ATLS problems in TRS19

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me please as I have a route that's basically 600km long not a lot of scenery mainly just track but I have been placing ATLS crossings into it (the TRS19 versions) and what has been happening is the first time I use the crossing (the first train that crosses it) it functions correctly with the crossing not flashing or sounding the bell and the trigger gets activated when a train crosses it and goes off after the back has gone past but once I save the session and close it then reopen it every single crossing that one train has crossed constantly then goes off with the bell and lights going off until the next train passes and it's really frustrating me! Does anyone know how to fix this please? Thanks

Can you give me more details of the exact assets you are using. i.e. kuid numbers.

TRS19 SP1 seems to have thrown up problems with many of my assets. I'm still trying to understand most of them.
However, the only issue I've seen with ATLS is with the old method ATLS Slave. (This for me does different things in different routes so a bit confusing)

If you are using 'ATLS Slave(TF) TRS19' kuid2:76656:500012:14 then I suggest you replace it with the new method 'Slave - ATLS Slave Trigger TRS19' kuid2:76656:500040:1

The old Slave(TF), although using TRS19 calls is there for legacy reasons and still uses an invisible train. This asset will become obsolete. It may already be obsolete with SP1.

The new method, 'Slave Trigger' does the same job in a different way without an invisible train. It is, as its name suggests a 'Trigger' assest so you may need to lay a short section of invisible track to place it on. Full instructions are in the asset.
Using this may solve your problems but note that not all level crossings will work with it.

If you are using my UK style ATLS built-in Level crossings, make sure they are the 'new' versions too.

Boat

Also are you saving the session in Surveyor or are you saving in Driver? This used to be called a Saved Game but now it shows up as a session. Trainz has always had issues with scripted assets and saved games.

William

I think it is down to Trainz and its reading of assets. Sometimes on launch of the route the bells etc are sounding as you said until it is activated. The next time I launch the route all is working fine. I have noticed this with some other assets but none are the same each time.

Can you give me more details of the exact assets you are using. i.e. kuid numbers.

TRS19 SP1 seems to have thrown up problems with many of my assets. I'm still trying to understand most of them.
However, the only issue I've seen with ATLS is with the old method ATLS Slave. (This for me does different things in different routes so a bit confusing)

If you are using 'ATLS Slave(TF) TRS19' kuid2:76656:500012:14 then I suggest you replace it with the new method 'Slave - ATLS Slave Trigger TRS19' kuid2:76656:500040:1

The old Slave(TF), although using TRS19 calls is there for legacy reasons and still uses an invisible train. This asset will become obsolete. It may already be obsolete with SP1.

The new method, 'Slave Trigger' does the same job in a different way without an invisible train. It is, as its name suggests a 'Trigger' assest so you may need to lay a short section of invisible track to place it on. Full instructions are in the asset.
Using this may solve your problems but note that not all level crossings will work with it.

If you are using my UK style ATLS built-in Level crossings, make sure they are the 'new' versions too.

Boat

I'm using <kuid2:76656:500010:14>, <kuid2:76656:500041:2>, kuid2:134105:50030:1> and kuid2:76656:500016:13>

Hi Bradley,

Can you confirm that the assets you have listed are from different level crossing set-ups.

76656:500010 and 76656:500041 should not be used together on the same crossing. '500010' is the Controller, '500041' is the new combined Controller/Slave. ('500016' is the ATLS Trigger and '500030' is a tram signal)
You don't mention either style of basic Slave asset.
Each crossing needs either 500010 AND 500040, (Slave) OR just the combined asset, '500041'.

Also, you mentioned flashing lights and bells. These must come from the crossing you are using. What is the kuid number of that?

Boat

Hi Bradley,

Can you confirm that the assets you have listed are from different level crossing set-ups.

76656:500010 and 76656:500041 should not be used together on the same crossing. '500010' is the Controller, '500041' is the new combined Controller/Slave. ('500016' is the ATLS Trigger and '500030' is a tram signal)
You don't mention either style of basic Slave asset.
Each crossing needs either 500010 AND 500040, (Slave) OR just the combined asset, '500041'.

Also, you mentioned flashing lights and bells. These must come from the crossing you are using. What is the kuid number of that?

Boat

I think I have no idea what I'm doing with these crossings. Can you recommend each individual asset to use for ATLS crossings please. I'm also using the VR Flashing crossing lights.

What I've been using is the latest version of the slave unit on a piece of invisible track between crossing gates. And use the latest controller for the crossing(traffic stoppers connected with invisible track with controller on it, or track if there are no traffic stoppers). I only use individual assets such as crossing gates, traffic stoppers, etc., and don't use the assets where everything is one unit. So this might not be what you want or make any sense?
Dean

Last edited:
What I've been using is the latest version of the slave unit on a piece of invisible track between crossing gates. And use the latest controller for the crossing(traffic stoppers connected with invisible track with controller on it, or track if there are no traffic stoppers). I only use individual assets such as crossing gates, traffic stoppers, etc., and don't use the assets where everything is one unit. So this might not be what you want or make any sense?
Dean

Would you be able to give me a list of kuids please and a good thorough set of instructions on how to set them up to keep working as they should please if you don't mind.

