Train refuses to stop

rhban

On my latest, quite small layout, I have an AI train that refuses to stop at one station. Nothing special about the station, a DMT Invisible 200m that I have used in several other places in the same layout without problem. Nevertheless, I have tried renaming it and replacing it. I have also put a 30 kph speed limit so the train enters the station slowly. Oh, and I am using Drive To rather than Navigate To, and I have added Unload as well as Load to the instructions, but every time, the train slows almost to a stop at the centre of the station, then the Unload & Load disappear from the command line and off it goes.
Sorry I'm still on Build 95078, but up till now that has been a very stable platform, and I've had no trouble with AI trains since my last upgrade. Any suggestions welcome.

Sometimes, just sometimes, this problem is caused by the "size" of the station and the size of the train. Don't know the station you use, but if, let's say, you use an AJS 50 mt station, and the train that is supposed to stop, is quite large, it will overshoot. I was able to fix the problem by using a 110 mt AJS station. True that the train should not travel fast, but when you do a drive or navigate TO, that particular station, the train should slow down automatically for the complete stop. Make sure the wagons used have the same type of passengers the station has. This could be a source of confusion, as there are different types of passenger with own KUID's but the icon is the same! Then there is another thing: You use the "load" or "unload" command, but you could use the "load passenger" command, and it will open the doors, right or left as you program the menu. Another parameter is in the configuration menus, where you not only change the height of the passengers in the platform, but also the percentage of people that will move from wagons to platform or reverse, given by the "terminus" or "through" selections. Play with it, is fun.

Wow! Thanks for all of that. I do have a longish train, but it does stop at all the other DMT 200m stations I have, but I will experiment with load passenger. How do you get to (and edit?) the configuration menus?:)

Wow! Thanks for all of that. I do have a longish train, but it does stop at all the other DMT 200m stations I have, but I will experiment with load passenger. How do you get to (and edit?) the configuration menus?:)

In the scenery items pull-out menu, click on the ? then click on your station platform.

Thanks again. I'll have to check that out - I've never noticed a ? there, so I'll have to look harder.

I'm an idiot. Of course I've seen and used the ? - mainly to adjust the number of passengers or to change the station type, but I can't see anything there that might help me in this case. I will try your 'load passengers' suggestion

Aha! It seems that (in this build at least) the Load Passengers command does not exist. There are a number of unused "Instant Load" commands that don't seem particularly useful, not no Load Passengers.

Load Passengers is an old command, but still works well in T:ANE. KUID:2:192081:5:2 at DLS. If your passenger cars have doors you can see opening, this command will open whatever side you select based on the direction of traveling, and it allows for stop time to be set. The non stop situation at the station must be investigated via logic deduction: What happens when it is a single loco? what if there are just a few cars? Setting the station on a test track with NOTHING added, such a signals,, points, or any track object, does the train stop? Drive or navigate TO should work.

Solution?

Solved, I think. I've inserted a stop at trackmark command just before the station, followed by a wait 10 seconds. This, apparently, gives the train time to "take control" of the station. I've only found this necessary before where I had a) a number of trains passing through a station fairly close together and b) where the trains were approaching from different, converging tracks. None of this applies here, as the train I was concerned with was the very first to reach that particular station, but there it is: if it works, stick with it!

Just a piece of advice: the next time you go travel, make sure to book a tour that provides a good train. I seriously can’t imagine how scary it is when you are sitting on the train and it breaks down. Must have been very scary! I have traveled by train too. But I got a reisen einen Tag tour. It was a shot trip to Germany by train and I enjoyed it very much. I could see many beautiful landscape through the windows of the train. It was magical just like in the movies!

Last edited:
Just a piece of advice: the next time you go travel, make sure to book a tour that provides a good train.

My work around is: nav to station; wait 10 seconds ; load/unload passengers , then carry on with the rest of the commands.

Dave

In some instances I've run into were caused by having signals too close to the platforms. This causes the AI to speed passed the stations and then stop a bit later in with an Oops moment. Adjusting the placement and also the type of signals helped, but it took me a bit of trial and error.

I always tell the AI to navigate to the station (industry) and add wait 30 seconds. No passenger train stops for a mere 10 seconds anyway or there would be a few accidents! Remember the AI will stuff up whenever it feels like it, just to see if you're awake, that's Rule #1 in Trainz. :hehe:

Back