The scariest part was when the small dog was accidentally knocked into the turntable pit and was trapped by a spike. Lassie was trying to get the man to stop moving the turntable until the last minute.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    I watched 1971 Lassie episode. I saw a car with train wheels instead of tires. The scariest part was when the small dog was accidentally knocked into the turntable pit and was trapped by a spike. Lassie was trying to get the man to stop moving the turntable until the last minute.
    The old man in the show supposedly owned the railroad line and was restoring it. I would think a person would have to be rich to do something like that.
    The Sierra Railroad of California is actually real and that locomotive No. 3 was actually famous and was used in television and movies a lot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rx4vrsGrT0

The number 3 steam engine is a Rogers 4-6-0. I don't know exactly on the California map that Lassie episode with the train was shot. Wikipedia said Sierra RR was a number of different lines. It must be at Jamestown, CA in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. It still runs that loco on excursion train rides. Jamestown, Ca is in Tuolumne County, California.

Here is the Railtown 197 website:
    https://www.railtown1897.org/
    Last edited by JonMyrlennBailey; February 14th, 2020 at 10:33 PM.
    TANE SP2 Build 90945, downloaded Dec. 2017, TS12 Build 61388, downloaded Feb. 2018, American citizen, Lawton, OK

The Sierra Railroad runs from Oakdale, California eastward up into the mountains of Tuolumne County. It is now the Oakdale division of Sierra Northern Railway, which has multiple operations across the state.
    Will Champion

There was/is a private standard gauge railway in Fife.
    I'm not sure if it transformed into the Fife Heritage Railway, but it's not totally unknown to have your own full-size RR.

Blog Entries

It's basically taking the train hobby to extremes when a sole proprietor has a full-size RR line for pleasure. I'm sure some billionaires could do this.
    It must be much more exciting than your typical Lionel train set of the 1970's.

My fantasy road if I were a trillionaire would be: the Sacramento Valley to Crescent City via Weaverville and Eureka: California's Redwood Empire RR.
    Last edited by JonMyrlennBailey; February 15th, 2020 at 05:40 AM.

There are/were several in the UK: Beeches Hill light Railway (Adrian Shooter), Fawley Hill Railway (the late Sir William McAlpine), Statfold Barn Railway (Graham Lee), Richmond Light Railway, Bredgar and Wormshill Light Railway, probably more I can't immediately think of too...

Most of these hold occasional open days for visitors, but are primarily private affairs run as hobbies, some (eg Statfold) have become closer in operation to a traditional heritage railway.

Name one trillionaire.
    Name one billionaire foolish enough to run a full-size RR as a hobby ?
    Since each, and every, Major RR Corporation has a hard time even keeping a RR running, and can not turn a profit, and loses money in the long run, why on earth would anyone want to waste their money running full-size a RR as a hobby ?
    Last edited by MP242; February 15th, 2020 at 09:56 AM.
    My 4325 car RGCX train is 53.24 miles long, and takes 1 hour to pass through town !

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by MP242 View Post
    Name one trillionaire.
    Since each, and every, Major RR Corporation has a hard time even keeping a RR running, and can not turn a profit, and loses money in the long run, why on earth would anyone want to waste their money running full-size a RR as a hobby ?
    They buy them and mostly run them as tax write-offs as in Tim Mellon and Pan Am Railways.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

Name one trillionaire.
    A full size railroad need not be a Class 1 operation. Smaller operations usually cost less.

Quote Originally Posted by JonMyrlennBailey View Post
    It's basically taking the train hobby to extremes when a sole proprietor has a full-size RR line for pleasure. I'm sure some billionaires could do this.
    It must be much more exciting than your typical Lionel train set of the 1970's.

My fantasy road if I were a trillionaire would be: the Sacramento Valley to Crescent City via Weaverville and Eureka: California's Redwood Empire RR.
    My brother works for the Forest Service out of Weaverville. That is a route I would like to see.
    Will Champion

Blog Entries

Name one trillionaire.
    I can't really name any trillionaire, but I was using that term to mean "if money were absolutely no object". The amount of money to do what I envision seems astronomical and untold to me. Building a new standard-gauge railroad through the Six Rivers National Forest seems prohibitively expensive these days. Bigfoot is more likely to be proven than what I dream of is to materialize.

Think of all the California and local politicians who would have to be paid off. Think about having to purchase all the right-of-way real estate. There was a time in American history when railroad developers got right-of-way land from the federal government dirt cheap. Think of locals and enviro groups that would squawk. I don't see any federal railroad expansion program or act in the future. I would not have the benefit of cheap immigrant labor to lay my pike, drill out my tunnels and build my bridges anyway. I imagine my pike's running along one or more of the six rivers in this area for scenery for tourists on excursion trains.

I think many more RR lines have been shut down or abandoned than new ones have been built over the last 75 years. When was the last new standard-gauge RR line laid in America?
    Last edited by JonMyrlennBailey; February 15th, 2020 at 12:43 PM.

The railway I work at is full size and we all give our free time up to do it. Most, if not all of us, treat it as a hobby and I doubt our net worth would make us anywhere close to being millionaires. The line was started in the late '80s on an old track bed and has slowly but surely extended from the initial length of a few hundred metres.

One of our recently repainted locos.

The old Yorkshire Dales station that will become a businessman's private hobby railway: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heri...lway-1-9895185
    Malc