Running on laptop

edwagofwv

Looking at an HP 17.3" laptop. Other than W10 which I may backgrade wondering if the following specs will let 2019 run and/or earlier version of Trainz?
[h=1]AMD Ryzen 7 - 16GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 has a 1T drive too.[/h]
Thanks to anyone that can help.

Thanks for getting back so soon AND for the link. That will help a lot more than just a yes or no for one set of specs.
Great weekend to you.
Ed

If you're shopping around, check this site here:

https://www.pcmag.com/deals

I get the email from them daily and there are some nice machines listed and at reasonable prices. They're not off brands either and are machines by MSI, Dell, Lenovo, and other top names. The machines and things listed have links to the manufacturer's website so you can look around and purchase directly from them.

err, i don't know why nobody mentioned this, but if you are running an AMD Vega card, you wont be able to use Turf FX as its a nvidia feature only.

err, i don't know why nobody mentioned this, but if you are running an AMD Vega card, you wont be able to use Turf FX as its a nvidia feature only.

Think that only applies to Macs as it does state TurfFx is only supported in Windows not that you have to have Nvidia GPU.

This is not true.

TurfFX is fully supported on both NVidia and AMD graphics cards with Windows. Hence why there is no mention of AMD/NVidia graphics cards on the Trainz Store in regards to this.

However, unfortunately at the current time, it is not possible to support TurfFX on Mac irrespective of the graphics card being used in the Mac.

Regards

This is not true.

TurfFX is fully supported on both NVidia and AMD graphics cards with Windows. Hence why there is no mention of AMD/NVidia graphics cards on the Trainz Store in regards to this.

However, unfortunately at the current time, it is not possible to support TurfFX on Mac irrespective of the graphics card being used in the Mac.

Regards

Ah well that sorts me out, sorry I was responsible for disseminating 'fake news" :).
If you were running windows under boot camp on a mac with an AMD card would Turf FX be usable then ?

Hi Dangavel
Not a problem, just trying to ensure things are accurate :)

For running windows under bootcamp, in theory it should work (as in most cases, it shouldn't be overly different to running windows on equivalent PC hardware) but we don't actively test with bootcamp so it's possible that it may not work perfectly.

Regards

Alienware Area 51-M laptop

There are many versions, (some also VERY expensive) of this widely reviewed 'gaming' laptop which seems to be suggested in many 'best gaming laptops' articles as the number one choice.

At the upper end of models offered it seems to sport the top end Nvidia graphics cards along with top end CPUs and amount of memory.

My questions are simply; would the top spec versions run TRS19 at acceptable frame rates and settings, (high or even ultra) and has anyone actually tried one?

Kind regards to all
Terry

There are many versions, (some also VERY expensive) of this widely reviewed 'gaming' laptop which seems to be suggested in many 'best gaming laptops' articles as the number one choice.

At the upper end of models offered it seems to sport the top end Nvidia graphics cards along with top end CPUs and amount of memory.

My questions are simply; would the top spec versions run TRS19 at acceptable frame rates and settings, (high or even ultra) and has anyone actually tried one?

Kind regards to all
Terry

It depends purely on the content. TS19 will run on integrated graphics with the right content. ie Middleton for laptops. Whatever you buy given poor assets Trainz can bring it to its knees. Some sketchup models are the worse. Rule of thumb a passwark 3D score of 10,000 https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php is normally considered reasonable.

Cheerio John

Hi John,

Thanks for that.

The graphics card is an RTX 2080, (mobile version I presume) which has a 3D score of 1329 and ranking of 23 so along with an i9 CPU and 32GB ram should I expect a satisfactory result do you think? Perhaps an i7 and 16GB would be sufficient?

Cheers
Terry

Hi John,

Thanks for that.

The graphics card is an RTX 2080, (mobile version I presume) which has a 3D score of 1329 and ranking of 23 so along with an i9 CPU and 32GB ram should I expect a satisfactory result do you think? Perhaps an i7 and 16GB would be sufficient?

Cheers
Terry

John Citron did some testing with TS12 and TANE, same route, same assets. The CPU ran cooler and the GPU ran warmer on TANE, the frame rates were better. TANE / TS19 are very similar so I strongly suspect an i5 with a heavy graphics card and 16 gigs of memory would do fine.

Having said that the layout size, ie very large layouts can make an impact as can heavily scripted assets they both can put the demand up on the CPU.

One problem with laptops is heat, so a gaming one can be a bit noisy and basically you're paying for low power components. You will almost certainly need to be plugged in. If you have the space a desktop is a lot cheaper. Another problem with laptops is if the video card doesn't cut it it is too expensive to replace so you end up going to the more expensive options.

I might go dellrefurbished xeon with something like an RTX 2070 full tower plus a lower end laptop. Say a 1660 TI mobile cost about $1,500 for the i7 laptop and $1,000 for the tower.

Cheerio John

So, for a new tower for running Trainz exclusively, what would be your idea of a setup to give smooth running on a larger route with everything set at the higher end?

All opinions would be more than welcome.

Cheers
Terry

So, for a new tower for running Trainz exclusively, what would be your idea of a setup to give smooth running on a larger route with everything set at the higher end?

All opinions would be more than welcome.

Cheers
Terry

The content is created by the community, some is much more efficient than others. You have a set of performance sliders to set to get reasonable frame rates.

Then you get into price performance. UK prices are higher than I would pay locally.

The video card is central. https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php but click on video card value and it gets interesting.

It's normally accepted that a score of 10,000 is a good trade off point. I'd go RTX 2070 but there are combinations of assets that will run slow even on that card so a faster card would be used occasionally.

Dell G5 machines are the reasonably priced ones but they max at a 2060 card. A refurbished dell full tower workstation running a xeon processor and 16 gigs are built to run cool but they have limited height for the video card and by putting it together yourself you don't have a years warrenty. Also they vary as to what is available. They do have 6 core xeons around sometimes and watch the memory. They are not easy to upgrade the memory as they use ECC memory which isn't cheap. Dell alien line have 2080 and 2080 ti machines but the i9 is overkill. Having said that it works and is available.

You pays your money and take your choice.

Cheerio John

As you said a CPU I9, 2080, and I would guess that 32 - 64 GB RAM would be overkill for Trainz ?

Depends exactly what you want to run but I guarantee you I could still build a layout that would bring it to it's knees with the wrong assets.

An i5 16 gigs with an RTX 2070 and an SSD would be near the sweet spot for most people on cost / performance.

Cheerio John

Back