How to use Helper Engines?

I'm relatively new to TRS2019 and am starting work on my PRR Central Division Route. I will be using helpers frequently on this route and was wondering if someone could enlighten me on how to get the lead locos and helpers to work together from one cab instead of having to drive them seperately, which is the only way I am able to use them now.

Thanks in advance!

I'm relatively new to TRS2019 and am starting work on my PRR Central Division Route. I will be using helpers frequently on this route and was wondering if someone could enlighten me on how to get the lead locos and helpers to work together from one cab instead of having to drive them seperately, which is the only way I am able to use them now.

Thanks in advance!

This might be of help......;)

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/archive/index.php/t-48693.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vu5jO-E-60

If you run driver in DCC mode the game considers only 1 train throttle that controls the train. So no problem controlling multiple locos

If you run in cab or realistic mode then it depends on the type of loco supplying motive power. Diesels and electrics are all mu'd automatically. Whether you control them only thru the foremost loco or in the cab of any loco "that has the camera focus" in the consist I'm not sure - I don't drive diesels often enough to remember. Steam locos have to be controlled individually. Each loco has to be selected to have the focus and then you can operate the controls.

There's a recent discussion of this here.

Bob Pearson

Thanks guys

Having to run steam helpers separately is kinda annoying but also realistic and kinda cool. It will make operations more interesting for sure.

If your are trying to set up a self driving helper which pushes a train and then returns, download from the DLS "Example Helper / Pusher Engine Route" and "Example Helper / Pusher Engine Session.

Just curious about this: If I couple a second loco to a consist, somehow one of the locos loses the menu of things you can do on AI. For example, a consist is running under AI. Arrives to a station prior to a grade and you couple the helper. And the first loco loses all the commands that were stored, and the menu is the very reduced basic one. Only then solution is to erase this loco and insert a similar new one, but if you couple again the helper, the same thing happens. Why? Long ago it was not like this.

If you download and run the route/session above, you will see how to save/run to helped trains original destination. It gets complicated. Driver commands, triggers, signals, and other.

If your are trying to set up a self driving helper which pushes a train and then returns, download from the DLS "Example Helper / Pusher Engine Route" and "Example Helper / Pusher Engine Session.
I get the following missing content after dl'ing in TRS19 NA regional TB 100240: unknown <kuid2:60238:37039:2>

In the session I also get: unknown <kuid2:104181:1008:3>

Any help? [EDIT] both are built-in for TANE SP3 but unknown for TRS19. I've got them but can't import them from TANE - sad. Maybe someday they'll get it all sorted out.

However looking at the included readme I'm guessing that this route/session is designed to work only with diesels which don't present any problems in controlling multiple locos in the same train. one throttle controls them all. Steam locos in Trainz work differently as stated above. [EDIT] I suspect the session is designed to show how an AI controlled helper is added and then drops off but I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet.

I've run a session for the payware route Coal Country that has a helper couple on to a user controlled train. Both locos are steam powered and the helper supplies no power to the train unless you jump in the cab and set the controls. With diesels you don't have to do that - it matches the control setting of the user's loco. That session is available from K&L Trainz for free but uses Steve's payware PRR 2-10-0's and PRR hoppers and caboose.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Just curious about this: If I couple a second loco to a consist, somehow one of the locos loses the menu of things you can do on AI. For example, a consist is running under AI. Arrives to a station prior to a grade and you couple the helper. And the first loco loses all the commands that were stored, and the menu is the very reduced basic one. Only then solution is to erase this loco and insert a similar new one, but if you couple again the helper, the same thing happens. Why? Long ago it was not like this.

This sounds like a problem the 'Schedule Library' could help with, I'll try to engage brain :)
1. Ai gets schedule
2. Helper attaches, takes over control.
3. Helper releases.
4. Ai receives modified schedule.

This sounds like a problem the 'Schedule Library' could help with, I'll try to engage brain :)
1. Ai gets schedule
2. Helper attaches, takes over control.
3. Helper releases.
4. Ai receives modified schedule.
In theory you are right. But when AI resumes, it does not, and the list of things you can do or order to the loco, is reduced to a bear minimum, plus all the commands for that consist disappear. In sum, I can't couple two locos. This is also happening even if the locos are running isolated without AI control using DCC. Have'nt tried coupling 3 locos and see what happens...

I haven't checked out the helper/pusher route yet but as it is a stormy day and no golf I have made a session using the Schedule library in TRS19.
http://rog.pynguins.com/article/item/Trainz
Look for Helper.cdp. plus session.
Off to d/load the helper/pusher route....

Well I would call "Example Helper / Pusher Engine Route" the deluxe model, well done!

Last edited:
I have uploaded a new version of " Example Helper / Pusher Engine Route (& session)" which, hopefully, will have no issues with missing dependencies.

Back