Ethics of sharing PSD or Targa reskin files

Thai1On

Slave to my route
I have a question on sharing PSD or Targa files of rolling stock reskins? Is it ethical to share ONLY the reskin file? My thoughts are that the file is worthless the original model.

It is not my intention to start a flame war just a simple question.

Dave

I have a question on sharing PSD or Targa files of rolling stock reskins? Is it ethical to share ONLY the reskin file? My thoughts are that the file is worthless the original model.

It is not my intention to start a flame war just a simple question.

Dave

I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing those as long as you have permission to do so. They are not worthless because they contain the UV mapping and other things that are required to place the textures on the models. Keeping the UV mapping the same, means the textures can be replaced rather easily as I've done that myself for simple models that are laid out that way.

A PSD or TGA image that is an original work created to be used with a model is subject to exactly the same copyright protections as any other original work. How useful the image might be without the model is not relevant.

Somehow I think you have the wrong end of the stick here. I think what Thai1on means is if you reskin a vehicle, or anything else for that matter, for your own use, can you share the psd or tga files you have made with someone else. This means you don't share the item as such just the files you have made or altered.

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
Somehow I think you have the wrong end of the stick here. I think what Thai1on means is if you reskin a vehicle, or anything else for that matter, for your own use, can you share the psd or tga files you have made with someone else. This means you don't share the item as such just the files you have made or altered.

Cheers,
Bill69

and I would say yes. As long as the recipient has to copy in the files themselves to create a reskin for their own work. Having said that if any texture remains from the original then no, copyright kicks in.

Cheerio John

The comments provided to OP are correct and relevant. The question of sharing the image files depends on whether or not the person doing the sharing has permisssion to do so. The point about them being not worth much without the original model doesn't come into consideration. It is up to OP to determine whether or not they have permission. Replacement textures could likely qualify as an original creation that the reskinner can distribute as their own work. But a complex UV mapped image that has only limited changes applied from the original might not qualify as an original work and might be subject to whatever permissions the original creator has granted. The point is that the ordinary rules apply, and usefulness is not relevant.

Hi John,

I think I would say NO. The reason is that you would have to use the original mapping to make the new files. To get an item to look right after reskinning it has to have the original color map redone. A completely new color map would not be possible without the original mesh.

Cheers,
Bill69

Two or more parties deem it ethical to share texture files regardless of the legality defined in the copyright and do so freely. Nobody is wise to their possible illegal conduct. Everyone sleeps well at night, except for one person.

The question is, are you sleeping well at night?

Hi John,

I think I would say NO. The reason is that you would have to use the original mapping to make the new files. To get an item to look right after reskinning it has to have the original color map redone. A completely new color map would not be possible without the original mesh.

Cheers,
Bill69

As someone who has created 3d models, and reskinned other's models, I can say for fact, that your information is completely false.

All of the "mapping" of a texture is coded into the 3D model, not the color map, or image file.

It is 100% possible to create a 100% original Texture map for ANY Trainz .im file .. Easy, NO .. Worth the effort, NO .. Possible, YES.
-The only constraint is the image must be the same ratio as the original image file; ie 1 to 1 or 2 to 1; eg 1024 x 1024 or 256 x 512, etc.

Think of the image as a grid, and the .im file as the Legend to the grid. As long as you paint your grid in the right place, the grid will still overlay the model in the right place.

As for the Ethical side, and the OP's original question, I personally see no issue with sharing the Texture files or the Config files for reskinned content (see note at end) .. the config is a simple text document, which is based on Auran/N3V file structure, so essentially, Auran/N3V have ultimate rights to every config file, no matter who writes it or edits it.... None of these files constitute a "complete" or use-able piece of content without the .im/.pm files ...The .im/.pm files are what are primarily protected by Copyright law, along with the original texture files.

NOTE* Most times, a re-skinned Diesel Loco, for example, does not utilize a 100% altered or new texture/image file. Usually the underframe bits and light/glass bits, and even the "weathering" bits are in-fact, from the original Creator, and in-fact, protected by Copyright law, regardless of your alterations, or derivitive works. That said, I stand by my position BECAUSE the recipiant of the "reskinned texture files" MUST already have in their possesion the .im files, original texture files, and original Config files from the original content package, to make any use of the new skins anyway. If done with layers, one could possibly share ONLY the altered/new-original PORTIONS of a texture map, and have the recipiant add and merge the new layer over their copy of the original texture.

I am horrible at repainting so my "repaints" consist of altering the original lettering and possibly darkening or lightening the original image files. Because I'm only altering the original image files without actually repainting them I don't share the image files. That said I'd say that the best way to ensure you are not infringing on someone's protected files is to simply ask them for permission to share the image files. Pointing out that in order to use the files one has to own the original asset which might result in more sales can't hurt. :D
An alternative might be to ask if they would host the skins.

Last edited:
I think I would say NO. The reason is that you would have to use the original mapping to make the new files.
I have many times created a completely new color map from scratch. It is the only way to do it when the original images are encrypted, as with built-in and payware items. It's not difficult, but can get tedious.

Even if OP used the mapping derived from the original image it might qualify as a new original work. You could not make the call without the exact details.

Back