Kentucky & Milwaukee - Avery Drexel Steams engines.

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
Not sure if this is best place to ask, but here goes.

For a dumb non American, what are suitable steam engines which are on the DLS for these two routes? I've made sessions for the East Kentucky route using diesels, and the same for the Milwaukee Route. Now I'd like to do steam versions but I'm having trouble identifying suitable candidates. I've gone through the DLS but given how huge it is, it's hard to separate steam engines from none steam, and back in the steam era company names were different, being often before some major mergers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but bear in mind it would be better if they were already on the DLS so when I upload the session people won't find the loco missing. Thanks again, in advance. :)

Last edited:
Oddly, so far as I can tell, we have more MILW electric engines than we have steam. Shebashetan7's F5 and K&L's S3 are all I know of not counting the streamliners. In streamliners we have the F7 with and without Mars by alex23 and K&L's A Class.

As for Eastern Kentucky,

Classic Railroads That Served Kentucky

Southern Railway
Louisville & Nashville
Illinois Central
Chesapeake & Ohio
Gulf, Mobile & Ohio
Monon Railroad
St. Louis-San Francisco Railway (Frisco)
Clinchfield Railroad
Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis

The Louisville & Nashville ran the first train into Hazard, KY in June of 1912. :D There are a fair number of L&N steamers on the DLS. All are rather old but leeferr's Big Emmas have been updated and are very nice, that's what I use to haul coal there.

Last edited:
The Milwaukee Road did not use steam over the Avery-Drexel line after electrification in 1915, so the shrouded Hudsons are inappropriate. If used be sure to give them an electric helper. In Avery and west you might well find unshrouded 4-8-4s, 2-8-2s, perhaps a 2-8-0 in earlier years. You could correctly assign an 0-6-0 with tender to the Avery yard, if you like, though for the time period of Tume's route a Fairbanks-Morse diesel switcher would be more correct.

The Northern Pacific is a different story. I don't have details but you would not be far wrong to use most any available USRA steam over Lookout Pass.

:B~)

Back