Trouble with 297 120 ft Turntable Stub KUID 522774:100048

davoss

I would love to use the Turntable, accompaning Roundhouse and Stub but am having problems with the stub working. When I run a locomotive on the stub, it derails; the tender runs up the locomotive's rear-end and also derails. I would like to talk to the author of the set but do not know how to get in contact with him. His number is 522774. He did not put his name and contact information in the config.txt file. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Didrik
Manager, Everett & Monte Cristo Ry.

Sadly this user is no longer involved in Trainz. Sniper297 (Jim) hasn't been on the forums in sometime. These particular assets are quite difficult to setup even in the earlier days we'd end up with telescoping trains.

Although not as large, meaning 90ft instead of 120ft, this one is one piece so it doesn't have the additional parts to worry about.

<kuid2:87145:28056:1> CNR Roundhouse (Stratford)

I would love to use the Turntable, accompaning Roundhouse and Stub but am having problems with the stub working. When I run a locomotive on the stub, it derails; the tender runs up the locomotive's rear-end and also derails. I would like to talk to the author of the set but do not know how to get in contact with him. His number is 522774. He did not put his name and contact information in the config.txt file. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Didrik
Manager, Everett & Monte Cristo Ry.

Assembling turntable kits are tricky. That asset is by sniper297 and is a repaint of andi06's original.

My method for getting the stubs to connect correctly is
1. rotate stub until it exactly matches (in degrees) on the turntable where I want it
2. move the stub until it snaps into the position that exactly matches the correct connection point on the turntable

Never ever move the turntable after any stubs are attached. If you do you should probably start over from scratch.

Last edited:
Post #3 is very correct. Lately i have set-up turntables to work automatically. Once you get the hang on it, it works pretty well. When I get around it i'll make a tutorial here. Note, there are several tutorials already, but I found that if you follow them exactly, there are some problems. Basically, position your camera exactly vertical over the turntable (Andy06), and position the stubs until you feel they lock in place. (Can't find the exact place? Open the map so you can see the turntable in blue and see the 24 positions).

If using TRS19 I find the 120ft version defies all my efforts to make it work, I use the AJS tables though fairly small.
I will check out the one recommended by John.

I found the problem with the 297 Turntable kit - the KUID for the turntable stubs listed in the turntable config.txt file are wrong. The config.txt file references <kuid2:90361:1501:2> which is the original stub. I changed this to <kuid:522774:100048>, which is the stub created by sniper297. As a result, a locomotive would derail. Changing to sniper297's stub KUID solved the problem. Of course I also had to change his texture files from *.texture to *.tga using the PEVSoft Images2TGA.exe program and change category-class from "ZX" to "TR" so it could be imported into TR-19.

I would like to leave the name of the turntable as "297 120ft Tuntable" so it shows up next to the older version. Any problems with this?

Didrik
Manager, Everett & Monte Cristo Ry

I found the problem with the 297 Turntable kit - the KUID for the turntable stubs listed in the turntable config.txt file are wrong. The config.txt file references <kuid2:90361:1501:2> which is the original stub. I changed this to <kuid:522774:100048>, which is the stub created by sniper297. As a result, a locomotive would derail. Changing to sniper297's stub KUID solved the problem. Of course I also had to change his texture files from *.texture to *.tga using the PEVSoft Images2TGA.exe program and change category-class from "ZX" to "TR" so it could be imported into TR-19.

I would like to leave the name of the turntable as "297 120ft Tuntable" so it shows up next to the older version. Any problems with this?

Didrik
Manager, Everett & Monte Cristo Ry

Good work, I certainly hope there are no objections.

You can name anything you want since this asset is on your machine. The only issue that will occur is if you upload the route to the DLS because then the original unaltered asset will replace your revision.

My revision is under my name and user number with a new KUID number. The only common identifier is the name "297 120ft Turntable". My reason for doing this is to make sure it is listed next to the other 297 items. I am not trying to take away anything from Sniper297. In fact, I would prefer to have Sniper297 take the credit.

I plan to upload the revision to the DLS in the near future.

Didrik

My revision is under my name and user number with a new KUID number. The only common identifier is the name "297 120ft Turntable". My reason for doing this is to make sure it is listed next to the other 297 items. I am not trying to take away anything from Sniper297. In fact, I would prefer to have Sniper297 take the credit.

I plan to upload the revision to the DLS in the near future.

Didrik

If you plan on uploading, you might want to add in an suffix on the name such as "297 120ft Turntable - updated by DVoss" so that others will know there's a difference. It's confusing when there's a gazillion assets with the same name in Content Manager. The other thing too is to check the copyright permissions to ensure you can do this without a problem. I'm not sure how this works with this asset. Those that do a lot of uploading will know and hopefully they can chime in.

John,
Thanks for the suggestion. I will wait for others to provide additional guidance. I understand Sniper297 is no longer active on this site. I am not sure how to get in contact with him.
Didrik

I was able to assemble all the 297 components with success. However, when I tried to drive a locomotive onto the turntable, it derailed when it was on the 297 Turntable stub. I replaced the 297 stub with the <kuid2:90361:1501:2> stub, the locomotive drove onto the turntable, but it then drailed as it tried to enter a roundhouse bay.

