Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Durango to Silverton Colorado 1895

United States of America, Kansas, Parsons

Default Durango to Silverton Colorado 1895

I'm having a great time continuing to develop this route that was started in Trainz 2010. TRS19 offers up some fantastic capabilities for more realism as can be seen in the following screen shots. As stated in the title, the route time period has changed from the original, (Trainz 2012 version), of the 1920's to the mid 1890's. This change was made to enable the inclusion of a few silver mines and to see the Smelter in Durango in operation. In the route, the town of Durango was built up using Sanborn Maps from the mid 1890's. Accuracy was important but with limited assets it is difficult to capture the true era. Bridges are not correct, some buildings are certainly not from that time period either. Silverton proved to be even more difficult to model correctly although the Sanborn Maps were used there also.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Passenger train leaving Durango headed north to Silverton. Water treatment plant on right side above the train. Yup....water plant is shown on the Sanborn Maps for 1895.

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

The small town of Animas. The area people hoped this would be the location of the Rail Road operations.

[IMG][/IMG]

The small town of Hermosa also has a passenger depot.

[IMG][/IMG]

Rockwood was a popular "destination" spot for Durango adventurers. The famous "Highline" is just down the road.

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

Looks like it is going to be a great route.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    PCIe SSD operation (program and build)

Yes, very much looking forward to this.
    Dear Oklahoma,
    Thank you for sending us all your intelligent women.
    With Love,
    California.

Here are more screen shots. This route is pretty much done. I haven't uploaded to DLS yet because......

There are around 30 or so assets that are payware. Many more assets that are not on the DLS. I know that makes for problems with sharing but not using them also makes for problems with creating the route. Another problem is with the session I have created. The steam engines are on the DLS but don't work without modifications. I'm not sure but I believe I cannot upload the modded ones. Same goes for the rolling stock and commodities. There are several locos and rolling stock available but they are not period correct for the route.

So...what I did was create another Durango to Silverton 1910 with standard gauge track. I can hardly tell the difference....really. I purchased some steam engines from K&L and wow! They look great, sound great and work great. They are not period correct but it sure makes the sessions fun. And here I have the same problem with sharing. Payware assets for the route and the session.

Suggestions are certainly welcome. Enjoy the screenies.

[IMG][/IMG]

The "Highline". I'm not real proud of this area. Super tuff to model it correctly. Couldn't get the ledge small enough and the rock formations are meh.

[IMG][/IMG]

A very familiar bridge

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The bridge at Teft logging mill. They made RR ties there. It's not modeled correctly. The mill not the bridge.

[IMG][/IMG]

I just really, really like the TurfX in TRS19. It is scattered trackside for almost the entire 43 miles of the route. The thing I like a lot is how it can be made a realistic height. Grass as individual assets are sometimes taller than people and have to be sunk into the ground to look right.

My personal experience is that narrow gauge locos and rolling stock is a real challenge. I had to modify almost all of the ng assets to work, and do not mind doing so. So, I say go ahead and release and persons can try to learn to modify.

However, scenery assets that are not readily available do not fall into this category, in my opinion. Try to substitute if you can .

The ties on your rail are not prototype. They look like 2x8 lumber instead of ties.
    Last edited by pitkin; January 26th, 2020 at 12:59 PM.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti

@pitkin

I wanted the procedural track and Auran ng36 was right there. If you have another track I may consider swapping it out. Track swap usually means about two hours of adjustments.

The water tank isn't right either. There are many things that are not right. It's always a trade off. If I used only correct assets the route would be mostly empty. I used the water tank instead of the D&RG tank so the engine could refill. A personal choice.

Randall

I think that if you like PBR track, then you should go with it. Many of us have discussed the shortcomings, but is indeed your personal choice. I have never become obsessed over ties and tie plates myself.
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti

G][/IMG]

Downtown Silverton, Colorado

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Another shot of Silverton

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for looking.

Randall

United States of America, Texas, Dickinson

The route looks amazing. Thanks for the pictures. I've been to Colorado often and you have captured the look and feel of it so well!

Thank you heinrich

In the past you have released two versions of this route; a version that contains payware and a version that did not. I urge you to consider doing the same thing again.
    Dear Oklahoma,
    With Love,
    California.

I never could get that ledge corrected when I made my Highline version of the route, which I believe I did it all in TRS2006, while I didn't have to worry much about any payware content, what I did run into was the many trees I used, which were freeware, but were also no longer available!

United States of America, Illinois, Park Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by normhart View Post
    In the past you have released two versions of this route; a version that contains payware and a version that did not. I urge you to consider doing the same thing again.
    Randall,

I agree with Norm. When you released your first version I ended up buying the JVC trees that were needed for the payware version and I have never regretted it. If you already have a version that includes payware please release it. I hope that version contains narrow gauge track I don't think I can bring myself to run standard gauge engines on that route!

I love your original version and still run trains on it often. I am looking forward to this new version. The screenshots look great.

Thanks for your continued efforts.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Gman347 View Post
    Randall,

I agree with Norm. When you released your first version I ended up buying the JVC trees that were needed for the payware version and I have never regretted it. If you already have a version that includes payware please release it. I hope that version contains narrow gauge track I don't think I can bring myself to run standard gauge engines on that route!

I love your original version and still run trains on it often. I am looking forward to this new version. The screenshots look great.

Thanks for your continued efforts.

Paul
    if the jvc trees used earlier are the rocky mountain set, all those trees are now freeware.
    Great looking route , very nice , I downloaded the older TANE version recently and for some reason it was missing almost everything , but that was on my PC which does funny things with trainz downloads.....
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

I've got several versions of your D&S route installed in TRS19SP1. This is <kuid:429080:100009> DurangoToSilvertonTane_2 and I love it. I have to say that pencil42's 36ng track looks far better than what you show above. Seems like everyone is gripping about the lack of a good procedural 36ng track.

I'll be happy with whatever you produce, I'm sure.

BTW you are familiar with colorado71's buildings for this area aren't you? He has 42 buildings for Durango and 45 for Silverton.
    Last edited by normhart; January 27th, 2020 at 12:51 PM.
    Dear Oklahoma,
    With Love,
    California.