Common Whistle/Horn Problem

dwn2884

Hi there everybody,

I'm sure this question has already been answered, but I'm new to this and have no idea where to look in the forums so I'll just get down to the gist of it - have any of you ever been holding down your whistle/horn in TANE and have it cut out on you for a moment? I notice this happens a lot with K&L Trainz content and a few others (probably the echo effect glitching or something).

If so, is there a way to fix it? I'm just about at my wits end with this and I'd immensely appreciate any feedback. I can provide my build number and whatnot (I'm not at the latest patch because my computer doesn't like me, and it may be something to do with that as well) if necessary. Thanks!

Hi there everybody,

I'm sure this question has already been answered, but I'm new to this and have no idea where to look in the forums so I'll just get down to the gist of it - have any of you ever been holding down your whistle/horn in TANE and have it cut out on you for a moment? I notice this happens a lot with K&L Trainz content and a few others (probably the echo effect glitching or something).

If so, is there a way to fix it? I'm just about at my wits end with this and I'd immensely appreciate any feedback. I can provide my build number and whatnot (I'm not at the latest patch because my computer doesn't like me, and it may be something to do with that as well) if necessary. Thanks!

Hi dwn2884,

First welcome to the Trainz forums, I see you have very few posts.
As for your question,I have noticed this in some locos but have not tried to fix it. I think it would be caused by a short period of either silence or fade out at the end of the sound file as made by the author. It may be possible to truncate this bit with a program like Audacity, depending on whether the file is editable.
But As I said I have not tried this before, so it will be a bit of an experiment, Be sure to clone the complete loco and it's dependencies before you do anything to it. That way you can go back to the original if anything goes wrong.

Cheers,
Bill69

My experience seems to indicate that the interrupt in the whistle is due to how many other things are going on. So it is a processor/sound card issue so far as I can tell.

My experience seems to indicate that the interrupt in the whistle is due to how many other things are going on. So it is a processor/sound card issue so far as I can tell.

That's been my experience as well with horns, whistles, and engine sounds.

Thank you all for the advice! Now that I think about it, it is most likely a processor issue so I'll try to fix it if I can.

Hi All
There is a known issue with 3-part hornsounds (they will have the tag '3-part' set to '1' in the config.txt file) where the change from the 'start' file to the 'loop' file (or might have been the first time the loop repeats, I can't remember for sure) experiences a slight pause or skip.

Unfortunately we don't currently have a timeframe for when this may be resolved at this time.

Gaping in a 3 part horn sound can be rectified by making 'start.wav' at least 1.5 seconds long. I did this to fix the "Duchess" DLC(!) whistle by simply pasting one copy of the looping sound (idle1.wav) onto the end of start.wav

While I was at it, I also lowered the sample rate to 22khz and mixed them to MONO, which unless there has been a(n undocumented) change is the proper format for Trainz.

(I know this is an old post, but when googling about the issue I got this as a top result, so here is where I posted the fix)

Last edited:
Frogpipe thank you for that information, I too am not too learned on Sound Files and have also noticed my Locomotives sound very weird at times. :confused:

Another thing to add to my Bucket lists of things too fix in Trainz. ;)

Back