Ghost42, I assume you did drive a locomotive onto the turntable and into a bay; and it worked without the changes I suggest... Strange.
Didrik

I was able to assemble all the 297 components with success. However, when I tried to drive a locomotive onto the turntable, it derailed when it was on the 297 Turntable stub. I replaced the 297 stub with the <kuid2:90361:1501:2> stub, the locomotive drove onto the turntable, but it then drailed as it tried to enter a roundhouse bay.

Ghost42, I assume you did drive a locomotive onto the turntable and into a bay; and it worked without the changes I suggest... Strange.
Didrik

I used the 297 turntable and stubs, not the roundhouse. I was happy with that as I cannot get the standard 200ft to turn.
I shall try the roundhouse and see if I can replicate it.

After a considerable amount of time playing with the 297 turntable kit, I have finally figured out what to do to make it work. But first, let me say the 297 turntable parts all work together correctly. I do not have to submit my change as previously discussed. Although, the attachment points in the turntable have a different kuid number than the 297 stubs, the 297 stubs will still attach correctly. Now a list of what I found.

1. Place the turntable first.
2. Connect the stubs and roundhouse parts as required. Before trying to connect these parts, rotate them to the 15 degree interval required (i.e. 15, 30,...180, 195, etc.). When moving these parts to the turntable, choose a spot slightly off from the connection point. If the part snaps into place, you know it attached correctly.
3. Once all the parts (stubs, roundhouse sections) are attached to the turntable, you should be able to move the turntable and the parts will follow. If one part does not move, it did not connect correctly.

I found that if a part does not seem to attach itself, delete it and replace it with a new one. I believe once Trainz saves some information on the position of that part, it cannot be changed and will never attach itself again to the turntable. The only way I could make that part attach itself to the turnout was to delete it and start over.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Didrik

davoss --

There remains one residual issue. Sometimes (not always) I've had reports from users of my layouts that stubs become detached and locomotives derail when running my sessions. It might work for me but some others, for reasons I don't understand, have a problem. It seems to happen with all the various versions of the 120ft turntable.

I suspect it might only relate to the stubs attached to the two positions that align directly with the orientation of the turntable itself -- the rest position of the rotating part. My suggestion is to avoid connecting stub tracks here. If possible.

Phik

The stall, not the stubs, are being a problem for me, it's like Scotty built Kirk a force field right at the stall door. A bit of experimentation shows it is in the stall part, not the stub part, not the turntable part.
Even laying another track over the turntable stub and stall track doesn't get around the problem.
It even happens when testing a stall part standing alone by itself.
It happens with or without the doors.
It happens with steam or diesel or speeder.

I've deleted and rebuilt the turntable and roundhouse several times.

It happens at the assembled turntable.
It happens with individual stalls out standing in the field.

Why am I using this turntable assembly, you ask?
You know, that's a good question, why does Trainz even have a surveyor mode anyway, shouldn't people just stick to only prepackaged routes and original skins?

49814922288_de699930bc_z.jpg

49815772022_475b9d1061_z.jpg

49815515971_29c5cd39f3_z.jpg

And then ...

... there's this occasional oddness as I've removed and reinstalled stalls while trying workarounds ...
49814976498_eff9266a1a_z.jpg

49814976538_9ef354aaa7_z.jpg

Last edited:
In addition to what others have said you need to level the ground all round and under the turntable and the roundhouse. Do this before you place the turntable and the stubs will connect with out too much trouble. I have used all the 120ft turntables on the DLS and the only trouble I find is that the 297 roundhouse is too low for some of the larger American locos.

Cheers,
Bill69

Eh, now, this is passing strange. I originally downloaded and set up Sniper297's turntable and stubs in T:ANE SP1 or before on my test route and it all worked fine. I have only used it rarely. Having installed 105766 in the interim, yesterday I went to test the updated UP 0-6-0 and hit the same issue as above.

After messing around with what was on my system and achieving the same results (Einstein, are you there?), I went to CM and determined that the assets including roundhouse are buit-in.

Next step was to delete the whole works and reinstall. Lo and get hold, it was markedly different. It lined up with my leads and spurs correctly but the roundhouse segments are about 1 or 2 meters anticlockwise leaving a little dighole showing on one side. The central dighole now shows inside the central pivot.

But most striking, the stubs are all built in! And in "TANE trk oak!" The ballast protrudes into the pit; the pit wall now is higher and above the railhead and in places the apron ballast is too, which makes it appear there is a gap in the rails. Yet it all works correctly, tested by running a loco over each connected line.

It appears that someone has reworked at least the turntable asset under the original KUID. Here is what is in my content; I don't find any other versions on the DLS:

<kuid:522774:100052> 297 120 ft Roundhouse
<kuid:522774:100054> 297 120 ft Roundhouse Left End
<kuid:522774:100055> 297 120 ft Roundhouse Right End
<kuid:522774:100048> 297 120 ft Turntable Stub
<kuid:522774:100056> 297 120 ft Turntable

all listed as built-in, author Sniper297.

Hello?

[I have not looked to see how the stubs are reflected in the config file but I suppose one could clone the TT and change the stubs to a taller rail....]

:B~|

Why not contact someone in the content repair group (CRG) to issue an update using your repair method? I’m reasonably confident that if you described the problem and the fixes you have cleverly worked out, they would likely accept the job because it’s all laid out for them to implement with minimal effort. The advantage would be that the update would continue to be under sniper297’s kuid numbers and all copyright issues taken care of for you/us.

Back