Have you tried going to boat's website, which is very informative? I believe its listed when you click on any of his assets in game under the objects tab and click on properties button. Just clicking on any of his assets under properties usually have instructions also. I use all USA style assets as far as crossing(xing) gates, either jmanns or bnsf50's.
Dean

Last edited:
Make sure the Controllers are still named, weren't on my routes. named again and all now working.

I think I have no idea what I'm doing with these crossings. Can you recommend each individual asset to use for ATLS crossings please. I'm also using the VR Flashing crossing lights.

Hi Bradley, sorry for delayed reply.

As Danddhud syas, check out my website. A full list of all my ATLS assets is here http://www.boatztrainz.co.uk/atls.html

Tutorials are here http://www.boatztrainz.co.uk/tutorials.html

As a quick sum-up, ATLS started as a traffic junction controller which can also be used to controll train crossings.
The original set-up uses the original Controller, (the + shape) and a separate Slave. Plus the track Triggers.
Thats fine and still works if you want to use it. The FULL tutorial is here http://www.boatztrainz.co.uk/ATLS4.pdf

If you just want to control rail crossings and not road cars, then you can now use the Combined Controller/Slave asset. Plus the Triggers. See the LCM, (Level Crossing Mode) Tutorial here http://www.boatztrainz.co.uk/ATLS5.pdf

There is also a new style Slave. The old Slave uses an invisible train which is hungry on resorces but was the only way originally. Its best if you use the new style Slave which does the same job via script.
The problem is that not all crossings work as expected with the new style Slave. These older crossings will need their script changed to do so.

So both old and new style Slaves will work.... for the moment. It's possible the old style Slave will stop working in a future version of Trainz. So if you use that with it's invisible train, you may have to update it in the future.

Anyway, all info is in the Tutorials.

Naming should not be an issue for newly placed assets as they now autoname. Its assets from earlier Routes which did not auto name which are the problem. ALL ATLS assets MUST be called something The name box must not be deleted or left blank.
In practice its only the old Controller and Slave which have this problem. ATLS won't work if they are blank It's due to the new Trainz search systems which need it.

Regards,

Boat

Last edited:
Hi Bradley, sorry for delayed reply.

As Danddhud syas, check out my website. A full list of all my ATLS assets is here http://www.boatztrainz.co.uk/atls.html

Tutorials are here http://www.boatztrainz.co.uk/tutorials.html

As a quick sum-up, ATLS started as a traffic junction controller which can also be used to controll train crossings.
The original set-up uses the original Controller, (the + shape) and a separate Slave. Plus the track Triggers.
Thats fine and still works if you want to use it. The FULL tutorial is here http://www.boatztrainz.co.uk/ATLS4.pdf

If you just want to control rail crossings and not road cars, then you can now use the Combined Controller/Slave asset. Plus the Triggers. See the LCM, (Level Crossing Mode) Tutorial here http://www.boatztrainz.co.uk/ATLS5.pdf

There is also a new style Slave. The old Slave uses an invisible train which is hungry on resorces but was the only way originally. Its best if you use the new style Slave which does the same job via script.
The problem is that not all crossings work as expected with the new style Slave. These older crossings will need their script changed to do so.

So both old and new style Slaves will work.... for the moment. It's possible the old style Slave will stop working in a future version of Trainz. So if you use that with it's invisible train, you may have to update it in the future.

Anyway, all info is in the Tutorials.

Naming should not be an issue for newly placed assets as they now autoname. Its assets from earlier Routes which did not auto name which are the problem. ALL ATLS assets MUST be called something The name box must not be deleted or left blank.
In practice its only the old Controller and Slave which have this problem. ATLS won't work if they are blank It's due to the new Trainz search systems which need it.

Regards,

Boat

Thank you I will try this and let you know how I go.

My traffic lights aren't working with the new ATLS items. Is there any way to fix that?

Have you upgraded to the new components?

If you have, you have to ensure that all the components are named. There are instructions on how to do that within the setup.

For traffic lights I use the older style controllers and the older slave units (The ones found under the objects tab-not the ones under track objects). Of course I'm using TANE SP1, so probably of no use to someone using TRS19? For grade crossings I use the newer ones under track objects. If it's a crossing with gates/lights I connect a piece of say invisible red track from an ATLS traffic stopper and place the the controller on that. And for the slave I connect invisible blue track(Or whatever) between the crossing gates and place the slave on that piece of track. Make sure you click on properties button for controller and slave under track objects so you can check that the controller and slave see the gates(For the slave) and the stopper for the controller. Also you have to have the ATLS triggers on the track set to the same number obviously.

My traffic lights aren't working with the new ATLS items. Is there any way to fix that?

You need to open the route with the new ATLS assets and then do a save to rebuild the ATLS assets. The traffic lights will work after a short time, this is the reading time that assets take now to start their animation and work in driver. My old ATLS advanced demo still works in the beta TRS19 with the new assets. The newer assets don't need to be named anymore.

Last edited:
Back