Please clarify Train Priority

jcardana

Trainz Enthusiast
Please clarify Train Priority [SOLVED]

[SOLVED]
I'm sorry guys,

I know this should be basic common Trainz 101, but I'm at a loss.

In the image below, I have two white trucks on the tracks. The truck on the left is Priority 1, The truck on the right is Priority 2 and I have a third BNSF SW1500 (off screen) that's Priority 3.

The Pri3 loco is going first, then Pri 1 and 2 fight over the second to last junction on the right siding.

PriorityConflict.png

Thank you for your time babysitting me,

Joe

Last edited:
All train priority does is tell the truck/train/drivable asset which line in a multiple line run, to try to run on first. But, this involves the purple triangle(priority markers under the trigger/trackmark list) to be placed down and configured. IE: If track one is set to pri 1 and track 2 is set to pri 2, the vehicle set to pri 1 will try to use the pri 1 line first, if blocked, it will then try the other lines as an alternate route. All the AI cares about is getting to the next command in the command list. Priority in this sim has nothing to do with precedence or "who goes first." The 2 trucks are fighting over the turnout simply because they both are trying to "get there" and care not about other assets needing the same turnout or shared trackage rights.

All tracks have a default priority 2. All locos have a default priority 2.

If you have a Route with an industry on a passing siding, especially on the inside of a curve, the AI trains will "shortcut" through the industry tracks.

To prevent this:
Make the mainline tracks by the industry, Pri 1
Make the industry track, at least the entrance, Pri 3

Make all AI locos Pri 1

DriveTo Commands will work correctly. My understanding is NavigateTo may still take the shortcut if the main is blocked.

The direction of the purple marker has not bearing on anything.

If you zoom out to where the tracks are just lines, you will see three colors: White for Pri 1, regular blue for Pri 2, and light blue for Pri 3.

The tracks will retain their priorities even if the markers are removed. If you have a Pri 1 marker on a track and want to change it back to the default Pri 2, you must replace the marker with a Priority 2 marker.

I'm no expert on these and just learned about them within the past few months. I wish I could remember the name of the poster who first told me about them. They make AI routing a lot easier and more correct.

All tracks have a default priority 2. All locos have a default priority 2.

There is a known bug in TRS19 where a newly placed Track Priority Marker has its default priority set to 0. This can be changed to whatever value you want.

DriveTo Commands will work correctly. My understanding is NavigateTo may still take the shortcut if the main is blocked.

Drive To, Drive Via, Navigate To and Navigate Via commands will all be affected by priority levels except when the selected priority path is blocked (i.e. occupied by another consist, switches locked against them, etc). If the priority path is part of the destination of the consist (i.e. it has its next TO track marker or industry on the path) then it will be blocked and the Navigate To command will attempt to find an alternative path.

Last edited:
If you inadvertently leave it at 0, the track's priority does not change. If it was a 1, it stays a one. If it was a two it stays a two.

Hello, I had a one board little demo of this running a couple months ago when I too was wondering about priority. I managed to to keep 3 AI trains running their proper routes using priority only. I "tuned" my passing tracks to proper lengths to keep the trains moving very well, almost without a stop. Also had to put in a couple of spurs in at the end of the passing siding so the AI train would lock the spur turnout instead of the passing turnout.

Back