2010 Service packs

eddieprice1

I am just getting back to using Trainz after about an 8 year lapse. I have Trainz 2010 which I originally ran on a Windows 7 pc. I now have Windows 10. I have installed it and I then tried to update it with the service packs, but it doesn't seem to recognize the DirectX12 which is installed with Windows 10. It asks for version 9.0. I don't really want to uninstall version 12 - is there any way round this problem? It also came up with an error when I tried accessing Content. Does Trainz2010 run under Windows 10?

1) Welcome back!
2) if you can register your copy (or contact help desk to recall your original email login) it'll show in your profile & some members will be more inclined to assist.
3) I'm running a couple of games that need dx 9, even though my graphics card has dx12. If you have the original discs, you can install dx 9 alongside dx12 without problems

Colin

DX9C must be installed for all versions of Trainz up to and including TS12, install the Runtimes from Microsoft here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

It adds the missing bits to DX11 and 12.

For TRS2010 you may also have enable Direct Play in Control Panel >Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or Off >Legacy Components > Tick Direct Play.

Last edited:
Run as administrator too.

Right-click
properties
Choose Run as Admin.

Go into compatibility and set run as administrator - checkbox and this will ensure the option is valid all the time.

Exclude your TS2010 folder from real time antivirus scanning.
Exclude Trainz.exe from real time antivirus scanning.

If you remember your username, contact the helpdesk for assistance in getting things reset. This can affect how you access your old content.

Better to invest in one of the later versions. TS2010 has all sorts of issues running on modern hardware/operating systems not least how many of the textures display, whether in Surveyor or Driver. TANE can be picked up for GBP £15 on Steam and is still a good worthwhile version.

Thanks everyone. I have now managed to download and install DirectX9 and have managed to install the service packs for 2010 from 42203 to 44088. I think that is as far as I can go. I think I will wait awhile before upgrading, and get back into using Trainz.

Thanks again
Eddie Price

There is also two patches beyond that, 44093, and 44099 (the later also called the 'Multiplayer patch'), which is the highest patch number released for TS 2010. From what I understand you can only choose one or the other, with 44099 completely optional though, as it mainly adds Multiplayer mode to it (that came standard with later versions of Trainz), as well as fixing that annoying blow-off bug 2010 has with steam locomotives (where blow-off is unrealistically frequent and the sound effect is far too loud), at the expense of removing TS 2010's Compatability Mode (that allows old Legacy content that has errors or issues to work with 2010 without fixing the errors manually. Not all content showing errors or warnings will load even with Compatability Mode, but it was amazing just how much old broken content does actually work with this mode set on, so it's removal from the program is something I could not abide by (as I have a lot of Legacy content), so I gave that patch a miss).

Hence, it's entirelly up to you if you install it. 44093 therefore is the last 'critical' patch for TS2010. 44099 is an optional one.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it's related, but have any of you had issues when installing from a disc copy, with an error like Cyclic Redundancy Check? I've gotten that everytime I've attempted an install of 2010 and I cannot figure out why.

On another note, compatibility mode was my favorite part of 2010. It was so nice to have content with texture errors working.

I have heard that if you copy all the stuff on the disc, to your PC, then install from the files from your PC copied files, possibly the DVD reader, or the disc, is at fault ?

CRC errors can be due to a corrupt DVD / CD, Dirty needs cleaning DVD / CD, old DVD or CD not readable properly on newer DVD drives, I keep an old IDE DVD drive for old disks.

MP242, that would make sense. however, I've never altered the CD contents.
CRC errors can be due to a corrupt DVD / CD, Dirty needs cleaning DVD / CD, old DVD or CD not readable properly on newer DVD drives, I keep an old IDE DVD drive for old disks.
The disk has been scratched a bit because it was not stored properly. I've attempted cleaning it but I've only gotten marginal results.
Edit: if I were to copy the disc contents onto my PC and install them from there instead of the disc, would that work?
Edit 2: Well that failed :hehe:

Last edited:
Back