Question for Editing Existing Sessions

Heinrich505

I am trying to edit an existing session for the Mojave Sub Route in TRS19, version 105096 (non-plus). The session is the DPU Push.

I open the route, click on the session, and then click on Edit Session. I am now in surveyor.

In surveyor, I switch out engines on the two consists that I will be controlling in the session, the two Pusher engines and the huge coal consist. I then make sure the correct engines are assigned to the correct drivers.

I save the session with a new session name (DPU PushNewEngines), but don't save the route - I'm just changing engines and nothing else.

When I start the session, I see the correct instructions and even correct navigations marks...at first. When I get to the spot where I uncouple several coal cars, the navigation signs stop working and so do the instructions.

Have I missed a step or done something wrong in the editing process? Or is it not possible to properly edit sessions that come with the game?

Thanks for any assistance or help on this. I thought I correctly followed the instructions in the Trainz Help and Wiki that I looked up. Perhaps I have not.

Heinrich505

Not having TRS19, only T:ANE this may be wrong. But I'm wondering it that session has more than one navigation display? If so, you'd need to make sure the second and any other Navigation Display is trigger by the new engine and if the engines are listed in the navigation display, it has also been updated.

The session could be using rules such as the Trigger Check Rule or Navigation Display Rule or Driver commands such as WaitForTrigger that are programmed to respond to locos by their type and/or name. By switching out the locos with different ones you would have changed their type and possibly their name.

Interesting. When I looked at the commands listed to the engine that I swapped out, they seemed to be there. I'll have to go back and check.

I checked the commands assigned to the drivers I would be controlling, but those seemed to be nominal. The session calls for you to drive the engines, so they don't have AI commands throughout the session.

Session rules were extensive and covered from beginning to end. None of these were changed, so I would expect that everything would work properly even though an engine was changed.

However, I did notice some interesting things in the rules. As y'all have noted, the session might be geared specifically to the engines that come with the session and not allow for any changes related to them, perhaps due to specific timing of events and triggers which would be set with expectations on how fast or powerful the engines were. There was a rule to check for derailment at any speed above 25mph. That was interesting - I've noted some derailments for no reason, further on into the session, with the original engines, but interestingly enough, at speeds around 15mph. With the newer JR Tunnel Moters substituted in for the original session engines, it is possible to go faster than 25mph, at least early on before Caliente, and the speed limits before that point are 55mph and then 30mph. They don't slip to 25mph until after Caliente. My highest speed in that area was 28mph - the JR Tunnel Motors are really powerful beasts.

I have not driven the new Tunnel Motor substitutions beyond the grade after Caliente, simply because the session is not working right, navigation instructions are not appearing, and completed tasks are not disappearing when completed, such as the uncoupling of cars on the spur outside of Caliente.

I've come to the conclusion that this, and probably most of the N3V sessions with the game, are resistant to editing the motive power, due to the extensive set of rules that go with them. If you are editing scenery or environment/time settings, the session will likely still work as expected. Thank-you all for the kind suggestions. I appreciate them.

Heinrich505

If it is a N3V session, then it wouldn't surely let you edit it? However It might let you clone it and edit that version, maybe? Triggers themselves, especially if one is set to provide navigation displays will usually and certainly with the latter be set by the actual loco. If the session rules aren't change to be triggered by your loco, then yes, it isn't going to work. Without seeing an example, hard to be more precise.

Back