Why is TS19 so dark, low angle early morning ?

One has to look at the region for the route also that the correct period is set, ie., day, month, year, not forgetting the start time of the session.

At Noon my South side shots are very well lit, while the North side shots have darker obtrusive shadows. I changed my World Origin settings to be 0.00 longitude, 0.00 latitude, (fictional: Null Island off the African Ivory Coast) and both sides of my train are very well lit.

I keep mine as is. July 6th, in New England.

I think a big part of it is that after many years of everyone using bright, low contrast, default lighting, a lot of people are now experimenting with the environment settings in routes/sessions.

We tend to not notice the ones that look like a normal clear day, as although greater in contrast they still look like a fairly normal 'brightly lit' scene (which is correct, if you want a nice normal clear day :) ).

But we do notice the darker, often much contrastier, as they aren't what we're as used to. But often these represent overcast or semi-overcast days. Personally I've taken a lot of pleasure lately in playing with dreary wet days, as these can offer some nice looks to the shots, especially with steam locos. But of course it's quite possible to overdo this, and to a large degree this will depend on the screens of both the person taking the screenshot and the viewer. Contrast can be one of the biggest variations between screens, even the two screens on my system show a massive difference in brightness/contrast, and so on a 'low contrast' screen, the scene will look good. But take a screenshot and then put it on a more normal/accurate contrast screen, and it could look overdone.

Regards

As is the case with photography, you may get a lot of clear detail at 12 noon, but you don't get interesting images because the light is so flat. The early light and dusk/ sunset give much more interesting lighting conditions

Back