'12 to '19 grid repair

rick1958

Howdy folks,
I wasn't sure where to put this.
I imported a route from '12 to '19. At first glance, everything looks fine, but apon going to wireframe mode, many of of the boards are missing the wireframe mesh. I know you can heal digholes using copy and paste, but no luck here.
I thought ...maybe,,,if I saved the route to a cdp...delete the installed route , then reinstall, it might force the program to rebuild the wire mesh.
Is there a fix for this? Anyone else run into the same problem?
Turning off wireframe and it looks fine, but trying to do any contour work, and it's obviously not "normal"
Thanks and everyone have a great evening!

We have an open bug about corrupted terrain that sounds similar to this. I would suggest resaving in TS12 and retrying.

You could also try updating the corrupt baseboards in TS12 to 5m grid (or 10m if they are 5) then resaving as that may help (just a guess at options open to you).

We have an open bug about corrupted terrain that sounds similar to this. I would suggest resaving in TS12 and retrying.

You could also try updating the corrupt baseboards in TS12 to 5m grid (or 10m if they are 5) then resaving as that may help (just a guess at options open to you).

Thanks Tony. I tried the 10 to 5 grid conversion thinking the same thing...no luck. One thing that I noticed is it appears to be areas where I was playing heavily with PBR textures. Maybe just a coincidence. BTW. That saved version crashed and became completely unloadable. There's about 3 hours of work...gone.

From time to time, I've experienced that problem in TS19, but I have no idea what causes it. It happened on routes that were being created in TS19.

Joe

ok...so it's a known issue, but does it do any harm other then not being able to work in wireframe mode?

ok...so it's a known issue, but does it do any harm other then not being able to work in wireframe mode?

I don't think so, but it might be worth a try on a test copy.

You might want to try this too:

Get the texture of the route in that area.

Reapply the same texture using the smallest radius cursor you can get.

That seems to force the ground to update and fill in blank spots.

I don't think so, but it might be worth a try on a test copy.

You might want to try this too:

Get the texture of the route in that area.

Reapply the same texture using the smallest radius cursor you can get.

That seems to force the ground to update and fill in blank spots.

Thanks John, I'll give that a shot, but I have entire boards go blank.
When first imported, the entire route is fine, but after making any terrain
modifications, some boards go blank, while others maintain the grid

Thanks John, I'll give that a shot, but I have entire boards go blank.
When first imported, the entire route is fine, but after making any terrain
modifications, some boards go blank, while others maintain the grid

Yes this is what I experienced. I ended up selecting the blank area and reapplied the texture I had selected and everything appeared.

Hey John...I tried a small area...and nothin :(
As an experiment I'm going to attempt an entire board. Stay tuned ;)

Hey John...I tried a small area...and nothin :(
As an experiment I'm going to attempt an entire board. Stay tuned ;)

Give that a try, but try this also.

Create a single board route.

Merge your "bad" route into the single board route.

I've had that fix all kinds of weird things.

ok, Here's what I've found..
One of the first things I tried was cloning...no luck Malc, but good idea, thanks
Using the surrounding texture worked... sometimes... for me. I don't know if it was simply a coincidence, but using the Grid PBR testure worked everytime. Just had to touch the texture to the board with a mouse click and the board grid reappeared.
Again, maybe a coincidence, but another thing is, if the route is saved with the missing grid, nothing brought it back.
So, on the route I'm working on, I pruned back all the boards I wanted to remove
Went through the route in wireframe mode and repaired all the missing grid and THEN saved.
I've done about a half dozen additional saves since then, including terrain work, and the grid has held.
So, that's that. Hope someone finds it useful

Rick

Edit: New discovery this morning. Attempting to go from 10 to 5 meter grid buys a one way ticket to Nogridville. Nothing will rebuild the grid.
I hope this whole imported-grid thing is sorted out by Auran. Being able to import from past versions is nice, but this grid issue is certainly a handicap.
I wonder if the grid issue is only a '12 issue? I'll have to check out an '04 route one day.

Last edited:
Back