trainz routes collection 1-4 question

agathosdaimon

Hi
i hope this doesnt get moved to some other subforum as i dont know which other one it would come under as it relates to a few trainz games

i have the routes collection 1-4 for trainz 2006 but i would like to install them into in trainz 2009 or 2010 or 12 - whicheer will work.

I cant install them into my version of trainz 2006 as the version i am using is the German Protrain Perfect edition (an excellent version of trainz that seems to me to be far better than just trainz 2006 on its own) - the textures used between the german and us games are not exactly the same and cause the maps to get all screwed up with missing textures

i tried just selecting trainz2009 as the install path for the routes collection vol 1 but it didnt accept the path as valid

i was able to get the files actually from the routes collection for the 4 collections there a 4 .JA files - how can i import .ja files into trainz, it doesnt appear possible in CM

i was able to get the files actually from the routes collection for the 4 collections there a 4 .JA files - how can i import .ja files into trainz, it doesnt appear possible in CM

1) Copy the JA files from your CD to a folder on your desktop.

2) Open that folder.

3) Rename the .JA files to something like Collection-1.ja, Collection-2.ja, etc.,

The reason for this is to ensure nothing overwrites stuff in your TS2010 folder.

4) Copy those files by highlighting and pressing CTRL+C at the same time.

5) Open up the folder where TRS2010 is installed.

6) Look for other .JA files.

7) Paste in the same location.

Now I'm not sure if you need to add in a serial number (CD-KEY). If you do, you need to add that in Trainz under the settings.

8) You might need to run a DBR. I can't remember or not it's been awhile since I did something like that.

Okay thanks guys, the files from the routes collection don't seem to names resembling anything in the Trainz foldersinany case .
There is no serial number for them they just come on one of the DVDs in the Trainz complete collection - they were not built-in routes for any trainz games, but separate addons, bundled up collections of user made routes

Your suggestion sounds like it should work so I will give it a go

well i just tried to do this for Trainz 12, and it didnt work - i put the ja files in where the built ins are and ran an extended db repair and started the game and there is nothing extra added in the routes section nor anything if i deselect the favorites star, perhaps they dont work with importing into 12 as ja files

Apparently the manual install didn't work. Did you check content manager for faulty assets? If they are faulty, they won't show up. This doesn't count missing dependencies.

When you tried installing the routes using the setup program, did you do that as administrator? Not running the setup as administrator can cause things not to install properly.

Another thought. Install them into TRS2007. (ProTrainz Perfect version). Then in CMP, save the route as a CDP. It doesn't matter if the textures are incorrect in PTP because the textures are referred to by KUID and not actually on the route. What you are doing here is using PTP to extract the route into another format so you can then export it out again for your use in TS12.

I've actually done this to get routes from one version to another. I took a couple of routes I created in TRS2004 and TRS2006 and brought them into TS12 to save out for import into T:ANE where I laughed loudly at my very poor track laying that I thought was so awesome back then.

Just some thoughts on this. I've never purchased this product so I don't recall how it installs.

i can install them in to Protrain Perfect - tell me is Protrain Perfect the same as Trainz 2007 (i have gotten a dvd for trains 2007 also a german version) though when i install Ptp it says it is trainz 2006 and it wont let me also install trainz 2006 in any other version at the same time - i assume it only has the one registry entry so multiple installs of it are not possible.

what i am afraid of is that the routes might overwrite or damage the textures in protrain perfect that are existing there - you dont think this will happen?

i say this because when i installed protrain perfect addons into Trainz 2006 (the version in the complete collection) then all the maps ended up having missing textures in them, not just the protrain perfect ones

okay i have just installed the 2 of the routes collections into ptp and so far at least the built in content seems preserve as well as the added routes - those routes from the colleciton 1-4 are really really excellent

i can install them in to Protrain Perfect - tell me is Protrain Perfect the same as Trainz 2007 (i have gotten a dvd for trains 2007 also a german version) though when i install Ptp it says it is trainz 2006 and it wont let me also install trainz 2006 in any other version at the same time - i assume it only has the one registry entry so multiple installs of it are not possible.

what i am afraid of is that the routes might overwrite or damage the textures in protrain perfect that are existing there - you dont think this will happen?

i say this because when i installed protrain perfect addons into Trainz 2006 (the version in the complete collection) then all the maps ended up having missing textures in them, not just the protrain perfect ones

okay i have just installed the 2 of the routes collections into ptp and so far at least the built in content seems preserve as well as the added routes - those routes from the colleciton 1-4 are really really excellent

PTP is a custom version of TRS2006. TRS2007 is the German version of TRS2006. There was some reason for doing it that way way back when. It may have had to do with licensing, or I think there was some kind of required copy protection or something with this version.

You should be able to put as many copies of Trainz on your system. When you install TRS2007, for example, which is also TRS2006, you can put that into a different directory (folder) such as D:\TRS2007. You may have to use your CD-ROM to run it, but that should work.

