High Detail containers...

mrscsi

Happily Retired
I have been gone awhile (8 years) and I know when I left JR was doing some cool stuff with containers but they were really photorealistic skinned simple boxes for the most part. I have looked and have not checked on all of them but for the most part most containers are build 2.6 or so...

I am thinking about making some detailed models and using LOD and PBR make some killer containers that up close will be highly detailed. But What I am wanting to know from some who have been here the last 8 years have they been done already and if so a name or Kuid would be appreciated...

Or if you think this is something you would like to see let me know...

I got ocemeys Contz pack and yeah I always liked them but I am thinking about JR loco"ish" detail containers. Now I am not sure that can be done but I think I can make a fairly high detail model that will not depend so much on normal maps as it does LOD. That is my plan I think anyway LOL

... Now I am not sure that can be done but I think I can make a fairly high detail model that will not depend so much on normal maps as it does LOD. That is my plan I think anyway LOL

Well, I suggest you need both a decent normal map and LOD. N3V want LOD so you can have a high(ish) poly LOD0 and a simple box for the lowest poly mesh.

Start with a super high poly version model and bake that to your LOD0 mesh to get the normal map needed to make your material set. The super high poly version is never used in game.

I know how to do it, but my thoughts are if you got high quality loco and 80 high detail well cars would having 2 high detail containers possibly 4 along with 2 well cars and a loco in the scene all at the same time what the performance degradation will be and will it be worth it.

LOD will kick in as you look down the consist but I can see that perfect storm where you can overload it when you combine high detail locos, cars and containers all in the same view within a lod distance threshold. But that is why we test LOL

For testing, I add a simple coloured box (notex) above each traincar so I can see what LOD level they are at. The LOD level drops off quite quickly as you pull away so you might find a consist of a loco and a couple of cars might be at the third level when all in view. Sometimes traincars will be at different levels if your FOV is near the front or back of the consist.

Majekear has been updating his boxcars so you might get some value by looking at them. I know he was dabbling with PBR but don't know if he released any. Whitepass has been doing some great work as well.

Cool thanks this is what I am wanting since I have been gone so long is if between trs12 and 19 we got some high end stuff. I came back because of the PBR and know I can run whatever I make, but I at least want to include tane but what I have in mind may have to be a TRS19 and up asset

For testing, I add a simple coloured box (notex) above each traincar so I can see what LOD level they are at. The LOD level drops off quite quickly as you pull away so you might find a consist of a loco and a couple of cars might be at the third level when all in view. Sometimes traincars will be at different levels if your FOV is near the front or back of the consist.

Majekear has been updating his boxcars so you might get some value by looking at them. I know he was dabbling with PBR but don't know if he released any. Whitepass has been doing some great work as well.

Be careful not to leave the extra box in. Some UK stock still has the LOD marker in on one of the levels. The creator is no longer available to fix it.

Cheerio John

Be careful not to leave the extra box in. ...

Nearly all my stuff are test assets and don't get uploaded but I take your point. I inadvertently left the FBX files in the last batch I did upload. That doesn't bother me.

... Some UK stock still has the LOD marker in on one of the levels. The creator is no longer available to fix it.

The CRG can fix those assets if you think it worthwhile. It will need the relevant KUIDs or the author.

Well being on the CRG is not something I want to do LOL I break enough stuff just in a single version of trainz

Glad to see that you're back after a extended vacation. I use JR's containers for my wellcars so yes I would like to see some more containers. I should warn you that if you decide to make some assets you may get some negative comments from those members who are never happy but please just ignore them because the other 98% appreciate your efforts. I always appreciate constructive criticism but not the other.

Glad to see that you're back after a extended vacation. I use JR's containers for my wellcars so yes I would like to see some more containers. I should warn you that if you decide to make some assets you may get some negative comments from those members who are never happy but please just ignore them because the other 98% appreciate your efforts. I always appreciate constructive criticism but not the other.

Well I dealt with that 8 years ago LOL I was working with JR and doing my own payware and I had lost it all over the years but Matruck had all 1.1 GB of it and let me download it all again and I was shocked about how prolific I was back then LOL

But right now I am relearning how to not only use trainz but create content for it so I will be doing it little by little...

What I am thinking about (if it works) will make a good addition for this new decade. But I have to relearn all about the attachment points and little things like that LOL the modeling I have down I can model almost anything. Just getting it to work in trainz and doing it where it looks great and is efficient that is the hurdle I need to clear

Woah! What is this?!?! Someone else that values high detail as well, and realizes it's 2020.. Rock on! Got me vote any day. Though I did just load up a sess, with JR 53's. They are by no means terrible. At any view they are fantastic, expect when smack on it. Then I see your comment and makes sense. I never questioned them until this thread... look what you did! Best we got, and it's what I use.

But you mention PBR and more detail.. and you get my attention sir. I would say containers probably be a good start to test out the PBR with DIY and up-to-speed on 19. Was/is on my todo list is PBR, but work/life took matters first this winter so far.

This is kinda what I am thinking about

Now the box itself is 711 polys for 3 sides and with the bottom being flat that is 2 more and 2 more for the front. That leaves me a lot to really do the doors. With substance painter doing the decals will not be much of an issue after laying down a beat up painted steel base coat...

Last edited:
Couple more shots of the door area early on...

cont-2.jpg

cont1.jpg

Some idea about the detail in the doors. Have the rubber door seal in the middle with a steel strip bolted on LOL
doors.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, so happy to see you just went straight into this!

They looking good! Can't wait to see em with some PBR!

I like the looks of your retooling the Containers Sir, and I will not complain, nor demand. :)

Respect and understanding go a long ways.........

I remember going to company meeting with several high level superiors, and out the gate, they told us one important thing? if you have a problem come up, be prepared to have a solution when you bring it up for discussion........I was too young and green back then, couldn't put it all together, now I do......We are all part of the solution in one form or another..........:)

Keep up the good work.......:wave:

Just looking at the best method now. this one super detailed and I have done some others that use a really nice corrugated material I have in substance painter. The second one is easier to color and logo, but for some reason when I spit it out the door hardware is black for some reason and not metal...

It all looks great in substance but one put into TRS the door hardware turns black...

So that is a step back for the moment. It has got to be something I am doing wrong and I will figure it out and yeah once I get one done then 40 will just be reskinning LOL

Last edited:
Back