Questions about AMD upgrade from Ryzen 7 and Vega

d0g

Hello all,

I have been considering upgrading my current video card and CPU, and was looking for some input. While most games, including TANE, seem to run fairly well most of the time, I am still finding that frame rates can get to as low as about 15 FPS in some areas of routes with water reflections and shadows enabled, and there is still some choppiness/microstutter at times even when frame rates are at 60 FPS or better. I can't set V-sync to half because it causes quite a large stutter every 2 seconds or so, even on a 1-blank baseboard route. I have draw distance set to 6000 meters, and most other sliders set to either high or ultra.

My current specs are below:

AMD RX Vega 56 GPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU
16 GB RAM

I haven't overclocked or otherwise modified either the CPU or GPU from stock settings.

I have been looking at a Radeon RX 5700XT graphics card and a Ryzen 9 3900X processor. Would this upgrade likely yield any significant performance increase from what I already have?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have been considering upgrading my current video card and CPU, and was looking for some input. While most games, including TANE, seem to run fairly well most of the time, I am still finding that frame rates can get to as low as about 15 FPS in some areas of routes with water reflections and shadows enabled, and there is still some choppiness/microstutter at times even when frame rates are at 60 FPS or better. I can't set V-sync to half because it causes quite a large stutter every 2 seconds or so, even on a 1-blank baseboard route. I have draw distance set to 6000 meters, and most other sliders set to either high or ultra.

My current specs are below:

AMD RX Vega 56 GPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x CPU
16 GB RAM

I haven't overclocked or otherwise modified either the CPU or GPU from stock settings.

I have been looking at a Radeon RX 5700XT graphics card and a Ryzen 9 3900X processor. Would this upgrade likely yield any significant performance increase from what I already have?

Thank you.

if you are considering 2019 at any time, best get a nvidia card to take advantage of the full set of features such as Turf FX. As I'm on Mac, I have to use AMD but can report that I have a sapphire nitro rx580 with 8gb on my elderly mac pro which uses 10 year old xeon processors and have no stuttering in TANE on high settings. I'm presuming your vega has 8gb vram? in general vram is one of the best performance boosters, but performance can vary from game to game.

When it comes to TRS19 and T:ANE, the best-bang-for-buck upgrades come from GPU upgrades.
Your AMD Ryzen 2700X CPU is more than capable of driving a higher performing graphics card.
So swap out your Vega 56 for something that really flies, like a RTX 2070 Super, or the like.
(Or wait a few months for the new 7nm nVidia Ampere cards, for a truly significant boost!)

My number 2 PC which works well with TRS19 is a Ryzen 5 1600 with a GTX980TI, so your Ryzen 7 is more than capable with a decent GPU. Nvidia cards work well with Ryzens, you do not have to restrict yourself to AMD GPUs.

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at 2070 and 2080's, both supers. From what I can find, the 2080 seems to run about $150-200 more expensive than the 2070. Does the 2080 have much improvement over the 2070, in terms of TANE and similar programs running at 1080p?

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at 2070 and 2080's, both supers. From what I can find, the 2080 seems to run about $150-200 more expensive than the 2070. Does the 2080 have much improvement over the 2070, in terms of TANE and similar programs running at 1080p?

Compare the G3D score here.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Most are happy with RTX 2070 cards but the 2080 does give a slightly higher frames per second and can handle more assets on the screen.

Cheerio John

Compare the G3D score here.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Most are happy with RTX 2070 cards but the 2080 does give a slightly higher frames per second and can handle more assets on the screen.

Cheerio John

THE OP is referring to the Super versions the 2070 Super is depending on who's benchmarks you look at close to a 2080 non super or better in in some Benchmarks https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+RTX+2070+SUPER&id=4116 has the same 8GB of GDDR6 as the 2080.

Although I do not use AMD I rely on the Windows10 Task Manager for data info. In my case I have a 1060 nVidia video card with an old Intel 2500K clocked to 4.2ghz. Here the Task Manager clearly shows that the CPU is the bottleneck. This is a rational measure. I can't run with all slider at max. But I have run this CPU for many years (overclocked) and have placed myself into a "time to pay the piper" moment.

My point is not to lament my "end-of-life PC" but to suggest the task manager as a guide before any purchase.

Back