BR 79xxx Derby Lightweight information.

robd

Anybody wishing to construct a early BR DMU - Derby Lightweight, plenty of info including drawings with dimensions here:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/red-triangle-derby-lightweight/official

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/derby-lightweight/single-cars

Allow me to apologize for the fact that I wouldn't know where to begin with such a project.

I'm not a great fan of DMU's or EMU's but this DMU is iconic in the fact that it was the first of a long line of British Railways DMU's but is totally absent in Trainz as far as I know.

Rob.

First of a long line they may have been, but they had a lifespan of only around 10 years, worked in a very specific area and were withdrawn well before the end of steam.

I'd suggest that an updated/new Class 101 or a Class 108 (not seen in Trainz so far) would be of much greater use. Both classes were numerous, spanned the steam, diesel and privatisation eras, could be found virtually anywhere and can still be seen on preserved lines today.

Or a Class 120 Cross Country, common on the Western, LM and Scottish regions. In concept, the heritage equivalent of the Class 158 being designed as comfortable trains for medium to long distance journeys. Had a legendary rasping exhaust on pullaway, too!

I'm not sure how one would quantify usefulness in Trainz models, there must be lots of useful and useless assets in Trainz! I mean, one person's useful is another person's useless.

I daresay there's room for all the classes mentioned above in Trainz but, one never knows, someone may take up the reigns and enjoy modelling the Derby Lightweight, one thing's for sure, whoever it might be will find the links very useful!

To get back on topic here they are again:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/red-triangle-derby-lightweight/official

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/derby-lightweight/single-cars

Rob.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how one would quantify usefulness in Trainz models,

Fairly easily IMHO (assuming Trainz users are typical of railway modellers) as piece of rolling stock commonly seen over a large part of the network for forty years is generally going to be useful to more modellers than one that ran in a specific area for a few years.

The drawings you have linked to are from the BR diagrams books and readily available. They were only intended as a sketch to hang the dimensions on, so they are barely to scale, often the wrong shape (especially in respect of body profile) and missing a lot of crucial detail.

If anyone should ever consider building any 1st generation DMUs, PDH have more detailed drawings available for all of them which I would happily pay for, but they still contain inaccuracies so it's clear that even he has struggled to find all the necessary information.

Good call on the 120 Vern - my vote would be for that or a Class 103 Park Royal unit (more niche than the Derby Lightweight, but the best looking of the lot IMHO and unique in their use of the Stanier body profile) as both were used on the Minehead branch.

Maybe define a useful asset as one that is actually in Trains as opposed to an asset that exists somewhere else other than in Trainz thus not being so useful - IMHO of course!

I'm sure many would like to see a Derby Lightweight in Trainz.

Rob.

Maybe define a useful asset as one that is actually in Trains as opposed to an asset that exists somewhere else other than in Trainz thus not being so useful - IMHO of course!

I'm sure many would like to see a Derby Lightweight in Trainz.

Rob.

Subject came up a couple of years ago maybe further back, can't remember if it was on here or British Trainz so there was some interest.

I'll say it out loud - I'm willing to pay a gifted creator to create a Derby class 114 'heavyweight' DMU - the first thing I ever trainspotted at Cleethorpes in March 1975. I had them classed within the year. Anyone interested? Send me a PM!

Paul

Derby Lightweight:

hJZ0ZAG.jpg

Something I've been working on when I'm inclined to do so for a little while now, although lots more to do before it becomes really useful!

Rob.

Very interesting Rob. I have a lot of early LMR locos and coaches & etc so I'm sure I could find a pair of Derby Lightweights useful.

amroXay.jpg

I will probably be moving this topic to Freeware Items sometime in the foreseeable future!

Rob.

Their use seems to have been in the West Midlands, Scotland, South Wales and, of course, Eastern Region. There are many variations within the class, single cars and two, three and four-car sets, even one converted as a general manager's inspection vehicle.

The models will be welcomed by all DMU enthusuasts, of which (maybe surprisingly) I am one. Way back, I was able to buy at a very good price some of the Lima DMU models and spent many happy hours wielding a small saw chopping them into bits to make a number of variants, including a parcels car. One chassis and the ends had the complete body replaced with plasticard - not one of my favourite materials but ideal for this purpose. For many years now they have been stored in boxes on top of a wardrobe.

Thank you, Rob. I look forward to giving them a run.

Best wishes

Ray

Back