Camera tutorial?

autodctr

Maybe it's because I am old and senile, but I cannot seem to find any info on installing and using a trackside camera. I have looked all over here, and on Google, and I even managed to get a camera on a test track, but I have no idea how I did it nor how to make it work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Download: "camera guide" <kuid:70337:23048> A blue guide to place cameras with a 200m radius (656.2 foot) and a 32m pole at the canter to help place the camera.

A camera has a maximum of a 400 meter (1212.4 foot) total distance rotating viewing range.

You can place several cameras much closer together than that, and the different camera views will respond/change accordingly.

In Surveyor Tools tab: Look straight down on the track, zoomed in. Place a Tracking (rotating) camera @ 5 meters beyond the track side. Using the Page Up/Page Down, and the R arrow, or L arrow, KB keys, and the mouse, move or rotate the camera around into position, and then slam the camera down all the way, and it will partially embed in the ground, giving you a lowest, closest up, field of view angle. When satisfied with the camera placement, hit the ruler button, and the camera will set itself there.

Using Static cameras, in conjunction with Tracking cameras, sometimes makes 2 camera scenes jump violently back and forth.

The best way to learn, is to tug and pull someone else's route apart, and learn exactly how they did it, and then press: "Don't Save", and the route will close, and will remain unchanged, as it originally was.

Last edited:
OK. I got a camera placed. Now what? I was assuming (and I could be very wrong here) that you could use the camera while in drive mode. If so, how? I cannot find anything anywhere to activate or use the camera.

Press the KB numeral 3
1 is inside the Cab view
2 is Chase view
3 is trackside Camera view
4 is Freeroam view

Since very few people have a drone, or helicopter, to chase alongside trains using KB numeral 2, I set my cameras down low as a human eye view height of 5' 8", never higher above a mountain, hill, bridge, or rooftop, height.

Last edited:
I have been gathering info, testing, and reporting on in How to Place and Use a Camera, in the Trainz Wiki HowTo section

Back