Running on laptop

"An i5 16 gigs with an RTX 2070 and an SSD would be near the sweet spot for most people on cost / performance."

Just how relevant are the CPU cores/threads to performance?

The little reading I have done seems to suggest that it is the software that takes advantage of these.

Does Trainz??

Cheers
Terry

Last edited:
"An i5 16 gigs with an RTX 2070 and an SSD would be near the sweet spot for most people on cost / performance."

Just how relevant are the CPU cores/threads to performance?

The little reading I have done seems to suggest that it is the software that takes advantage of these.

Does Trainz??

Cheers
Terry

I run a 6 core xeon so 12 cores with hyperthreading. Using perfmon to monitor the cores I looked at core 11 whilst running TS19 in driver. There was activity on core 11.

Which brings you back to price performance yes a $20,000 system will outperform a $5,000 system but by how much and will you notice the difference?

If you run with 64 gigs of memory by the way Win 10 will use it to cache the SSDs or hard drives so yes you will get better performance but it is marginal and the cost for the improvement is quite high.

Cheerio John

Thanks for your helpful comments John, (and others).

Now that I'm talking tower build, I'm straying away from the subject of this thread so I'll get my thoughts together and post a separate thread on my ideas on a proposed build.

This should throw my ideas open to comments from more people but, I hope to see comments from the same folk too :wave:

It will be a while before I get things together so cheerio for now.

Cheers
Terry

Back