Saving routes and sessions

Joseethielen

When I created a new route in Trainz 19 and added some trains in routw surveyor I choose Save route and session (I call it, lets say session a). I start editing the session with the trains I have added. The next time I work on my route and choose Save route and do not save session. But when I want to add one more train later I do not see this it in my session a.I have to create a new session from the beginning, also the trains I have already a given commands like drive to, couple etc. Is it possible to add trains later to a session I have already created and saved. I don,t remember I had this problem with TANE

In terms of Routes, Sessions and Layers, I have seen no difference between TANE and T19.

I always work with only one Session per Route.

1. Select Route - Tampa Port
  2. Select Session - Tampa Port s
  3. Edit Session
  4. Go into layers tab - Select Route Layer
  5. Add/ Change/ Delete rails trains, scenery, anything/everything etc.
  6. To test - Click Tools / Quick Drive
  7. In the Save popup box I go with the defaults - Overwrite Existing Route and Overwrite Existing Session

On exiting from QuickDrive I do NOT save.

If you forget 4 (I often do) you will have added things into the Session Layer. Merge the Session Layer into the Route Layer as soon as you remember.

Other people have their preferred method. The above works for me in TANE and T19.

As Ecco points out, there is no difference between TANE and TRS19 in how routes and sessions work and you will need to find a method of working that suites you.

Trains can be placed in the Route (route layers) or in the Session (session layers). If you place them in the Session then you will need to load that Session each time you want to edit them. If you place them in the Route then you will still have to load that Session if you want to edit their driver commands and loads because that data is always stored in the Session.

The safest option is to always load the Session when editing a Route.

Hi, sorry to hijack this old thread but I am not clear on the correct procedures:

When I open a route to edit it then hit save, sometimes it will not let me overwrite the existing session which I have called "Primary". Changing or saving a new session then results in my losing driver any commands which I have previously added.

If I open the session and switch to the route layer it then doesn't offer an option to save the route, even when changes have been made in the route layer.

If I open the route to edit it will then not allow me to do a quick drive to test anything I've edited on it.

It is all very confusing, I would basically like one route and one session per route and to be able to save them independently and open quick drive from route editor. Anyone know where I am going wrong?

Last edited:
If you select the route for edit you will get a blank new default session.
If you select the session for editing you will get the route and saved session.
If you do work that is only in the session, it may not ask you to save the route.
If you do work on the route it will ask to save both the route and session.
You can not do a quick drive from the select route, you have to select sessions and then the drive session.

Awesome, very clear thank you! So the correct procedure whenever you want to modify the route but also test it would be open the session then change the layer as required before saving and over writing depending on the changes made.

Yes, once you have done a save you can then press Ctrl + F2 keys together to go straight into driver mode. Make sure your save is before entering driver because any save then will save the route position at that point in time and leave trains out of their starting position.

Back