High Detail containers...

Ok new pics and pretty much final and will now go to making the different colors and logos... Oh and yeah the logo here is just for an example not meant to be prototypical...

2020-02-12-104751.jpg

You can see the nice 3d hardware on the door

2020-02-12-104742.jpg

As you can see it is fairly detailed down to the stove bolt heads to attach to the doors

2020-02-12-104800.jpg

Nice 3D rust and rot thanks to Substance painter so done in PBR they are gonna look so much better than the 2D textured ones we have now...

Now I am in no way disparaging the fine work since day one with containers, this is just something I can get done quick in PBR so I am re-learning asset creation for trainz as well as contributing ;)

Got the building done, testing done so I know the config text will work and sizing is good NOW the fun begins. I am gonna make substance painter textures with different rust and damage in different colors made, probably 4 or 5 rust and damage combos of each color.

Once that is done then it will just take exporting them all with the right skins and getting them in a single drop in asset of about 20 or 30 of each size, 20,40, 43,45,48 and 53 foot with all but the 53 foot being SC size or 8'6" high and the 53 is 9'6" high.

This way you can drop in 1 asset of each size into a car or industry track and get a assortment of different color containers...

Depending on how long it takes for me to title them with logos and markings will determine release date.

2020-02-19-151540.jpg

2020-02-19-151606.jpg

Once I get all the little details sorted I can run off 5 or 10 of each color and add logos last. I can get different rust and damage each time since the materials I am using most of not all have randomize buttons so I can get a different look on each one.

Ok been battling back and forth trying to use a material for the ribs and while I could fake it with a bump when you laid graphics and/or rust or grunge it would get funky throwing off light the wrong way...

So I decided to put in actual ribs on the model and I think the result is much better especially in regards to the way light bounces off the model.

2020-02-25-161730.jpg

2020-02-25-161834.jpg

2020-02-25-161740.jpg

Actually put em on some cars and run em around a little test track I have to get sunlight from different sides and took some screenshots. I think this method will be the way I proceed with the rest.

2020-02-26-062840.jpg

2020-02-26-062904.jpg

2020-02-26-062931.jpg

2020-02-26-063004.jpg

Now I think that will work LOL Only potential issues I see might be size. I want to do like 5 of each brand, those are 1.3mb 2k albedo's and 3.3mb parameter files, now I can cheat on the bump and use the same one for all but the param and albedo have to be pared since that is where the edge wear and stuff really is.

Now me, I don't care that a set of 60 containers is showing a gigabyte of space on disk (I am aware that number is more than double what the actual asset really is) but sheesh even half would be huge so I may wind up doing like 30 of each size in sets. Either way I think I have made up my mind and have the right setup of materials in Substance Painter to get the job done, this was supposed to be a way for me to relearn what it took to script and export into trainz again (been gone since 2012) but it has developed into a major project LOL

It isn't that the container is poly heavy it really isn't the container itself less than 2k polys and the door hardware is where the weight is and it is like 20k polys which compared to a loco or the train car they are in is miniscule and they use proper LOD so that is gonna make the game like em. I am gonna get the 20 footers done and probably ask for beta testers to take the cdp and test them while I am knocking out the rest.

I think I got the process down and when you are doing 60 of each size it is a PROCESS LOL

Back