Too Much Bobbing

dwn2884

Hi everybody, me again, I have two questions this time: a) Is there any way to apply track conditions to every spline in the route without having to go to each individual spline (in TANE)? and b) If not, is there a way to disable cab/car sway in non-JR consists?

For context: The track on the route I just downloaded (Electro Island V4.0 SP2 for reference, btw great job pagroove!) is all set at the default condition (50%) and the 200mph+ bullet trains sway way too much because of the track condition. Was just wondering what I could do to mitigate the problem without having to spend hours going through each individual spline.

Hi Dwn2884
The train motion is a combination of the track condition, and the train motion settings in the traincar assets.

At the current time, there are a few options, but not all are overly easy (or will work in every case).

For the route itself, the best option, but most time consuming, would be to use the 'track condition' tool in the advanced section of the track tab to set the track condition appropriately.

The alternative is to either replace the track assets with track assets that set the default track condition higher, or to edit the track assets and add the following tag track-condition 1.0 (this will set the track condition to 100%, unless you manually override it in Surveyor).

However for very high speed trains, the default suspension settings will also be incorrect. To correct this, you will need to add the following tags to the traincar config files:

suspension-damping 0.3

suspension-stiffness 0.75

suspension-pitch-limit 1.0

suspension-roll-limit 5

The values shown above are the default values; you will need to adjust these to suit. You can find details on what each tag does here: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/KIND_Traincar#suspension-damping

Regards

If you edit the track asset, or modify each individual track spline by hand, and if you give your route to someone else, does the track condition revert back to default, bobbing ?

If you edit the track asset

Yes this will revert back to the 50% default, as the default value will now be 50% rather than the new 'default' specified by the track asset.

modify each individual track spline by hand
No, as you have now specified a new value for that length of spline in Surveyor, and this value is then saved to the route or session.

Regards

Zec, is there any intention to implement the ability to set the default condition globally at some future point? Having to do every single spline length is an inconvenience at best, even worse if you forget to do it as you go. 90% would be a far more realistic starting point surely? Yes, I could alter the track asset config but this isn't going to help if I upload a route. While cab sway should be nice, adding a bit of additional realism, the level it gets to at higher speeds is such that any normal train would derail. Having to go into each and every bit of rolling stock to amend the config is far from ideal.

Cheers,
Innis

I agree, Innis.

It's truly painful downgrading track for a clunky old branch line.

I modified some track for that purpose by cloning what I liked and adding in the following tag in the config.txt.

track-condition xxxx

track-condition 0.20

Since the number is percentage, this is now 20% or getting rougher. I have track that's 0.05 or 5% and i use that for old sidings and really, really bad lines. It's interesting watching the freight wagons and locomotives bob along the really bad track. I'm not sure if it derails, but it sure looks like it's ready to.

The opposite is possible as well by setting the track-condition tag to 0.90, which is 90%

I'm fairly sure there is a feature request in for it, but I don't know when it might be looked into unfortunately.

Regards

Back