Bought the C&O coal run, it didn't work, deleted the kid and the game crashed

We're trying to be helpful here, but in order to help you successfully, you need to provide as much detail about the problem you have. Saying that something is broken, doesn't go very far, and neither does providing very little details for us to work with. Keep in mind, that this program is very complex, probably far more than any game you've ever used before. With that said, there are many, many things that could cause this problem, and remember too we're not in the room with you looking over your shoulder observing the problem you are having. Without providing good details in the beginning, the results will be us going in circles, as is going on here, along with frustration on you part as well as ours.

The same also applies when submitting a ticket to the helpdesk. Give as many details as you can, what you did to cause the problem, and if possible can the problem be repeated. The latter part really helps the QA Team fix problems.

In no way was anyone here suggesting you didn't know what you were doing. When giving support, support is given at the lowest possible level first. Sometimes you may already know how to do things, however, we don't know that, therefore, you may receive information on how to do things you already have experience with. Support also means KISS. Keep it simply stupid, this isn't demeaning and it means keep things as simple as possible without overly complex steps.

With that said, I highly recommend deleting the session download and trying again. The process requires deleting a folder, running a database repair, then downloading/installing the package again. Since you did this through Steam, you can most likely uninstall the package from there. Once uninstalled, run a database repair in Content Manager. After the database repair is done, reinstall the package again.

The reason for doing this is there's a possibility that something didn't download properly and the data package is broken, and by reinstalling the session again, that may resolve the problem. There may also be another database issue, which will require an extended repair, but try this step first and if it does not resolve the issue, we will have you perform the EDR, or extended Database Repair.

In the end, it may mean bringing in the big guns, and if you so wish you may go there directly, therefore, I suggest you contact the Helpdesk. For your convenience, I have provided the link again.

http://support.trainzportal.com/

We're trying to be helpful here, but in order to help you successfully, you need to provide as much detail about the problem you have. Saying that something is broken, doesn't go very far, and neither does providing very little details for us to work with. Keep in mind, that this program is very complex, probably far more than any game you've ever used before. With that said, there are many, many things that could cause this problem, and remember too we're not in the room with you looking over your shoulder observing the problem you are having. Without providing good details in the beginning, the results will be us going in circles, as is going on here, along with frustration on you part as well as ours.

The same also applies when submitting a ticket to the helpdesk. Give as many details as you can, what you did to cause the problem, and if possible can the problem be repeated. The latter part really helps the QA Team fix problems.

In no way was anyone here suggesting you didn't know what you were doing. When giving support, support is given at the lowest possible level first. Sometimes you may already know how to do things, however, we don't know that, therefore, you may receive information on how to do things you already have experience with. Support also means KISS. Keep it simply stupid, this isn't demeaning and it means keep things as simple as possible without overly complex steps.

With that said, I highly recommend deleting the session download and trying again. The process requires deleting a folder, running a database repair, then downloading/installing the package again. Since you did this through Steam, you can most likely uninstall the package from there. Once uninstalled, run a database repair in Content Manager. After the database repair is done, reinstall the package again.

The reason for doing this is there's a possibility that something didn't download properly and the data package is broken, and by reinstalling the session again, that may resolve the problem. There may also be another database issue, which will require an extended repair, but try this step first and if it does not resolve the issue, we will have you perform the EDR, or extended Database Repair.

In the end, it may mean bringing in the big guns, and if you so wish you may go there directly, therefore, I suggest you contact the Helpdesk. For your convenience, I have provided the link again.

http://support.trainzportal.com/

In earlier posts I stated according to the content manager, the problem was a unknown dependency and posted the kuid# for it. I then stated that said dependency was a Texaco 3 dome tank car and someone else had found this. I then said I had found and downloaded the dependency from a place called Trainz Forge.

So far, so good and more than enough info.

THEN after the install of the tank car the C&O coal run STILL was red, and when I looked for the errors the box was empty.

This is when I started getting spoken to like a moronic child by the people here. "How can it be in error?" "You are in the wrong spot!" And so on.

I have since found that the problem is the tank car itself. It has issues that do not allow it to work, and this is causing the session to not work.

I have seleted the entire program from steam and my computer and reloaded it and that has not solved the issue.

The help desk is very difficult to deal with and had hoped to avoid it if I could. I see that that will no longer be possible.

Oh and before you and anyone else think I am some noob. I have been playing since 2009, I just dont live on my computer playing this game. I had a massive amount of uploaded items and such, there is this thing called life and family that takes precedence at times and childish choo-choo trains have to be put away until the real world let's you play.

1) So you never said again what the problem is now with the tank car. You said it's broken, but never gave us the error. I have it installed and it works fine so I don't know what your problem is. If you told us what it is, we could give you a fix for it. The possibility could be anything from a missing dependency, to whatever, but we don't know.

2) Deleting and reinstalling the program won't fix a problem with an asset unless the program its self is borked.

3) How would we know you have used Trainz since TS2009? It doesn't show on your timeline, therefore we assume you are a new user. Again you are not telling us anything and assuming we know stuff we can't see.

I've been using Trainz since December 2003. I generally have utmost patience when dealing with users. I did after all retire from a technical support field, but I will say you have generally irritated me to no end with your attitude. Therefore, go talk to the helpdesk. I'm sure the other users here feel the same way.

THEN after the install of the tank car the C&O coal run STILL was red, and when I looked for the errors the box was empty.
Nowhere up to post #12 do you indicate that you are relying on the color of the asset in the listing to indicate an error. As you had previously used Content Manager to view the error, that you were now looking in the wrong place was a reasonable assumption.

I have since found that the problem is the tank car itself. It has issues that do not allow it to work, and this is causing the session to not work.
A faulty traincar will not cause a session to not work. You provide no information about how you came to the above conclusion. What exactly are the 'issues' with this traincar?

Oh and before you and anyone else think I am some noob. I have been playing since 2009.
Then you earlier versions of Trainz should be listed in your timeline, as it is currently misleading. Please contact the help desk to sort out your registrations.

Please answer the questions at #19.

Hi Empire_Builder
Could you please tell me if you have purchased and installed the C&O Hinton Division route installed (if it is installed, then you should see a number of other sessions for it in the Driver/Surveyor menu)?

The C&O New River Mining Coal Run session can only be used if you have purchased and installed this route.

For the Flying Scotsman 1920s session, this session will require that you have purchased and installed the ECML Kings Cross to Edinburgh route.

Regards

Hi Empire_Builder
Could you please tell me if you have purchased and installed the C&O Hinton Division route installed (if it is installed, then you should see a number of other sessions for it in the Driver/Surveyor menu)?

The C&O New River Mining Coal Run session can only be used if you have purchased and installed this route.

For the Flying Scotsman 1920s session, this session will require that you have purchased and installed the ECML Kings Cross to Edinburgh route.

Regards

I am having difficulty finding the kings cross route.

Just found it in my "library" but it is all modern stuff it looks like.

Last edited:
Just as an aside, with Steam you get a 2 hour "play" window to cancel a purchase and request a refund. However in the case of DLC that includes any time spent doing something else in the base game even, as in this case, having the program open to try and get something running.

There certainly seems to be a QA issue here though on behalf of both N3V and Steam, in that a DLC purchase should be complete and install seamlessly from the purchaser's point of view.

Back