The routes shouldn't overwrite anything that's built-in. What you see with PTP is possible if they used their own custom content and textures in their version. This will cause their routes to end up with missing textures and content should they be installed in a non-PTP Trainz version. Makes sense here?

Once the collection routes are installed, export them as CDP files and then bring them into TS12. You can then check Content Manager and most likely download any missing content from the DLS.

thanks John, i will give that a try, though i am not familiar with hte process of turn things into cdps in that how one captures all the necessary parts - if i just select the route in the CM will that then include all its dependencies?

An early version of my Weddin route was included on those disks (cover feature on Volume 3). I was not consulted about it's inclusion, and it appears to be an early Beta version I circulated for testing. If you want to install Weddin in TRS2006 I suggest you download the V2 version from the DLS. That version has had over 15000 downloads, and is endorsed by the author (me). It is much improved over the version on the collection disks.

Better still, download V3 for TANE, or V4 for TRS2019 (V4.1 coming soon). With TRS2019's implementation of TurfFX Weddin is getting very close to my original vision for it.

Last edited:
oh great thanks - i didnt know that was authorised sorry, - i like the weddinNSW route so i will get that one for TANE then now - its a good australian looking route and i am always after good australian content for trainz and trainz seems to be the only train sim that offers this content (shame on DTG for continuing to ignore Australia and NZ)

To create a CDP:

Right-click on the route:

Choose either send or create CDP. (I can't remember!). Anyway look for CDP in there...

Do the same for any sessions as well.

No the CDP does not contain any dependencies. It is only the route, session, or other assets you have selected.

Bringing in built-in individual assets will be an issue. You'll need to obtain additional tools to repair those assets so I recommend checking the DLS first and then go for the leftover missing dependencies afterwards.

oh great thanks - i didnt know that was authorised sorry, - i like the weddinNSW route so i will get that one for TANE then now - its a good australian looking route and i am always after good australian content for trainz and trainz seems to be the only train sim that offers this content (shame on DTG for continuing to ignore Australia and NZ)

If you have T:ANE and like Australian routes take a look at the Blue Mountains Line v2 route <KUID:708819:100231> You might just like it.
Cheers,
Val

If you have T:ANE and like Australian routes take a look at the Blue Mountains Line v2 route <KUID:708819:100231> You might just like it.
Cheers,
Val

i will do, i just went in a got a heap of aussie stuff for TANE today - there is actually alot of stuff and like was mentioned elsewhere the older 2006 stuff even looks like it is compatilble.

i will get the blue mountain route for sure and i got the weddinNSW 3.0 for TANE. I really liked the PGibbons stuff -southlines sets also, coming from Junee myself seeing the Roundhouse which i visited many times as a kid and my dad used to work directing the trains there when it was operating (actually i think it is still operating just as a smaller private repair business)

on another note - JCitron, you actually were right with the JA files in that i put them in Trainz 2009 again and ran trainz2009 and they are there, i missed it before because hte routes are all in the surveyor section and not in the driver section.

i will do, i just went in a got a heap of aussie stuff for TANE today - there is actually alot of stuff and like was mentioned elsewhere the older 2006 stuff even looks like it is compatilble.

i will get the blue mountain route for sure and i got the weddinNSW 3.0 for TANE. I really liked the PGibbons stuff -southlines sets also, coming from Junee myself seeing the Roundhouse which i visited many times as a kid and my dad used to work directing the trains there when it was operating (actually i think it is still operating just as a smaller private repair business

Weddin, Southlines, and most of Peter's routes can be merged into 'mega-route', which is a bit of fun :). There are some instructions somewhere on the forum (I think put together by Peter).

Crossing from one route to another is a bit like crossing state boundaries. You know your in the same country, it's all vaguely familiar. But at the same time, everything looks just a bit different. :)

Last edited:
interesting i havent fit any routes together so far - i was just in tane editing the Junee 2006 map a little just to add some more resemblance to Junee, - PGibbon had put in some megamansion as a representation of Monte Cristo, i found something in the objects more fitting and added some more elevation around junee as sits on and between to hill lines roughly. That being said, PGibbon did a fantastic job with it and it is big, - i think it goes all the way to bethungra , will have fun running an XPT service through it or an 81 Class pac nat consist

i will get the blue mountain route for sure and i got the weddinNSW 3.0 for TANE. I really liked the PGibbons stuff -southlines sets also, coming from Junee myself seeing the Roundhouse which i visited many times as a kid and my dad used to work directing the trains there when it was operating (actually i think it is still operating just as a smaller private repair business)

on another note - JCitron, you actually were right with the JA files in that i put them in Trainz 2009 again and ran trainz2009 and they are there, i missed it before because hte routes are all in the surveyor section and not in the driver section.

One thing worth mentioning on the Blue Mountains route is that the Opera House you will find is missing. Basically the creator of that asset has requested it NOT be made public, so I had to comply. Not having it does not hinder the running of the route and suggest you place another building to your choice on the harbour.

Back