bulk "replace assets " doesnt always work

dangavel

On the revamped Timber ridge line, using TANE sp3 i merged several other routes I'd been working on. These contained a number of textures and trees that aren't on the DLS . My intention is to use only assets off the DLS .
Ive used the bulk asset replacement tool on a number of occasions and tried to replace these with other items of my own or items on the DLS. Despite this, these items still manage to be around in various parts of the route, particularly the textures. My worry is, if I delete these items, I'm going to encounter a lot of bare patches of ground within the route when its uploaded to the DLS . Has anyone else come across this issue of only partial replacement ? might it be something to do with a merge?

You probably already know this, but I'll mention it just in case you don't. There is a drop-down menu in the bottom/left of the Bulk Asset Replace panel that specifies what area is affected (Anywhere on route, Current section only, Selected area). Is it possible that you didn't always have "Anywhere on Route" selected?

You probably already know this, but I'll mention it just in case you don't. There is a drop-down menu in the bottom/left of the Bulk Asset Replace panel that specifies what area is affected (Anywhere on route, Current section only, Selected area). Is it possible that you didn't always have "Anywhere on Route" selected?

yeah, I have explored that option, and no doubt i have made that mistake a few times , just chosen a specific area ( and I often do this as a precaution to void making horrendous mistakes all over the route) but I keep on getting the same jango textures springing up over and over again after I've supposedly deleted them from the entire route.
I also only tend to use one route layer as i find I get more mistakes when i use a lot of them , so that's not a cause either .
ON another tangent, I know that often I make changes and save the route and then come back and find i have to do them again , usually with track laying where i drop track into a fill .Often its a while after I've done it, so i cant be absolutely sure its occurred, but its happened enough for me to know that either I'm going senile ( which IS a possibility ) or its happening randomly every so often .
Its a bit like those random assets one just finds, that you know you have never ever used on the route and which you occasionally come across , such as beach umbrellas in the middle of a forest , or those deep spiky terrain depressions that suddenly appear on terrain that you know was ok a few weeks ago ( to be fair to NV3 that used to happen a lot more in the past ) . I guess its just program glitches or me being incompetent by clicking accidentally and entering the item into the route, but these rogue items I come across never seem to be added to the asset list of the route so it is rather mysterious. .

Not entirely satisfactory in TANE when replacing Ground Textures, work round is to do it in selected areas.
Or
Delete in Manage content (keep a copy cdp if required in other routes so you can reinstall it later) remove missing assets and re-texture the gaps which I found easier.

Not entirely satisfactory in TANE when replacing Ground Textures, work round is to do it in selected areas.
Or
Delete in Manage content (keep a copy cdp if required in other routes so you can reinstall it later) remove missing assets and re-texture the gaps which I found easier.
Unfortunately sections of these merged routes have very complex texturing as I made them when I first started doing routes and they are over textured in some cases, many textures on textures , far too complex, replacing this melange is a looooong process, in some cases just easier to redo entire sections.i can see getting this ready for DLS is going to take ages. :(My fault tho for using a lot of trains Italia textures when I acquired Donner pass etc..

So it seems you are saying it's not really a problem with the Bulk Asset Replacement tool itself, but more one of identifying which ground textures need replacement?

So it seems you are saying it's not really a problem with the Bulk Asset Replacement tool itself, but more one of identifying which ground textures need replacement?

No, its the bulk replacement tool, if its applied to the whole route and saved I later find that the same texture comes up as still existing on the ground even tho it has supposedly been replaced. . i am wondering if it has to do with merging , as these particular sections where the textures are still there are usually the merged ones , perhaps its not seeing it as the same route .

i was just wondering if this is unique to me or if anyone else has the same issue.

Its only really a problem as I want all assets to be available on the DLS, these are small bits of texture in general, not big sections and if they are missing there's going to be lot of tiny grey base color bits all over the place which is going to look awful. I note a few Trainz italia assets are being uploaded recently to DLS, might be an idea for me to ask jango if these can be uploaded to the DLS or not. That would solve the issue .

Are they still listed as dependencies? You can check if there is a problem by just disabling the textures and see if there are any visible gaps?

Are they still listed as dependencies? You can check if there is a problem by just disabling the textures and see if there are any visible gaps?
Yes they are, but the so are a lot of items by sir Gibby which were only present on boards which were actually deleted before I merged the routes together ( which is why I suspect that the merge has done something to the asset list) . I'll see what disabling them will look like .

There is also a highly unorthodox method which has worked for me in the past with recalcitrant textures.
Disable the required texture, delete missing assets in route, open Bulk Replace tool and choose get object from world. Click on grid where "missing" texture has been deleted and update grid with texture of choice. This method does have drawbacks (eg. no texture rotation, fills any empty grid so one texture at a time) and I only use it as a last resort, but it always works.
cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
There is also a highly unorthodox method which has worked for me in the past with recalcitrant textures.
Disable the required texture, delete missing assets in route, open Bulk Replace tool and choose get object from world. Click on grid where "missing" texture has been deleted and update grid with texture of choice. This method does have drawbacks (eg. no texture rotation, fills any empty grid so one texture at a time) and I only use it as a last resort, but it always works.
cheers
Graeme

cheers guys will try some of these suggestions out .

Back